how high of a stand over do you like and why?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/2/2013 12:42 AM

I was just wondering and I know that shorter stand overs make it easier to whip but what are some other up and downsides of having short or tall stand overs?

|

7/2/2013 3:03 AM

I've got an 8 an 8.25 & an 8.5

My fav s.o is 8.25, just preference really but I do feel like you feel more connected to the bike with a higher stand over, however I can get out of a lot more stuff when shit goes bad with a lower standover.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

7/2/2013 5:55 AM

In my 13 years of riding i have only ever had ONE frame with a Stand Over over 8.5" It felt weird to me, I don't like having my seat slammed but with the higher Stand Over i didn't have a lot of choice, had to mess around with where i wanted to the seat to feel comfortable but i know with an 8.25" I want 4 fingers/Fist & an 8.5" i want 2/3 fingers. Flatland wise i honestly don't think i would want a Stand Over higher than 7" just for Whiplash/step over tricks. Like the S&M Intrikat Frame is 7.75" (And it has been lowered to that recently too!) I have had STREET frames with Stand Over's that high. I had a go on one & i like the rest of the geometry but the top tube was WAY to high & the only way to change that is to pay $650 for a custom to get it lowered then depending on what colour you get its another $75 & then shipping is like $150 too, That's $875 for a FRAME! FUCK THAT!

|

7/2/2013 6:01 AM

I don't really care, I like a more stable bike but if it has a lower standover I just raise my seat a bit.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

7/2/2013 6:58 AM

8.25 or bigger. Lower stand over frames aren't as stiff and tend to crack more often. I like sturdy bikes. Like my Eddie v3 with 8.375, my ATF and wifi had 8.5 and thy felt great, the Tierra felt terrible with 7.75. The chocolate was iffy at 8.

And I don't understand a lower stand over on street. Kevin porter and the Tierra for example. He has a super low so at 7.75. Which supposedly helps the seat be out of the way on whips. Yet he has like a fist and a half of post showing in the last edit I saw from him. Now the seat is back in the way again. Completely defeats the purpose

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/2/2013 7:19 AM

I can get use to any frame, I usually slam my seat no matter what ride for awhile and it feels fine, yesterday I put my old OG macniel seat post on ti dial in the color scheme, left it kinda high because I want to see if it helps with bar spins

I always ride a slammed seat other wise regardless of the frames stand over for maximum hop clearance

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

7/2/2013 10:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2013 10:00 AM

I like a 9" standover, with about 5" of post. I like a high standover because it feels more like your like 'in the bike' where as a low standover feels more like your 'on top of the bike'.

|

7/2/2013 10:26 AM

8.25-9". I've had stuff in that range and liked them all for different reasons.

|

7/2/2013 11:26 AM

I like my stand over to be tall. I run the Stranger Dream Machine which is a 9" stand over. The bike just looks awesome, it gives you more stability, and you don't have to run your seat super high for it to be there when you throw the bars. I can't think of a single reason why I would ever want a lower stand over height.

|

7/2/2013 2:19 PM

Well the I was ganna get the wtp scorpio but I guess ill be getting the patron or warrior

|

7/2/2013 4:45 PM

medium or a little lower.......im only 5 10........but im sure I could adjust to a taller standover pretty easily..........I just wouldn't want to ride something stupid like a killorado or something

|