hollowbites insert spinning/pedal removal

Related:
Create New Tag

3/9/2011 3:47 PM

finally bought odyssey plastics to match my frame replacing those SHIT primos

on one side when trying to get the pedal out the insert with the thread the pedal goes into is spinning.
basically i need to get the pedal out, what do i do. im sitting in the kitchen its mid night and im annoyed, i want my new pedal on

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 3:50 PM

its 5pm here haha

|

3/9/2011 3:50 PM

TJ.dougherty wrote:

its 5pm here haha

thats nice. any ideas?

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 3:59 PM

ok so brute force doesnt work.

do none of u mother fuckers run hollowbites?

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 4:01 PM

Primos = Too many problems.

|

3/9/2011 4:02 PM

Kenealy wrote:

Primos = Too many problems.

thanks. thats really helpful

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 4:05 PM

well only thing i can think of is trying to get a clamp small enough to clamp to the inside of the pedal insert and the crank itself to keep it from moving but that cud mess your cranks up if dont wrong.

|

refs= BEASTASSDICK , Tommyboy

3/9/2011 4:08 PM

dakiddjai93 wrote:

well only thing i can think of is trying to get a clamp small enough to clamp to the inside of the pedal insert and the crank itself to keep it from moving but that cud mess your cranks up if dont wrong.

thanks dude, its worth a crack i guess. im SO angry. every single thing i do on my bmx fucks up, its always me and its pissing me off. buy new frame....integrated seatclamp doesnt work. new pedals, cranks fucked. new headset, bearing race on forks crumbles out. i need a joint

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 4:22 PM

Verde. wrote:

thanks dude, its worth a crack i guess. im SO angry. every single thing i do on my bmx fucks up, its always me and its pissing me off. buy new frame....integrated seatclamp doesnt work. new pedals, cranks fucked. new headset, bearing race on forks crumbles out. i need a joint

damn dude i feel your pain. primos do suck doe. thats why i kept my stealths for so long. im waiting for someone to make a good pair of cranks at my price range ckus im not rich to throw money into garbage. if anything try to take it to a bikeshop nd let them take a crack at it. if anything they might be able to get primo to send you a new arm.

|

refs= BEASTASSDICK , Tommyboy

3/9/2011 4:24 PM

dakiddjai93 wrote:

damn dude i feel your pain. primos do suck doe. thats why i kept my stealths for so long. im waiting for someone to make a good pair of cranks at my price range ckus im not rich to throw money into garbage. if anything try to take it to a bikeshop nd let them take a crack at it. if anything they might be able to get primo to send you a new arm.

the whole reason i got them was my mate sold me them for 50 quid, theyr great i love them...until now. like im tryna decide, do i just go full force and try get it out and hope the thread stops stripping?

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 4:28 PM

i would just get the clamp and tighten it as hard as possible and try once or twice to take it out. if that doesnt work then idk what will/

|

refs= BEASTASSDICK , Tommyboy

3/9/2011 4:33 PM

its just such an expensive error if i fuck up, i dont have £ 140 lying around

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 4:36 PM

well idk what to tell you buddy. try some liquid wrench too to loosen up the pedal will probably come out with less force

|

refs= BEASTASSDICK , Tommyboy

3/9/2011 4:41 PM

dakiddjai93 wrote:

well idk what to tell you buddy. try some liquid wrench too to loosen up the pedal will probably come out with less force

il give the bit the pedal axle goes into a wash out and try get some of the shit out. i appreciate the help man

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 4:43 PM

If there is an allen wrench hole on the back of the pedal try that.

|


Refs: Fundyssey23, njbmxerdude, tinybikerider33, CRAZY MAAZY,lil_buddy010, Hunthubbs2

3/9/2011 4:45 PM

Street Rat 420 wrote:

If there is an allen wrench hole on the back of the pedal try that.

yeah there is but the problem is that wouldnt really solve much, itd keep the pedal still but not the insert, and thats the bit i want to fuckin stay where it is. or would that help?

i can make a video if thatd help

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 4:53 PM

Call a local Gun shop and see if they can stake the insert to the crank arm. They do it with AR15's so a BMX crank shouldn't be problem. Might be able to do it at a Machine shop as well. Primo should be doing that anyway since this is such a common problem
It shouldn't cost much more than $5. It's basically just a punch and hammer to do it
Or you could google AR15 staking gas key, or soemthing similar and find some how to's

|

3/9/2011 4:56 PM

genesis wrote:

