low profile frames? whats so good about them?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2010 12:06 PM

do they make it easier to hop or manual ? or make anything harder to do?

|

12/23/2010 12:11 PM

do you mean "scooters" like the black eye killarado?

or frames with a low BB height?

|

Check Profile for 24 Refs!

Chicago BMX Video!!

12/23/2010 12:13 PM

It doesn't make anything easier really. Besides maybe Whips or can-cans. I just like the way mine looks honestly.

|

"I've had the 2 greatest corn dogs of my life, and I owe it all to BMX."

12/23/2010 12:14 PM

~Stolen Boy~ wrote:

do you mean "scooters" like the black eye killarado?

or frames with a low BB height?

yeah like the black eye

|

12/23/2010 12:15 PM

it does make tailwhips much easier. the killarado makes whips a lot easier, my friend use to ride one and there was a huge difference, a lot easier to get over the frame. along with can cans. but i personally hate them.

|

flowin' like a period.

12/23/2010 12:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2016 5:16 AM

A lower seat tube height allows the rider to get his legs over the top tube easier than with a seat tube height of around 8-9", which is what you typically see on an aftermarket frame, and a lot of completes. This makes tricks like tailwhips and can-cans alot easier. The frame geometry is one of those things that you either love or hate. I have no hate towards them, because if they make a rider happy, than that means a riders happy, and BMXing is about being happy, not having the coolest/worst looking bike at you local park.

Some people say that they are weaker. This is really just a myth. Whether or not it is true is really a mystery, until we can see a positive correlation between a low seat tube height, and breakages in frames. But because companies feel that too many people don't like low stand-over frames, they feel that there isn't a big enough market, so therefore the major frame makers that people would buy from aren't making them, people aren't buying them, so it's difficult to say if they break easier.

I wouldn't imagine they would help you hugely with hops and manuals, those things come with practice, and finding the right technique. You could have a massive stand over height, and still manual further than someone with one of these low stand over frames, just because you have practised, and nailed the right technique.

|

PSN - TheNunPoacher

12/23/2010 1:03 PM

camjf wrote:

A lower seat tube height allows the rider to get his legs over the top tube easier than with a seat tube height of around 8-9", which is what you typically see on an aftermarket frame, and a lot of completes. This makes tricks like tailwhips and can-cans alot easier. The frame geometry is one of those things that you either love or hate. I have no hate towards them, because if they make a rider happy, than that means a riders happy, and BMXing is about being happy, not having the coolest/worst looking bike at you local park.

Some people say that they are weaker. This is really just a myth. Whether or not it is true is really a mystery, until we can see a positive correlation between a low seat tube height, and breakages in frames. But because companies feel that too many people don't like low stand-over frames, they feel that there isn't a big enough market, so therefore the major frame makers that people would buy from aren't making them, people aren't buying them, so it's difficult to say if they break easier.

I wouldn't imagine they would help you hugely with hops and manuals, those things come with practice, and finding the right technique. You could have a massive stand over height, and still manual further than someone with one of these low stand over frames, just because you have practised, and nailed the right technique.

alright sweet thanks

|

12/23/2010 1:12 PM

Here are the pros: ________________

Here are the cons: You look like a cunt, its too twitchy, the seated position sucks, its harder to pinch your seat for bar spins unless you raise your seat quiet a lot, which also looks stupid on a low stand over frame.

imo but also the truth

|

12/23/2010 1:30 PM

Booshy wrote:

Here are the cons: You look like a cunt, its too twitchy, the seated position sucks, its harder to pinch your seat for bar spins unless you raise your seat quiet a lot, which also looks stupid on a low stand over frame.

imo but also the truth

its too twitchy? dont blame the frame for that...

|

12/23/2010 1:33 PM

Booshy wrote:

imo but also the truth

Sinister Game wrote:

its too twitchy? dont blame the frame for that...

yeah, a low frame or a frame with I high bb is twitchy, or the crazies that like it say it is responsive, but imo they are just twitchy

|

12/23/2010 4:32 PM

camjf wrote:

Clayton_Bennett wrote:

alright sweet thanks

Only it's not a myth that low profile frames are weaker because the actual geometry of the triangles creates a weaker shape. The strongest triangle is an equilateral triangle anything more acute than that makes a weaker frame. No myth just science and engineering.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

12/23/2010 4:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2010 4:46 PM

camjf wrote:

Clayton_Bennett wrote:

alright sweet thanks

cupovjoe wrote:

Only it's not a myth that low profile frames are weaker because the actual geometry of the triangles creates a weaker shape. The strongest triangle is an equilateral triangle anything more acute than that makes a weaker frame. No myth just science and engineering.

Very true. A Triangle is very strong. Make the Triangle into a thin Scalene and it weakens. I love math.

|

MOTW- 6/21/10- 6/27/10
Refs- Hyphy
Facebook