mds2 guard sprocket (la guardia) and what chain!! Cult half link vs BSD 1991 half link

Related:
Create New Tag

6/22/2016 4:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2016 4:53 AM

I have made my mind up on the rear wheel im getting (demolition v2 complete coaster wheel and im getting a free guard with it)
Now i need a sprocket and chain, the la guardia guard sprocket looks great and says it fits all sized chains, it would be a 25t if i got it. Out of the bsd 1991 half link and cult half link which one in your opinion is better?

|

6/22/2016 8:22 AM

Get a 510 or Keychain instead. Full links are better than half links in every way.

|

6/22/2016 10:02 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Get a 510 or Keychain instead. Full links are better than half links in every way.

Was thinking about a full link but i need my wheel exactly where i want it to be haha, plus i was thinking about slamming the wheel sometime in the future. I had a bluebird chain and hated it so its kinda put me off full links but idk if it was a one off thing or what..I won't be using pedal pressure on cabs and stuff since im getting a coaster. Keychain does look dope tho.

|

6/22/2016 10:38 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

Was thinking about a full link but i need my wheel exactly where i want it to be haha, plus i was thinking about slamming the ...more

Half links don't provide any more length options. This is a really common misconception. They provide the exact same amount of options as a full link chain with a single half link. I ran both a Bluebird and a hollow Keychain for two years each. The Keychain never broke, the Bluebird only broke once but it wasn't a complete failure, and it kept on going for another year.

|

6/22/2016 10:46 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

Was thinking about a full link but i need my wheel exactly where i want it to be haha, plus i was thinking about slamming the ...more

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Half links don't provide any more length options. This is a really common misconception. They provide the exact same amount of ...more

Fair enough man, yeah i see heaps of people proving half links vs full links dont do this and dont do that its confusing af haha. My salt plus half link chain i had for like 4 years haha, was stretched by the end of its life but it had a good run and was tough as hell! The solid pin keychain and normal keychain is out of stock on the site i am ordering on which sucks since it looks sick.

|

6/22/2016 11:05 AM

Get any 510 chain, and a half link if you need it. The bluebird and kmc kool are both a bit of a dodgy fit on a 9t driver from my experience so just get one with normal shaped plates. Half link chains weigh a lot more, most stretch a lot easier, and they're not really any stronger. Plus you'll have the guard on the sprocket and hub so you shouldn't really hit the chain anyway

|

6/22/2016 11:40 AM

My half links have been great to me, BUT the issue I have is my MDS (original version) has some gnarly chain pin grooves on the inside of the guard due to not enough space. I got it used from a kid a while back, so no complaints.

Next chain will probably be a bluebird or Keychain.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/22/2016 11:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2016 1:15 PM

I'm running a BSD Forever full link chain and it's given me zero issues when tight as fuck or loose for crankflips.

Edit : Love how Ohioan comes out of his cave for Odyssey Posts only lol

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/22/2016 3:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2016 3:42 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I'm running a BSD Forever full link chain and it's given me zero issues when tight as fuck or loose for crankflips.

Edit : ...more

Photo

Let me know when the cancer look gets you laid.
|

6/23/2016 3:30 AM

think im going to go with the cult half link, heard heaps of good things like it doesn't stretch much at all. My last half link was fine on my driver since none of the teeth are damaged at all, my sprocket is done for though, was only 6061 and i bent it twice landing on a ledge haha.

|

6/23/2016 7:57 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

think im going to go with the cult half link, heard heaps of good things like it doesn't stretch much at all. My last half ...more

I broke a Cult half link in two weeks. All half link chains stretch. The Cult is the same as every other generic half link.

|

6/23/2016 10:38 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Edit : ...more

I dont know what to get dude :O
Cult half link with lots of good reviews + good experience with my salt half link for like 3 years.
or the BSD 510 forever chain, I need my wheel aligned 100 percent where i want for now because my wheel rubs if its just a bit off.
So many mixed reviews about half links and full links.
I like my chain to not make noise and be solid af, for some reason i like thick looking chains it makes me feel more comfortable on my bike haha.
My half link has been fine on my driver, no damage on teeth at all. my sprocket is fucked though and bent from slamming on ledges, only 6061 alloy though, upgrading to a 7075 guard sprocket!
what do you recommend man?

|

6/23/2016 5:44 PM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

Cult half link with lots of good reviews + good experience with my salt half link for like 3 ...more

Ohio already covered the basis at least twice now. Full link chains > half link chains. The only real benefit to them is if you have like a 22/8 gearing ratio. Otherwise, just get a full link chain with a single half link and it'll do the exact same job.

Both full link chains and half link chains stretch, but half link chains stretch A LOT more due to them being "pre bent" into shape. The only exception is the Shadow Supreme chain which uses a different method to shape the link, but it's also quite expensive so unless you wanna dish out the cash to get the Shadow one, just get any 510 chain with a half link preinstalled (Cult 510, Primo 510, Odyssey Bluebird, etc) and it'll be fine

|

6/23/2016 7:09 PM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

Cult half link with lots of good reviews + good experience with my salt half link for like 3 ...more

Well a halflink well get your wheel in the spot you want a lot easier so get that then if your wheel is going to rub

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short