hub guard questions

Related:
Create New Tag

8/17/2013 11:33 AM

So when I used to ride a long time ago we didn't have hub guards. So I don't know much about them. I did a search and most of the threads are a few years old and didn't really answer my questions.

1) I just need hub guards on the side i'm grinding on right?

2) Plastic or metal and why?

3) How long do hub guards last and what's the best brand?

As always thanks for your input.

|

8/17/2013 12:32 PM

1. yes
2.plastic if it's a gsport gland. any other get metal
3.they last years. best guard ever is the gsport gland. people complain it's ugly but it is by far the best hubguard ever

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/17/2013 1:39 PM

tomdon wrote:

1. yes
3.they last years. best guard ever is the gsport gland. people complain it's ugly but it is by far the best hubguard ever

The gsport gland does seem to be the most popular on here. It looks like a simple design. I assume it's easy to install?

|

8/17/2013 3:53 PM

tomdon wrote:

1. yes

Futon wrote:

The gsport gland does seem to be the most popular on here. It looks like a simple design. I assume it's easy to install?

Yep just need some shoe laces or zip ties.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

8/17/2013 4:04 PM

Hub guards last for ever. Get them for everywhere you have a peg. Metal is the way to go if its a hub specific guard. If you get a universal front guard, get the gland.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

8/17/2013 7:42 PM

i agree with the gland, for rear, get a s&m cymbal or daily grind as they are chromo
they last really long, like years
yea, on the side you grind on, unless you are experienced and super smooth, and can afford new hubs all the time

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/18/2013 5:12 AM

1 Yes
2 i would say metal because its usually stronger unless we are talking about a gland or drive side Primo i use plastic because its usually thicker, slides nicer and if something chips outwards but doesn't snap or break you can always sand it back easily. and for what brand get a g sport or primo if you need a dsg, but remember to get the plastic primo

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

8/18/2013 8:37 AM

So can I just get 2 glands and call it a day or do I need a specific one for the back hub?

|

8/18/2013 8:57 AM

Futon wrote:

So can I just get 2 glands and call it a day or do I need a specific one for the back hub?

It really depends on what back hub you have, what hub do you run?

|

A bike is not a bike if it doesn't have air in the tires.
Bike Check
BSD Front Street Hub Review
Primo Mix Review
Why You WEAR a mouthguard!
Refs.
\BMX-1995/

8/18/2013 8:59 AM

what hubs do you have?

and i feel like im a mix of most people here. ive got BSD jersey barriers front and rear. which are a metal core and a plastic shell. i love it

|

"Forget 'today', 'today' is just tomorrow, disguised as yesterday"
TRANSPORTATION CHECK
Refs: ThrowAfit, 2funny4u, ridebmx456, spikez5, irideafly and a bunch of others, I'M LEGIT.
email= element4all@yahoo.com
facebook.
Instagram

8/18/2013 9:10 AM

14mm Mission React sealed cassette hub with 9T driver, 3/8" Mission Echo sealed front hub

|

8/18/2013 9:54 AM

yeah generic hub guards will do ya.

go for the cymbal rear and a gland up front.

|

"Forget 'today', 'today' is just tomorrow, disguised as yesterday"
TRANSPORTATION CHECK
Refs: ThrowAfit, 2funny4u, ridebmx456, spikez5, irideafly and a bunch of others, I'M LEGIT.
email= element4all@yahoo.com
facebook.
Instagram

8/18/2013 10:56 AM

Futon wrote:

14mm Mission React sealed cassette hub with 9T driver, 3/8" Mission Echo sealed front hub

Any rear hubguard that is universal should work honestly. They slide over all the existing hardware and you don't have to worry about taking off cone nuts and all that. And as for the front, Gsport Glands are good but it's kinda like gambling. Your fork legs may be too close or your hub flange may be too wide and stuff and the guard will rub on the fork legs.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/21/2013 6:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2013 7:02 AM

nvm

|