how to get over the fear of quarter pipes :(

Related:
Create New Tag

1/2/2014 9:57 AM

Hey guys today i just found an awesome small quarter near my house. I have never rode s quarter before. It is the same size as the Adam LZ quarter he rides in many of his videos but it is metal. I have watched his tutorial on how to air a quarter and i cant really ride it and get to the top although i can 180 however i tried Adam LZ's method for beginners - to do a double peg stall on the top of the quarter and just drop in. I did the stall and i got fuckin scared to do any movement. I just thought i would fall and got fuckin scared. The quarter is steep and is has 90 degree angle I dont have a less steep one in my town. Can you help me or tell me some other methods/ techniques? Or how to get to the top to actually air it?and how did you learn/ start? thanks

|

YO

1/2/2014 9:59 AM

put on some pads. and keep trying. that is the best tip for quarters

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

1/2/2014 10:03 AM

just like start at the bottom and work your way up. Kinda go at a angle and just hop and turn then keep on going up and up.. It's kinda hard to explain. To air just start pumping around or just roll in kinda fast.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

1/2/2014 10:57 AM

first thing you need to do is stop listening to goddamn Adam Fucktard LZ.
He's a prick, and honestly I've never seen any of his weird techniques work. You're better off watching other random tutorials or just figuring things out for yourself.

Also, i learned quarters by doing disasters (as long as it isnt a vert quarter. if it is, if it is, just do 180s on them, and swing your outer shoulder higher and dip your inner shoulder down as you do it. dont worry about airing over the coping if you're doing this, just carve in the bank of it, eventually youll start going higher and higher and carving later.)

not sure if any of that made sense tho lol.

also, for dropping in, just roll in at an angle. i still have peg stalls to this day, theyre slippery lol.

|

Insta: @devicacy

1/2/2014 11:17 AM

The faster you go at it the higher you go..... Go straight up the transition the more you carve the more amplitude you lose

|

1/2/2014 11:42 AM

eskimojay wrote:

The faster you go at it the higher you go..... Go straight up the transition the more you carve the more amplitude you lose

This, I found my problem was going slow and hopping. Going faster and straighter and letting the quarter do all the work is what worked for me.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

1/2/2014 11:56 AM

Just work your way up! I too have very little quarter pipe skill, I remember being just as afraid to drop in for my first time. Believe it or not, what worked for me was just chillin' on the deck of the quarter for an extended period of time. Eventually it didn't feel so big/high up/dangerous, and with a little rallying from my friends I got pumped up enough to drop in. A great feeling to say the least.

Riding with friends always gets be stoked to push myself and do things that scare me/that I might not do if I were alone. As a general rule of thumb, it''s probably not a good idea to doing something scary with the potential for injury if there's no one else around.

|

1/2/2014 12:00 PM

Watch tom dugans how to

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

1/2/2014 12:11 PM

realityisajoke wrote:

He's a prick, and honestly I've never seen any of his weird techniques work. You're better off watching other random tutorials or just figuring things out for yourself.

Also, i learned quarters by doing disasters (as long as it isnt a vert quarter. if it is, if it is, just do 180s on them, and swing your outer shoulder higher and dip your inner shoulder down as you do it. dont worry about airing over the coping if you're doing this, just carve in the bank of it, eventually youll start going higher and higher and carving later.)

also, for dropping in, just roll in at an angle. i still have peg stalls to this day, theyre slippery lol.

For the record, Adam is not a prick or fucktard. He was in my town this week & I rode with him a few days and he was super chill, stoked on everyone's riding, and was just a chill dude. Don't knock him before you know him. I'm not one of those kids on his dick, before this week I had no view on him besides that he rides.

As for the quarter, just flow up it like everyone else said. Start small & work your way up. DON'T 180, just let the air take you

|

1/2/2014 12:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2014 12:30 PM

realityisajoke wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

For the record, Adam is not a prick or fucktard. He was in my town this week & I rode with him a few days and he was super chill, stoked on everyone's riding, and was just a chill dude. Don't knock him before you know him. I'm not one of those kids on his dick, before this week I had no view on him besides that he rides.

