pegs, guards, and sprockets, oh my!

Related:
Create New Tag

10/12/2020 7:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2020 10:53 AM

I want pegs. how do I pick pegs.

Edit: yes, for grinding, handrails, park rails, concrete, whatever I can get my grubby hands on. After reading the replies before this edit Im thinking of the kink 2xog pegs. They hav the adapters and are made of heat treated scm415 steel. and are about 7 ounces each. I reaaaaallllyy want to stay wih kink/mission/cinema. good choice?

What do you think of hub guards? Should I save myself the time and buy them now instead of later? one of my big fears is that I'm gonna be grinding and actually hit my hub, damaging the paint or actual hub, while doing some relatively tame shit.

Is a hub guard even neccesary right now? I sheared part of my sprocket off due to imporer installation, and it doesnt stay perfectly straight as a result. But guard sprockets are way a lot of money, my current one still works, and I don't want to look like a complete retard riding a bike that I can't even properly use. But the thing is once I start doing sprocket stalls and shit, I don't think it'll last long. So what's your opinion, buy it now or buy it when it breaks? Also I have a 410 chain so hopefully that doesn't go first/

Should I jump head first into 4 pegs, or try 2 first and get more later if I feel like it? I really want to save myself the time here, and anything I can get as a gift as opposed to spending money is nice if I'm not overdoing it.

Thanks.

|

Speed, I am speed... -Lightning McQueen
Fuck money get bitches... I think?

10/12/2020 7:19 PM

What kind of riding do you like to do? Mostly street, park, flatland? I would buy based on what you intend to use them for with my selection based upon the criteria of:

1) Material- Do you ride someplace that won’t allow metal pegs? That might be a consideration.

2) Size- You’re gonna want something that will fit your feet, but not so big as to get in the way of the types of tricks/terrain you ride

3) Looks- It may sound stupid, but I am always mindful of the aesthetic aspect of things. Whether it be my bike, my car, my lawn, my clothing, or whatever. If it doesn’t look good TO ME, I won’t rock it

4) Cost- Least important factor to me (within reason). If two otherwise identical options are priced differently, I wouldn’t spend more than I had to unless of course one is a well respected brand, and the alternative is a no-name knockoff from eBay/wish/etc

I am sure some much younger, more knowledgeable guys will be along shortly to offer some advice relevant to this century, but this is my elderly opinion.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/12/2020 7:20 PM

|

It’s all bmx

10/12/2020 7:43 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

What kind of riding do you like to do? Mostly street, park, flatland? I would buy based on what you intend to use them for ...more

I ride in Vegas, mostly street, and it's kinda on and off between concrete and metal. I want plastic pegs cause i know they'll slide better but I also want someting really strong. As you can probably already tell, I'm new to all this. I'll likely be abusing my pegs trying to figure out all the shit I can do with them. My bike is also really dark so I'll probably stick to black pegs as well. Cost shouldn't be an issue either, within reason. Any suggestions?

|

10/12/2020 7:51 PM

I too am new (well, newly back after 25 years), and I am not back to doing stunts at this point. As such, I’m not currently running any pegs myself. If, I decide to get any in the future, I might run something like these... https://www.danscomp.com/haro-bikes-78-plastic-peg-black-1-4.33-universal-94306/p1208575?v=1142459&gclid=CjwKCAjw_Y_8BRBiEiwA5MCBJr5faexiHjpoUSrDwizsVri9hYhCiLC4x_Ct2qLj6sNqfmWXndS56RoChlAQAvD_BwE

They are kinda pricey at $20.00 per peg, but they do each come with a spare sleeve. They’re plastic, they’re black. Should work well for general purpose thrashing around. Plus... I’m a Haro guy from waaay back. I’m sure there are comparable options from other brands if Haro isn’t your thing.

|

10/12/2020 7:58 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

I too am new (well, newly back after 25 years), and I am not back to doing stunts at this point. As such, I’m not currently ...more

My first bmx was a haro so they're definetly up there for me, but I'm riding a kink right now. I'll make sure to look for something of that quality, thanks. Do you have any idea how long they might last me, I'll likely e using them daily or at least frequently.

|

10/12/2020 8:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2020 8:01 PM

plastic pegs with crmo cores are what you're looking for. Most are pretty similar in construction and price $15-$25. Also you will get kicked out of less spots since they're quieter.

|

bikes

10/12/2020 8:02 PM

I’m not sure how long the plastic pegs will last, but it would definitely depend upon the amount of abuse they see. I would assume however, that there is certainly a reason why they sell replacement sleeves for them, and I would expect to go through them fairly regularly if you ride hard with a lot of grinding and such.

|

10/12/2020 8:11 PM

bmxmanboy wrote:

plastic pegs with crmo cores are what you're looking for. Most are pretty similar in construction and price $15-$25. Also you ...more

Cool, thanks.

|

10/12/2020 9:11 PM

You go to odyssey’s website, look up graduate peg, and pick a size

|

smile

10/13/2020 12:34 AM

Look at peg.

Pick peg.

