help with new bike

Related:
Create New Tag

2/18/2011 4:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2011 4:33 AM

First off, yes this is a re-post because when i tried adding pictures in my previous thread it would freeze up every time i tried to submit the post. I'm sorry if i offend anyone for creating two of the same article here.

The Issue

Bought 3 bike frames and bike parts, all identical parts and bikes except for color and a few very none threatening changes.

[img][LINK TO IMAGE][/img]

Put all three bikes together and never had a problem with the first 2 but this third one is nothing but trouble.

The third bike (the red one) will not take a crank set. Last night i posted this issue but none of the comments were a resolve. Whats happening is the spindle is so tights that there is serious friction when turning the arms. I had to hammer the spindle into the BB with a LOT of force, the spindle spacer that sits inside the BB is moving freely around and i can here it clicking and hitting the spindle every time i pedal or jump the bike. The bearings where nearly impossible to get into the BB as well, i use a home made press that has never failed me and when i used it to put these bearings into the frame, the bearings were sitting about 2 mm out of the frame, but when i stuck my finger inside the BB i could feel that there were tight against the flange inside the BB that stops the bearings from going to far in.

This is the bike that is giving me problems, i dont knwo if the crank set if messed up or if the frame is messed up, but there is something not right with this. What are your comments, is this normal? should i actually have to hammer a spindle into the BB? should the spacer actually be loose and banging around in there?

I don't think it has anything to do with the brand names i am using as i have built 2 other identical bikes, just different colors and there were no issues with them.

|

Brennan Huff: "I'm so scared right now. I'm just gonna to do what's sensible, I'm gonna file for unemployment. Then I'm gonna try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they got an excellent corporate structure and they... *they* give *you* the tools to be your own boss."

2/18/2011 5:10 AM

why would u want 3 identical bikes that are different colors?

|

In Order To Succed, Your Desire For Success Should Be Greater Then Your Fear Of Failure.
Refs: Tibug, Aw1234512, Jb07

2/18/2011 6:19 AM

I had a similar issue with my new Cult frame.. the bb spacer from my black pearl was too short -- 42mm (i had a bike shop measure it).. so i bought a 52mm from Dan's, because if you don't have the exact right spacer in between the bearings will collapse inward.. also you might want to make a bb tool.. with parts from a hardware store.. for around $15 like i did.. because hammering may not immediately damage your bearings.. but i suspect it will shorten the life of your bb..

this

helps a lot too..

and always use the exact right spacer.. you'll damage the bb and maybe the frame otherwise..
|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand

2/18/2011 6:31 AM

you dont even have to run a bb spacer i never do cuz i like to try crank flips and when you leave that spacer in makes your cranks not spin as freely so i just leave it out i asked albes if that was fine to do and they said alot of people do that and i dont affect anything mechanicly

|

bike check http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/ONE-TOUGHT-PODRE,1235558

[LINK TO IMAGE]

refs: fitbikeco77, iridebmxeveryday, nickkkk, floka myers, tinybikerider33, bmxihb321, beastassdick, lee rager

2/18/2011 6:33 AM

PunxBmxUnite wrote:

why would u want 3 identical bikes that are different colors?

this

|

[b]( . Y . )` ~ ~ ` ~

2/18/2011 6:34 AM

jbeaton13 wrote:

you dont even have to run a bb spacer i never do cuz i like to try crank flips and when you leave that spacer in makes your cranks not spin as freely so i just leave it out i asked albes if that was fine to do and they said alot of people do that and i dont affect anything mechanicly

you can crush your bearings espesially if you have cranks like profiles cause you have to crank the arms really tight

|

[b]( . Y . )` ~ ~ ` ~

2/18/2011 6:52 AM

why not have 3 bikes? this summer i had my main bike break and i was out a bike for over 6 weeks till i got my warranty fix, so i went to get a second setup and decided i liked the two color schemes so i bought 2 different set ups. do what feels good, right?

I will never run without a spindle spacer as i have already collapsed a bearing setup because of this. one thing that just came to mind is my spindle may be bent from factory, i remember this happened to my old mirraco bike. as for the spacer being to short, that could be the issue as well, i will take out spacer and go to my LBS, ill check spindle as well for any untrue signs..

|

Brennan Huff: "I'm so scared right now. I'm just gonna to do what's sensible, I'm gonna file for unemployment. Then I'm gonna try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they got an excellent corporate structure and they... *they* give *you* the tools to be your own boss."