kink liberty for a rider getting back into bmx

Related:
Create New Tag

7/27/2014 7:13 PM

just hoping I could get some insight from anyone on weather this bike would be a good buy or not, I haven't had a bmx bike in so long I'm not to familiar with what would be best suited for me, I know its kinda hard to just strait up tell me oh this is what you need but any opinions would be awesome, im about 6'2 175 lbs. im kinda leaning more towards the sexton model though http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/102437/2015_Kink_Liberty_Sexton_Bike.html any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated

|

7/27/2014 7:19 PM

full chromoly frame, chromoly bars & fork, sealed hubs, double wall rims, and 20.85" TT.. Seems pretty good but the top tube could be a little longer for you. The bike itself will hold up just as well as a stock bike will. meaning you will eventually break/bend things on it, but they're much better than a lower end complete.

You know that's LHD though right?

|

7/27/2014 7:27 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

full chromoly frame, chromoly bars & fork, sealed hubs, double wall rims, and 20.85" TT.. Seems pretty good but the top ...more

you think it would be to long? I just don't want to go too short and end up regretting my purchase, and yea I know I feel like when I start to learn grinds that its just gonna be so much more comfortable on my right side

|

7/27/2014 7:30 PM

coot wrote:

you think it would be to long? I just don't want to go too short and end up regretting my purchase, and yea I know I feel like ...more

Noo it might be a bit too short, I'm not too sure though. It's more your preference cause I know people shorter than you on a 21" frame, and people just as tall as you on a 20.5"

Some people say if you're 6ft you should at least have a 21", but 20.85" isn't far off so you should be fine. I'd wait for someone else to comment in here with their opinion first though.

and alright just making sure haha

|

7/27/2014 7:31 PM

I'd get a longer top tube frame. I think that's what SundaybmxRR was saying too. (he just worded it weird)

21 + with taller bars.

I don't know of many completes that come with a 21+ top tube frame.

|

7/27/2014 7:38 PM

pnj wrote:

I'd get a longer top tube frame. I think that's what SundaybmxRR was saying too. (he just worded it weird)

21 + with taller ...more

yeah that's what I meant haha my bad.

|

7/27/2014 7:42 PM

go for a 21 if you can

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

7/27/2014 7:43 PM

pnj wrote:

21 + with taller ...more

yea I know this was one of the better looking completes I found for someone my size, eh maybe it wouldn't be to much of a difference between 21'' and the 20.85

|

7/27/2014 7:43 PM

pnj wrote:

21 + with taller ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

yeah that's what I meant haha my bad.

haha its all cool man thanks for chiming in at least

|

7/27/2014 7:59 PM

I'm 6'2 and I run a 20.75, 20.85 should be fine for you

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

7/27/2014 8:02 PM

i was comfortable on a 20.75 when i was like 4'10' and now my 20.25 is better ok (replacing in winter) and I'm around the ballpark of 5'6" or 5-7 last time i was at the doctors
preferences change, but 20.75-21.2 would be a good place to start for you.

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

7/27/2014 8:08 PM

If you were/ are use to using brakes, I do not think the Liberty comes with mounts for one.

|

7/27/2014 8:14 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

i was comfortable on a 20.75 when i was like 4'10' and now my 20.25 is better ok (replacing in winter) and I'm around the ...more

yea I get what your saying im still going to think about it and I still have some saving to do but thanks for your opinion man

|

7/27/2014 8:15 PM

Wayne S wrote:

If you were/ are use to using brakes, I do not think the Liberty comes with mounts for one.

yea im not going to run breaks

|

7/27/2014 9:04 PM

The Liberty Sexton is a solid bike, but has a flaw. The stupid stem on it is bad. It slips constantly despite the best efforts. Id say if you buy it, get a stem with it.

My friend has it and i built it for him and that stem is garbage. Like going off any jump it slipped for him

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/27/2014 9:07 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

The Liberty Sexton is a solid bike, but has a flaw. The stupid stem on it is bad. It slips constantly despite the best ...more

yea I don't really like the look of top load stems anyway, but when you say slip, what are you talking about like the bars move forward and back?

|

7/27/2014 9:14 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

The Liberty Sexton is a solid bike, but has a flaw. The stupid stem on it is bad. It slips constantly despite the best ...more

and any stems you could recommend for a replacement?

|

7/27/2014 10:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2014 10:43 PM

Just get a longer stem so you will have more space. 20.85 frame will be alright.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

7/27/2014 10:44 PM

neophyte16 wrote:

Just get a longer stem so you will have more space. 20.85 frame will be alright.

longer stem doesnt change wheelbase
go for a 21

|

7/28/2014 2:35 PM

neophyte16 wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

go for a 21

Ughh just too much contradiction so hard to think lol honestly the kink liberty seems to be one of the better buys on danscomp right now and how much of a difference could it possibly be from 20.85 to 21 but I guess I'll have to keep looking, if anyone knows any good 21" tt completes out right now suggestions would be awesome

|

7/28/2014 3:27 PM

Kink makes pretty solid completes..the Sexton liberty looks real nice..as far as top tube length goes, if you like to be more tight and compact, go .75-.85, if you like to be stretched out with a little more room go with 21..Sunday has out a couple nice 20.75's now and the United kl40 ex looks sick too and it's 21" depends on how much you wanna spend too. Id rather spend it up front and get something with chromoly frame, forks and bars, sealed hubs, double wall rims, legit cranks and tires, than cheap out and have stuff breaking and time off the bike waiting on parts or repairs.

|

7/28/2014 3:45 PM

Wayne S wrote:

coot wrote:

yea im not going to run breaks

If you are new to riding, don't take brakes off to be "cool" or whatever. Try them.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/29/2014 9:21 AM

Maybe there are some riders there that have 20.85 or 21 bikes. maybe you could try riding them and see what's the most comfortable.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

7/29/2014 7:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/29/2014 7:25 PM

neophyte16 wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

go for a 21

coot wrote:

Ughh just too much contradiction so hard to think lol honestly the kink liberty seems to be one of the better buys on danscomp ...more

20.85 is a fraction of a hair under 20 7/8s. So it is a little more then 1/8 of an inch shorter then 21 inches.

My question to taller riders would be, how is a 13.25 chainstay for someone with such and such size shoe with a rear peg etc.

I am 5 foot 7, my shoe size is 8 1/2, my chainstay is 13.25 and my foot is pretty darn close to touching my rear peg.

|

7/30/2014 7:52 AM

I'm 6' tall and wear 10 1/2 sneakers, my chainstays are about 13.25 and had to go with 165mm cranks when I went to four pegs. I didn't think it would've worked but it did..as long as my foot is in the middle of the pedal I'm fine..it was a little adjustment cuz I used to ride with my foot a little back on the pedals but like anything else you just get used to it

|

7/30/2014 2:14 PM

I think a version of the sunday am bike has a 21 top tube

|