You have peg.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/13/2020 6:33 AM

Get metals and pedal fast

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

10/13/2020 6:46 AM

just got the eclat venom pegs in 4.8 length and they've been great so far.....i don't think they slide as good as other plastics i've used but still slide way better than metal

but what i like about them is the plastic seems to grind rather than rip apart like other plastics i've had...but the length has been awesome, going from a 4.33 to a 4.8 has been much different, especially for oppo grinds

|

10/15/2020 4:42 PM

BSD Unit cro-mo pegs. I love them. They are inexpensive, moderately-sized (4.4)”, and I also like how they look kind of skinny/low profile at 32mm diameter. The laser-etched BSD acid face looks tight and if you are weight conscious they are pretty damn light too ~5.5 oz each

|

10/15/2020 4:47 PM

Usually it starts with the eyes.

|

10/15/2020 6:46 PM

make sure to get skate wax too! really... in my experience... if you have that, any pegs works.

|

10/16/2020 9:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2020 9:29 AM

Fried_Eggs wrote:

I want pegs. how do I pick pegs.

Edit: yes, for grinding, handrails, park rails, concrete, whatever I can get my grubby ...more

[url=https://www.albes.com/products/mission-targa-peg?gclid=CjwKCAjwiaX8BRBZEiwAQQxGx_D-T_FDLsYU8PA66CKlDXFz95RZvmbF8MDiFOfKbrbEsVNwX4_WfRoCEb0QAvD_BwE]

I have these and they work great with my kink. 4.5 is a perfect size too
they're also a pretty good price

|

10/16/2020 10:27 AM

yes, for grinding, Iafter reading this Im thinking of the kink 2xog pegs. They hav the adapters and are made of heat treated scm415 steel. and are about 7 ounces each. I reaaaaallllyy want to stay wih kink/mission/cinema. I had some other questions I was gonna rename the thread for, so I'll ask here as well since you seem to know a lot.

What do you think of hub guards? Should I save myself the time and buy them now instead of later? one of my big fears is that I'm gonna be grinding and actually hit my hub, damaging the paint or actual hub, while doing some relatively tame shit.

Is a hub guard even neccesary right now? (im a noob if you still couldn't tell). I sheared part of my sprocket off sue to imporer installation, and it doesnt stay perfectly straight as a result. But guard sprockets are way a lot of money, my current one still works, and I don't want to look like a complete retard riding a bike that I can't even properly use. But the thing is once I start doing sprocket stalls and shit, I don't think it'll last long. So what's your opinion, buy it now or buy it when it breaks?

Should I jump head first into 4 pegs, or try 2 first and get more later if I feel like it? I really want to save myself the time here, and anything I can get as a gift as opposed to spending money is nice if I'm not overdoing it.

|

10/16/2020 1:33 PM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

I’m not sure how long the plastic pegs will last, but it would definitely depend upon the amount of abuse they see. I would ...more

Plastic sleeves last a good while as lomg as you rotate the sleeve before you start getting to the metal. Just keep an eye on it and check more frequently when you are grinding concrete and unwaxed stuff.

|

10/16/2020 1:38 PM

A 410 chain wont last if you plan on doing sprocket stalls unguarded, even with a guard, you will be snapping your chain.

If you run 4 pegs and plan to use all of them, keep your drive side on your more comfortable dominant side you will be less likely to smack it on the side you have more control. If you plan on only grinding one side, definitely rhrow it on the opposite side.

I started off grinding only on my right and invested in lhd stuff, I ended up moving on to both sides and wish I had kept my drive side on my right. Ultimately, it doesn't make a ton of difference.

Definitely pick up hub guards and extra spokes if you plan on grinding. And some decent tires that handle the extra sidewall abuse.

|

10/16/2020 7:38 PM

Hell yeah, best response ever. I'm gonna start off by saying that I've already begun to see the issues all the time, but to be honest, it's really fun to take shit apart and figure out how to put it back together. I spent the whole day likes 2 days ago taking apart everything and putting it back the right way, and all the crank shit.

To be honest I don't think I'll be getting those guards lol, lil expensive for me, so I'll stick with the kink and mission stuff since its an alright price. definetly good to know not to get plastic ones, I was skeptical from the start but it's good to see someone with more experience say it. As for the drive side, im stuck with right hand drive, and @bulletpup says that even with a guard sprocket, a 410 chain still won't hold up very well. So I might just get the supreme chain.

Unfortunately, the closest bmx shop is on the west side of the city, and I'm on the east, so it would be pretty hard to convince my mom to drive me (I got a baby sister) but I could try. Luckily, I rode someones bike at the pump track today and his 7 ounce pegs didn't feel too bad, but I'll try to feel some other ones out. Thanks for all the excellent advice, for me this is kinda the first huge milestone, and I'm so eager I swear I can feel the the tricks lmfao. once I get my phone I'm gonna post some vids and a bike check here lmao.

|

10/16/2020 7:41 PM

Thanks for the advice, I run a stock 410 chain so I think I'll just get the supreme chain instead of a guard. since you both said I am actually gonna run all 4, I don't think I'll switch drive sides. How neccesary do you think extar spokes will be if I have my guards? I'm gonna have to get some more money after all this shit, so if I can save somewhere I'd like to. About the tires, I'll probably have to replace them due to tread by the time they'll be falling apart from grinds, so that works out well for me.

|

10/16/2020 8:52 PM

Its good to have extra spokes around even if you dont break them often. Its unsettling to ride with missing spokes, ive done it but I never feel like I can ride as hard and its annouing to have to drive far to pick some up or wait for them to ship.

Spokes are typically super cheap and easy to replace when they go. smile

|

10/16/2020 9:01 PM

fs I'll pick some up with the other shit then

|

10/17/2020 9:12 AM

Primo binary v2. Extra sleeve included. Been working well on everything.

|