light rims!

Related:
Create New Tag

5/23/2016 11:29 AM

i have odyssey hazard lite rims. they are super strong but alitttle to heavy for me and id like to get something lighter. im around 120lb, and 16 years old. I was looking at sun envy rims but I don't know anyone who has them. in your opinion whats the lightest yet strongest rim on the market?? I ride park trails and street. pretty much anything I can find.... please help me out thank you.

|

5/23/2016 11:36 AM

Birdcage or Fly rims

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/23/2016 12:02 PM

I know the Sun rims are real popular in the MTB world for being light and strong, but have not heard of may people using them in BMX either.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/23/2016 12:30 PM

Sun rims have been around for years, they're awesome. Not the lightest, not the strongest, but a good somewhere inbetween. I'm after a pair of envy rims myself. I'm sure there's probably a lighter and stronger rim out there somewhere

|

5/23/2016 12:36 PM

Sun big city rims

|

5/23/2016 1:17 PM

Sun rims are pretty common on the racing side of the fence (or at least were when I was in a shop)

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/23/2016 1:44 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Sun big city rims

X2

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

5/23/2016 2:58 PM

I like my odyssey aerospace rims. They feel really light at least compared to what I usually ride and they have handled my riding now for a couple months and have stayed true.

|

5/23/2016 3:18 PM

Hard lite are some of the lightest/strongest wheels on the market. Some others are the 7Ks and and of the gsport. Maybe try a lighter wieght tire, that will make a hell of a difference, like Maxxis, Tioga, or KHE.

|

5/23/2016 3:47 PM

I suggest the bonedeth rim

|

5/23/2016 3:51 PM

birdcages are solid and lighter than 99% of whats out there

|

5/23/2016 4:52 PM

G Sport Bird's
G Sport Roll's
ODSY Aerospace's
Alienation Felon's
Alienation Runaway's
Alienation Skylark's
Sun Rhyno Lite XL's
Sun Envy's (Park Specific)
Eclat Mercury (v2 *NOTE: v1 is lighter may be much weaker... I think the v2 is built thicker*

Those are a few off the top of my head

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

5/23/2016 5:52 PM

Alienation Skylark or Deviant, maybe? These are great front wheels and only good in the rear if you're brakeless as pads aren't designed to be compatible with the rim. These won't be too great if you grind tons, also.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/23/2016 7:00 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Sun big city rims

ironmaiden666 wrote:

X2

Yup or City Lites

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

5/23/2016 7:36 PM

get lighter tires instead of rims, as said before hazard lights are probably the strongest and still pretty light.

|

5/24/2016 7:02 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Sun rims have been around for years, they're awesome. Not the lightest, not the strongest, but a good somewhere inbetween. I'm after a pair of envy rims myself. I'm sure there's probably a lighter and stronger rim out there somewhere

how are the envy rims? will they bend or come un true easily?

|

5/24/2016 7:06 AM

Obama wrote:

get lighter tires instead of rims, as said before hazard lights are probably the strongest and still pretty light.

yeah im savung up for maxxis grifters, but I want lighter rims to haha

|

5/24/2016 7:14 AM

Hazards are probably the lightest strong rims you can run

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/24/2016 9:21 AM

I ride an alienation felon in the front and a sun envy in the back with ti spokes. They feel decent but they aren't as sturdy feeling. If you ride stairs sets or gaps or anything I'd just keep the Odysseys. The few ounces won't make a huge difference.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

5/24/2016 10:16 AM

I'd second the recommendations for Odyssey Aerospace or G-Sport's. Though you're not gonna do a whole lot better than the Hazards, at least for a back rim. You could definitely put something lighter on the front, but keep in mind a lot of lighter weight aero rims (Envy, Deviant) are also super narrow, meaning if you run matching tires the front will actually look narrower (Odyssey Aerospace is a notable exception, but it's only like 1.5 oz lighter than the Hazard). As others have said, lighter tires are probably the better route.

I will say, speaking from experience, super light wheels aren't always as nice as you'd think. There's a reason super light weight setups have been going out of style lately. I used to run Alienation Deviant (~11oz) and Delinquent (~16oz) rims with Premium RefuseResist and Alienation Differential (~16oz each) tires. Basically a very low rotating weight setup. It was great for accelerating and generally throwing the bike around, but I've found recently that my brother's bike which has very similar geometry, but heavier wheels rides a lot better. That extra weight seems to track better and is much more stable over big jumps (I ride mostly dirt).

That said I'm 25 lb heavier than you and like to ride trails so our use cases aren't exactly the same, but there's my 2 cents.

|