Call a local Gun shop and see if they can stake the insert to the crank arm. They do it with AR15's so a BMX crank shouldn't be problem. Might be able to do it at a Machine shop as well. Primo should be doing that anyway since this is such a common problem
It shouldn't cost much more than $5. It's basically just a punch and hammer to do it
Or you could google AR15 staking gas key, or soemthing similar and find some how to's

dude, i live in scotland, we have no gun shops, and its highly illegal to buy any gun related shit. im not going to jail for 5 years tryna fix cranks

despite this, thanks for the time smile

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 5:03 PM

Doesn't need to be a gun shop. "Staking" is just how they keep the bolts from spinning on one part of it. That's just the first thing I thought of. It really has nothing to do with guns, but gunsmiths do it regularly to keep AR's running properly
Do any of your boys work in a machine shop?
Basically you take a flat edge, like a burly screwdriver. Line it up so it's perpendicular across the border between the insert and crank arm, and then hit it with a heavy hammer. If you do it properly, or use the proper tool, it will create a line that takes some of the material from the crank arm and slides it over to the insert. It will look like the end of a slotted screw.
I wouldn't recommend doing it if you can get it warrantied, but if you "need" to do it tonight, that's the only idea I have
Good luck

|

3/9/2011 5:14 PM

i think i get what u mean. so im effectively merging the material from the inside of the crank to the insert to try and seize it in place, thus allowing me to unscrew the pedal?

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 5:19 PM

Verde. wrote:

i think i get what u mean. so im effectively merging the material from the inside of the crank to the insert to try and seize it in place, thus allowing me to unscrew the pedal?

Exactly. i can't believe I actually explained that in a way someone could understand

|

3/9/2011 5:22 PM

Verde. wrote:

i think i get what u mean. so im effectively merging the material from the inside of the crank to the insert to try and seize it in place, thus allowing me to unscrew the pedal?

genesis wrote:

Exactly. i can't believe I actually explained that in a way someone could understand

haha i woulda got it first time, just we dont have gun shops over here n stuff so its kinda not an area im familiar with, well, il give it a go. i have nothing to lose. thanks man. im guna stick a video up in a bit too as a last ditch effort. after that il just give up and take it to my LBS....which is 40 miles away

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 5:23 PM

email primo about it im pretty sure they will warranty it

|

[b]( . Y . )` ~ ~ ` ~

3/9/2011 5:25 PM

swalowMY cockachino wrote:

email primo about it im pretty sure they will warranty it

i gave them an email. only problem is these are 4 years old and i bought em off my mate harley. worth a tyr i guess. sorry to keep cloggin the newsfeed but im really kinda angry at this.

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 5:26 PM

swalowMY cockachino wrote:

email primo about it im pretty sure they will warranty it

That's what I would do as well. They just send out replacement arms instead of repairing the old ones
They really should do something about the design that keeps failing

|

3/9/2011 5:27 PM

swalowMY cockachino wrote:

email primo about it im pretty sure they will warranty it

this seems like the best choice...won't probly fix the pedal problem.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

3/9/2011 5:28 PM

swalowMY cockachino wrote:

email primo about it im pretty sure they will warranty it

Verde. wrote:

i gave them an email. only problem is these are 4 years old and i bought em off my mate harley. worth a tyr i guess. sorry to keep cloggin the newsfeed but im really kinda angry at this.

dont matter, there lifetime

|

[b]( . Y . )` ~ ~ ` ~

3/9/2011 5:28 PM

swalowMY cockachino wrote:

email primo about it im pretty sure they will warranty it

genesis wrote:

That's what I would do as well. They just send out replacement arms instead of repairing the old ones
They really should do something about the design that keeps failing

i said that in my email i said this is blatantly a fuckin issue here, and noone seems to have a failsafe repair option. i love the cranks in every other aspect just not this. i just wanna put my new pedals on

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

3/9/2011 5:30 PM

Verde. wrote:

i said that in my email i said this is blatantly a fuckin issue here, and noone seems to have a failsafe repair option. i love the cranks in every other aspect just not this. i just wanna put my new pedals on

i heard there prettyy cool with there warrantys, my freind had pair and he snapped the arm and they sent him a whole new set

|

[b]( . Y . )` ~ ~ ` ~

3/9/2011 5:33 PM

swalowMY cockachino wrote:

i heard there prettyy cool with there warrantys, my freind had pair and he snapped the arm and they sent him a whole new set

holy fuck maybe il get a new set! thatd be awesome, pay 50 for second hand get brand new....sounds good, il put up with shit pedals for another week if thats the case

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder