how to remove a stripped bolt?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/7/2016 5:46 PM

I was removing the brake on my bike, and was wondering what to do since I stripped to bolt? I am not any kind of handyman and wouldn't want me to be using a saw... Any suggestions?

|

1/7/2016 6:41 PM

What part is stripped? The spot the allen wrench goes into? Or the bolt itself? Or the mount is stuck?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/7/2016 6:53 PM

the part where the allen wrench is supposed to go in.

|

1/7/2016 6:59 PM

Get an allen that is 1mm bigger and CAREFULLY pound it in.

Use a smaller allen and a flathead screwdriver to get into the bolt head.

Vise Grips if you can grab the bolt head.

Get a new bolt and the correct sized allen for the future.

Also I suggest running brakes because they are fun, safe, AND you can do some awesome stuff with them.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/7/2016 10:50 PM

^ you can also use a torx socket bit, they fit in easier than a bigger Allen key.
If it's really stiff, buy an easy out (it's like a wide screw, with an opposite thread. You drill a hole into the bolt, thread the easy out in, as it tightens it grips inside the bolt and starts to undo it)

|

1/8/2016 4:01 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

^ you can also use a torx socket bit, they fit in easier than a bigger Allen key.
If it's really stiff, buy an easy out (it's like a wide screw, with an opposite thread. You drill a hole into the bolt, thread the easy out in, as it tightens it grips inside the bolt and starts to undo it)

This, that's another great option to use. Easy Outs are pretty awesome.

You could also CAREFULLY weld a nut/bolt to it and use a wrench.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/9/2016 12:58 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

^ you can also use a torx socket bit, they fit in easier than a bigger Allen key.
If it's really stiff, buy an easy out (it's like a wide screw, with an opposite thread. You drill a hole into the bolt, thread the easy out in, as it tightens it grips inside the bolt and starts to undo it)

dave lawrence wrote:

This, that's another great option to use. Easy Outs are pretty awesome.

You could also CAREFULLY weld a nut/bolt to it and use a wrench.

Weld a part onto another part ... don't know if that's stupid or ingenious lmao

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/9/2016 1:03 PM

Has anyone tried a gator grip before? Just wondering... Not sure if it's very effective.

|

1/9/2016 1:31 PM

Try some dynamite or fireworks , a good explosion might do the trick

|

1/9/2016 11:10 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Weld a part onto another part ... don't know if that's stupid or ingenious lmao

I've seen it done plenty of times. Not much on bikes, but loads on cars. The weld should be plenty strong enough to be able to use the welded on nut to undo the rounded bolt

|