how to convert 2 and a half piece cranks to 3 piece cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

11/21/2018 12:22 PM

So I have the éclat spire cranks and since there two and a half piece cranks, I was just wondering if you guys think it would be possible to turn them into 3 piece cranks.
Yes I know what you guys are gonna say and I mean by like getting a drill or something and drilling into the cranks to make the 2nd piece that isn't already ready to be used as 3 piece cranks, and that'll make it adaptable to be put on a 3 piece spindle but the problem of course is how am I going to it flat all the way round so a flat bolt like the other one can go in. Also, I would have to cut a little bit off the 2 piece spindle so it would be a 3 piece spindle

|

11/21/2018 12:26 PM

The real question is.. why ?

|

11/21/2018 12:34 PM

so if I want to change anything around, I can cause there are very few that the spire cranks will go with and I was thinking of putting a titanium axle

|

11/21/2018 12:37 PM

sorry I mean spindle

|

11/21/2018 12:53 PM

Buy 3 piece cranks this is stupid.

|

11/21/2018 1:06 PM

Is English your native language?

|

11/21/2018 1:07 PM

Are you 12?

|

11/21/2018 1:15 PM

Photo
The splines are different on the non bolt arm, so unless they specifically make a ti axle (same thing) for the arms, you won't be able to get one for it anyway. They're drive side specific, so you're stuck with them no matter what you (unless you get stuff custom made for them. Which will cost a lot more than new cranks anyway). Cutting the end off, and tapping the hole, and finding a decent bolt to use won't change the orientation of anything. You'll literally just be replacing the lip that holds the arm on with a bolt.
|

11/21/2018 3:22 PM

grumpySteve wrote: Photo
The splines are different on the non bolt arm, so unless they specifically make a ti axle (same thing) for the arms, you won't be able to get one for it anyway. They're drive side specific, so you're stuck with them no matter what you (unless you get stuff custom made for them. Which will cost a lot more than new cranks anyway). Cutting the end off, and tapping the hole, and finding a decent bolt to use won't change the orientation of anything. You'll literally just be replacing the lip that holds the arm on with a bolt.

I know they are different but I'm going to do exactly what u said which is replace the lip that holds the arm with a bolt so it'll then be a three piece crank and maybe be able to put the cranks on a ti spindle, so like I can do it at home with the many tools I have. I just wanted to know if it was physically possible to change the crank arms and spindle (mainly the crank arms) to 3 piece cranks

|

11/21/2018 3:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/21/2018 3:31 PM

Scullboy7 wrote:

I know they are different but I'm going to do exactly what u said which is replace the lip that holds the arm with a bolt so it'll then be a three piece crank and maybe be able to put the cranks on a ti spindle, so like I can do it at home with the many tools I have. I just wanted to know if it was physically possible to change the crank arms and spindle (mainly the crank arms) to 3 piece cranks

Don't be an eejit.

If you want to bin your cranks, just give them to me instead.

|

11/21/2018 3:32 PM

Scullboy7 wrote:

It's possible but you'll notice that the "fixed" crank has a larger spline. You'd need a custom made spindle in order to make it work. A regular 48 spline spindle simply won't work.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/21/2018 3:32 PM

so that doesn't answer my question, do u think its possible to do it and make it functional

|

11/21/2018 3:35 PM

Scullboy7 wrote:

so that doesn't answer my question, do u think its possible to do it and make it functional

It's possible but you'd need a machine shop with the right tooling to do it. When all is said and done, the spindle alone may cost you the same as a new frame.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/21/2018 3:51 PM

Scullboy7 wrote:

Possible? Yes. Possible for you? Probably not.

|

11/21/2018 4:54 PM

Scullboy7 wrote:

JPC wrote:

It is, I just don't have any idea how to convert it, like I need to pull apart my cranks and have a good look at what I need to do, I'm a good problem solver and can fix quite a lot of things and make things too. but my question is what tool I should use to make the slot for the bolt on the non-bolt arm because I know I need to drill into it but I don't know how I'm going to get it flat so I can put a bolt, like the bolt on the other side, on the non-bolt arm so it work as 3 piece cranks

|

11/21/2018 4:54 PM

|

11/21/2018 4:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/21/2018 4:56 PM

Francky wrote:

The real question is.. why ?

Good question wish I could thumbs up again on your answer

If you do it you are going to mess up the cranks simple as that. If you take the part off holding your arm...it’s going to get hot. They are heat treated so you have a risk of weakening them. Then will they even stay right again?

Be smart and safe sell them and get legit 3pc

HELL I kinda like them what length? I have some brand new 3pc 170mm in black

|

11/21/2018 6:21 PM

No yeah, go for it. try it and see how well it works out for you so we can all have a good laugh

|

11/21/2018 7:35 PM

How many people need to tell you this is stupid and would be really expensive to do properly before it sinks in?

|

11/21/2018 7:55 PM

grumpySteve wrote: Photo

Scullboy7 wrote:

As I said, the axle size is different for the non bolt side. So you'd have to get a custom axle made. Which will cost silly money. But still won't make any difference to how you can use the cranks. You won't gain anything from cutting the lip off. Nothing at all. In fact, you'll add weight by replacing the lip with a bolt.
It is possible, but completely pointless. And expensive.

|

11/21/2018 8:42 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

How many people need to tell you this is stupid and would be really expensive to do properly before it sinks in?

Apparently the whole forum

|

11/21/2018 10:08 PM

Sell the shit & get a 3-piece set. Otherwise this shit is non-sense

|

11/21/2018 10:17 PM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

Sell the shit & get a 3-piece set. Otherwise this shit is non-sense

I already offered him a set of 3pc for them IF they are 170

|

11/22/2018 12:59 AM

Cut off the arm and weld it back on.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

|

11/22/2018 5:33 AM

No no no, don't do it. Those are fine pitch splines of a certain shape. It's quite hard metal and you would need exceptional precision.

|

11/22/2018 6:27 AM

If you need to ask something like this on a forum, you are lightyears away from actually doing it yourself. But I'll make it simple.
>Are you a professional machinist?
>Do you have access to advanced machinery?
>Does the advanced machinery have the correct tools to make something as specific as that?
If you answered "No" to one or more of the questions, don't do it. If you answered "Yes" to all of them, you're lying because at that point you'd be able to do it without asking for guidance.

|

11/22/2018 8:28 AM

Scullboy7 wrote:

JPC wrote:

Scullboy7 wrote:

It is, I just don't have any idea how to convert it, like I need to pull apart my cranks and have a good look at what I need to do, I'm a good problem solver and can fix quite a lot of things and make things too. but my question is what tool I should use to make the slot for the bolt on the non-bolt arm because I know I need to drill into it but I don't know how I'm going to get it flat so I can put a bolt, like the bolt on the other side, on the non-bolt arm so it work as 3 piece cranks

It isn’t possible for you if you have to come to a forum and ask how to do it. This isn’t just something you can “make” in your garage. You need an extensive machine shop and in the end, just like everyone else has been saying, fuckin why?? I’m a certified welder that makes custom motorcycle handlebars and even I can’t figure out a reason to do this...

|

11/22/2018 8:33 AM

It would be a million times easier to buy a second arm and then make a custom spindle for the two loose arms.

It would be a trillion times easier to just buy a set of profiles.

|

11/22/2018 8:40 AM

If you attempt this, please post a pic of your fucked up spindle, after. I enjoy a good laugh.

|

11/22/2018 11:07 AM

Trying to alter cranks is a retarded idea , your going to break your ankles when they snap because you fucked with them

|