As for the quarter, just flow up it like everyone else said. Start small & work your way up. DON'T 180, just let the air take you

IF I DONT 180 what should i do then
if i dont i slip and fall and slide down because the quarter is metal and it is really easy to slip on it :/

|

YO

1/2/2014 12:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2014 12:59 PM

Photo

hahaha.. good job guys..
|

1/2/2014 1:19 PM

Cmxx wrote: Photo

hahaha.. good job guys..

LOL.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/2/2014 1:22 PM

Haha ^^^

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

1/2/2014 1:26 PM

hahahaha

|

Insta: @devicacy

1/2/2014 1:27 PM

I just saw that and i was going to post it lol.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/2/2014 1:48 PM

Grow a pair of balls , huck shit at it , and just see what happens. Naturally your body will carve back into the quarter so just see what happens ! I've yet to do this :/

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/2/2014 1:57 PM

Adam LZ is a retard. Have you ever seen his videos when he breaks stuff. He whines like a baby.

|

1/2/2014 3:32 PM

Best tip I ever got was that you have to accept that you need to land at the same angle as you take off. Don't think of it the same as a 180 on flat, you need to pivot over your shoulder and land front tire first.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

1/2/2014 4:35 PM

Garnished wrote:

Adam LZ is a retard. Have you ever seen his videos when he breaks stuff. He whines like a baby.

My spacceebarrrsss snaappeeddd ! I want a personal apology from Aaron Rooossss ! shocked

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/2/2014 5:34 PM

Garnished wrote:

He does it on purpose.. To be funny.

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/2/2014 6:26 PM

I like Adam LZ. Personally the how to air he put up didnt have a big affect on me. I actually recently learned airs. They really arent good and im still a little scared on narrow quarters, but i am definitely working my way up! haha I posted not too long ago on here about not being able to air, now i got them. I get like 1 foot on average. I know i can do better, jut not at the tiny little quarter i learnt them on. haha My friend just helped me mainly.

Adam LZ's tutorials are not bad. He did teach me barspins, he helped me get my threes looking sexy and maybe even get the basics to a whip down. Some of his tutorials are really good for IMPROVING the trick you already have. Once you get a trick he kinda makes a lot more sense because you know what he is talking about.

The way I air is just go at the quarter at a slight angle with as much speed as you would to get onto the deck of the quarter. I just learned them so my method may not be the best. I wait until my front tire bonks off the coping and pull the front tire almost like a bunny hop and then (if it is a mellow quarter) i just kinda pull the backend up with my legs almost like a hop and turn my bars in the air when you are falling in the air back into the quarter.

This method works great for me learning them because it is less hazardous. haha The best thing to do is just spend as much time as possible riding them, youll get it. I learned all kinds of tricks on quarters i didnt think i could ever do. Like threes to fakies and 540s. 540s are really scary on a coaster for me though, as i just made the transition over to the coaster from cassette. Stocksy and Lj wanted me to 540 on the tiny quarter and i wouldnt bc everytime i 540 i land a little rear heavy and without pedal pressure on a coaster it scares me. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/2/2014 6:28 PM

Start off by rolling down the quarter pipe and going up it. If you can't do those yet you're not ready to go up and down (airing).

|

1/2/2014 8:44 PM

haul ass and huck dat shit. just pump the tranny and hop, work your way up the quarter until you get to the top then you can just start going faster and higher

|

Bike Check [url=http://www.vitalbmx.com/community/cole-rides,108028/setup,86510]

Insta --------------- cole_rides

1/2/2014 11:46 PM

Hey Adam can you give me a free beanie i'm cold.

|

bicycle more like bikecycle

11/2/2016 4:42 AM

brianoob wrote:

Start off by rolling down the quarter pipe and going up it. If you can't do those yet you're not ready to go up and down (airing).

This made sense to me. I can roll down and brap straight up quarters but am not airing them yet. I am working on getting up and out onto the deck with a 90 degree turn so I can then drop straight in again. Once that is smoother I guess it's just a case of staying weight back on the bike at the top, rather than weight forward.

|