lacing 1/2 flangless hub

Related:
Create New Tag

7/24/2016 3:13 AM

So i was wanting to order a KisBikeCo Rattlesnake back hub, and then i realised its half flangless. meaning the driver side is flanged and the opposite side isnt. how would you lace this, ive heard flangless hubs use tree spokes but im confused on hos youd lace a half flangless hub

|

7/24/2016 3:59 AM

they use normal spokes as seen here

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

7/24/2016 4:02 AM

would it give it more or less support, i find it strange having half flanged

|

7/24/2016 4:08 AM

just a quick google search will tell you just try it next time but here

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

7/24/2016 4:26 AM

Flangeless basically means there's no flange to damage doing grinds. It doesn't make the wheel any stronger, nor weaker. Hence they only have flangeless on the non drive side, assuming that's where you'd be doing the majority of your grinds. In a way I don't really see the point as you'd still want a hub guard to protect your spokes ideally. That particular design still uses j spokes, but most use straight spokes

|

7/24/2016 10:19 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Flangeless basically means there's no flange to damage doing grinds. It doesn't make the wheel any stronger, nor weaker. Hence ...more

It definitely makes the wheel stiffer. It results in 4x lacing which is stiffer than 3x. When I switched from a regular hub to a flangeless, I couldn't believe the difference in stiffness. Now that I switched back, I kind of regret it!

@OP, you still lace it like normal with regular spokes. It's actually a lot easier.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

7/24/2016 10:50 AM

Swings and roundabouts, it makes it stiffer, but puts more strain on the spokes. That's why 3 cross has been an industry standard for such a long time. Different lacing patterns have been played around with for decades, nothing really comes along that's definitely better, otherwise everyone will use it

|