my back wheel is wheely fucked up

Related:
Create New Tag

7/13/2013 8:50 PM

hello hi my back wheel is super untrue or whatever. i'm missing 3 consecutive spokes on my grind side and 2 more on about the opposite side of wheel (still grind side) so that makes 5 total. it makes it very hard to true because of this and now my wheel is noticeably bent and has a huge hop. not really bent but you can see where it's warped and it's noticeable while riding. the tire also is almost constantly rubbing on my chainstay or seatstay as a result of this.

my question is: what should i do? it's difficult to just replace the spokes because they have to be bent around all of the other spokes. should i just take it to a shop and have them re-lace it? or can anybody direct me to a video of how to lace a bmx back wheel? i've seen that one video from Empire but i don't know what spoke pattern i should do it in. i am kind of on a time grind because i leave to go to san diego next week and i want to bring my bike with me without having to deal with this bitchass shit

it's a primo complete wheel, Mix hub to 7 series rim.

addition question: has anybody here ridden the Duo stunner tires and if so would you recommend them to a friend or loved one? i am thinking about getting those if my shop has them but if not i'll probably settle for whatever else they have, my back tire has a good size hole in it where the bead is showing.

|

7/13/2013 9:02 PM

Might need a new rim, new spokes.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

7/13/2013 9:04 PM

if you have a time frame you have to have it done just bring it to you LBS to get it re lace they will probably do it same day most likely

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

7/13/2013 10:24 PM

I would buy spokes and nipples and replace them myself. It isnt hard to do. And if you cant do that, get a new rom and spokes and do it yourself. Honestly you shouldnt have bent those spokes you shoulda took them out and got new ones asap before that damage had been done. And from what i hear, the duo stunners are good. Go with animal if you can

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/13/2013 10:55 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

I would buy spokes and nipples and replace them myself. It isnt hard to do. And if you cant do that, get a new rom and spokes and do it yourself. Honestly you shouldnt have bent those spokes you shoulda took them out and got new ones asap before that damage had been done. And from what i hear, the duo stunners are good. Go with animal if you can

i didn't bend any of the spokes, i removed all of the broken ones. i think im going to consult with my lbs, i just dont wanna end up being raped just for lacing a wheel, one of my lbs's charges 75 for a lacing, hopefully the one i call tomorrow is cheaper. i might try to replace the spokes myself, i have extra spokes and nipples it's just that the spokes aren't the right length.

|

7/13/2013 11:29 PM

are you saying you're missing them all on the same side? if so, this makes it easier..

I'll try to explain.

if your wheel is 36h, it's likely 3x. so start by putting the new spokes in. do the ones that go IN towards the hub first.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

if you're missing the spokes on the left side, take a spoke and push it in from the left on the left side. bend it around to get it to fit into the groove dug into the hub. Doesn't matter if you bend it a lot, once you tighten it up it'll straighten back out. the pattern here is this spoke will go under the first 2 spokes it crosses (if there are broken spokes where it should cross, it won't cross them until you replace them) then under the 3rd spoke. do this with all the spokes that need replaced being pushed in from the left.

now for the other ones, push them into the left side of the hub as you did before.. ONLY THIS TIME, push them in from the RIGHT SIDE. once again to make things easier, just follow the groove dug into the hub, and this spoke will go over the first 2 spokes it crosses, and under the 3rd spoke.

hope this helps. if you need something explained better just lemme know

|

7/14/2013 12:25 AM

Just replace the snapped spokes and re true from there. It's not hard just can take a little while to perfect

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

7/14/2013 6:55 AM

jj0996 wrote:

if you have a time frame you have to have it done just bring it to you LBS to get it re lace they will probably do it same day most likely

Depends on the shop. This time of year they could be booked up.

Call a local shop, tell them you need at least 5 spokes, and ask what it would cost to have them do it. Also ask if you can watch to get an idea of how to.

Honestly it is really easy. I built a wheel in 30 minutes BEFORE having knowledge how. Now it takes me like 15-20 to go from a pile of parts to a rideable wheel.

Just look at the other spokes and how they are on the wheel, and follow that pattern. Seriously it is easy.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura