loose vs tight chain.

Related:
Create New Tag

9/19/2013 8:15 PM

i run a chain loose enough to wobble but not enough to hit the cs. i know some trend fags who ride it soo tight you cant even spin the cranks. i also know some people who ride it loose enough to where it comes off. what do you guys ride?

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

9/19/2013 8:18 PM

lulz, an age old question & takes forever to find the happy medium. You know there is a compromise between loose slut & tight vaj... yes/no?!?

|

United0Cult0

9/19/2013 8:26 PM

tremelo wrote:

lulz, an age old question & takes forever to find the happy medium. You know there is a compromise between loose slut ...more

Yes yes!!!

It's personal preference when I first installed my chain it was pretty tight. Could wobble about 2mm or so.... now a days I think my chain hits my chain stay if I jump high enough or drop high enough.... It might be my chain I'm not sure I just hear a rattling noise every time I jump high enough or drop O_o

|

9/19/2013 8:33 PM

tremelo wrote:

lulz, an age old question & takes forever to find the happy medium. You know there is a compromise between loose slut ...more

Aav1996 wrote:

Yes yes!!!

It's personal preference when I first installed my chain it was pretty tight. Could wobble about 2mm or so.... now ...more

we used to tighten the bitch down reasonably tight. Then, clamp (with your hands) down on the top part of the chain driving towards the sprocket (cranks) & the bottom part driving towards the driver (rear hub) purdy much in the middle of the chain stay. Squeeze like your life depended on it with those fucking axle bolts proper tight. Squeeze & squeeze 'til you could actually feel more "give" in the chain slop (wiggle up/down, vertically).

^the beginning of chain "nirvana"... aka, the break in w/o fussing with countless miles of pedal circles

|

United0Cult0

9/19/2013 8:47 PM

i like to leave just a little bit of play, enough for me to pinch the chain with 2 fingers and wobble it a tad, but not too much. but i do this mainly because i ride freecoaster and dont feel comfortable pushing the bearings to pedal through extremely tight chain tension.

|

http://grouphomebikes.com/

5050 Skatepark

text me for faster response 646 two four nine 2552

9/19/2013 9:39 PM

tremelo wrote:

we used to tighten the bitch down reasonably tight. Then, clamp (with your hands) down on the top part of the chain driving ...more

Not much of a difference is there? Other than the feeling that your chain is going to snap at any moment whistling Might try that technique next time around.

|

9/20/2013 6:36 AM

I used to ride it tight as fuck, the other day I fixed a flat and the chain was so tight it made it harder to pedal. Noemi running it a bit looser

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

9/20/2013 7:15 AM

I've always run a relatively tight chain, which is another reason I switched back to a full link (VERY hard to install tight) cuz I was sick of half links stretching. Now I run it a lil bit looser, but still kinda right for a lot of people.
The reason I run it pretty tight is I absolutely HATE the sound of my chain hitting my chainstay.

|

Insta: @devicacy

9/20/2013 7:38 AM

Like tremolo said, it's all about the happy medium. I ride it loose enough that I can pedal forwards and backwards comfortably but tight enough it doesn't hit my cs

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

9/20/2013 9:41 AM

I put it to where its just loose enough so the cranks can spin somewhat freely but other than that it bugs me when its really loose.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

9/20/2013 10:02 AM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

I put it to where its just loose enough so the cranks can spin somewhat freely but other than that it bugs me when its really ...more

This..... as well as hitting the stays bugs me. But if your sprockets out of round...which most are especially once tightened to the crank arm sometimes there isnt much choice. I just make sure the tightest spot still spins enough to be comfortable and the loose spot wont come off.

|

9/20/2013 11:11 AM

I love running a tight chain so the cranks don't spin on no footed tricks

|

9/20/2013 11:34 AM

I've always run it just tight enough for it not to hit my chain stay, to me it seems like everything runs smoother that way.

|

9/20/2013 7:13 PM

I ride with a little slack, just enough to do crankflips

|

Email: mccheesekid@gmail.com
Instagram: @McCheeseKid

Bought from: hrin, Me?, ecuadevil, regalracing, Dolphin

9/20/2013 7:16 PM

McCheeseKid wrote:

I ride with a little slack, just enough to do crankflips

Same, I keep it pretty loose but not loose enough to hit my chainstays or slip off the driver/sprocket.

|