how tight should my chain be?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/26/2013 3:16 PM

i just got done installing a bunch of new parts on my bike. I put the chain on and tightened it, i took the bike for a test ride and it felt like there was to much tension. My brother said its not suppose to be that tight but every video i watch has it just like that

|

Dream - Trans red BTM 8============================================>

7/26/2013 3:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2013 3:48 PM

depends most people have their chain tight as fuck but I think that wears out the driver a lot faster so I usually set my chain to where you can still wobble it a little o me it feels better like that.

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

7/26/2013 3:46 PM

I hate running a super tight chain, everything feels smoother to me when it has a little bit of slack. I have it just tight enough to not slap my chain stay.

|

7/26/2013 4:14 PM

i like just a little under tight as fuck , if it has really strong tension grease the chain

|

7/26/2013 4:14 PM

Ya im gonna losen it when i get home

|

Dream - Trans red BTM 8============================================>

7/26/2013 10:31 PM

it should have like around a quarter inch of free movement up and down.. helps to keep it from crushing the hub and minimizes chain stretching.

|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand

7/26/2013 10:43 PM

Jèff_Béckförd wrote:

it should have like around a quarter inch of free movement up and down.. helps to keep it from crushing the hub and minimizes chain stretching.

This is the exact thing i was gonna say haha. Just right. Im a pro at tightening chains at this point. haha I ran a 510HX as tight as i could once and it was okay. I dont like it to be like that. I am VERY anal about my ride haha. I have to have it just right all the time. And it really is getting there. and once i get my rear wheel all built up, i will have it perfect. Except for the front wheel, i will get a new one to match that too. haha I literally have a perfectly dialed ride because i always keep everything the proper tension and just fix it if any noises i dont like are happening haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/26/2013 10:55 PM

I love running a tightass chain as long as I don't feel like it's putting too much stress on the bearings, even though it is still tight as hell. Sometimes, I won't tighten my chain for as long as half a year at max and my wheel will have moved the slightest bit from riding obviously and loosen the chain just a bit. Or it stretched. Now I'm mad. .___.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

7/26/2013 10:59 PM

loose but not enough to hit the cs.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

7/26/2013 11:01 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I love running a tightass chain as long as I don't feel like it's putting too much stress on the bearings, even though it is still tight as hell. Sometimes, I won't tighten my chain for as long as half a year at max and my wheel will have moved the slightest bit from riding obviously and loosen the chain just a bit. Or it stretched. Now I'm mad. .___.

Same. It should be tighter than a butthole

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

7/26/2013 11:02 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

loose but not enough to hit the cs.

This, but sometimes, it will still hit somehow so that's why I just run mine super tight as long as it doesn't have this crushed bearing feel sometimes.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

7/27/2013 1:55 PM

Jèff_Béckförd wrote:

This

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

7/27/2013 8:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2013 8:47 PM

You're gonna crush your driver bearings by running it that tight. Trust me. Lol. Not to mention causing premature chain stretching or possibly break links.

|

7/27/2013 10:42 PM

mine works out perfect to where no matter how much i try to tighten it unless i put something in the tire to hold the wheel back it will tighten to just a tiny bit under all the way tightened.. just before it smacks the cs...

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

7/27/2013 11:51 PM

Something is warped so I can't tighten my chain anymore without it putting too much stress on the chain and hub sad

|

I dont say stupid things, just no one knows what im talking about.

7/28/2013 5:07 AM

I run my rear wheel slammed and chain super tight.. Hasn't stretched in the 6/7 months I've been riding but I do see some wear on my sprocketsad

|

9/10/2018 6:31 PM

i have a cassate and my chain is a little loose i think its better than way but it has a little bit of a free movement on the pedals before it starts pushing, so i dont know what actually better

|

9/10/2018 6:36 PM

Filip_Korkuc wrote:

i have a cassate and my chain is a little loose i think its better than way but it has a little bit of a free movement on the pedals before it starts pushing, so i dont know what actually better

Cool story bro , now order a loose chain gang t shirt and get Chad Krutza some money

|

9/10/2018 6:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2018 6:37 PM

Filip_Korkuc wrote:

A bit late to the part there mate

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...