my rant

Related:
Create New Tag

3/28/2014 3:25 PM

So I am getting brakes and bars and decided to go local. I called all the bmx specific shops in my area. Six in total. Five, FIVE didn't even answer. I could three times for each company, spaced apart, not in a row. The one that did answer didn't even carry the parts I need that they advertised. I sucked it up and went to the biggest sporting goods store in the world. Scheels. Not as in hiw many stores, but as in the biggest building. They had everything. They also happen to be a big company and a corporate greed hole. I tried supporting my local shops, and they all sucked. /rant.

And you know it's cool when their bmx department is as big as your house.

|

3/28/2014 3:29 PM

I feel you, there is a ¨local¨ shop 47km away and i cant support them cause they almost dont carry any part that i like.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/28/2014 3:48 PM

Those shops suck then. They should be answering. But when it comes down to it, local is good, but if your local won't give you the time of day, look elsewhere.

Bummer. I missed post # 12345.

Oh well.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/28/2014 4:05 PM

Thing is , local shops help the scene. But most don't have what you want , plus they cost more.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/28/2014 4:07 PM

My local shop was shit. We had to teach the owner how to build and true wheels, he had like 15 shitty BMX parts and the rest of the stuff was the same stuff you could find at Walmart. Prices for parts were decent but prices for labor were waaayy too much. They shut down last fall.

|

3/28/2014 4:20 PM

My lbs has chains and grips that's it though.. He over charges for labor and half of the time it wasn't right. That's how he makes his money though by ripping people off that's why i learned how to do everything though.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

3/28/2014 4:22 PM

All my locals suck all only sell beach cruisers or road bikes. the one that does sell bmx parts thats about 15-20 miles away marks the prices up like crazy....its the home of $25 grips haha

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

3/28/2014 5:05 PM

should order the odyssey Springfield brake kit. they are badass and such a great deal

|

"Of course theyre compatible theyre cranks"

3/28/2014 6:39 PM

Lol. that sucks. my local is kinda well known. The Secret BMX And no its not the member...

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

3/28/2014 7:35 PM

My experience with EVERY shop ive walked into...

Over priced labor ($12+ to change a tube, $5+ to move handlebars)
Extremely long labor (2hour wait for an inner tube change)
Overpriced parts ($100 Profile stems, $38 Shadow Crank and Bones sprocket, $10+ tubes, $140 Nitrous Double Shot cassette wheels, $20-25 ODI Longnecks)
Crappy service (sold my not-so-smart friend a Nitrous Single Shot (unsealed) wheel and claimed it was a Double Shot (sealed) wheel)
Little selection (small case of budget parts, maybe 10 quality parts, takes nearly a month to get your stuff from them if you order something else)

I would rather save wallet and bike and order from a mail order. Unless you have a REALLY dope lbs, which most of us dont, then mail order all day long. Fuck shops.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/28/2014 7:39 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Extremely ...more

this... though there is one in ofallon that is decent in customer service and how long it takes to get parts in ... but would still rather order mail order... 3 days from a bike shop plus how ever many days to get a ride there twice oooorrrrr one day through mail order

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

3/28/2014 7:40 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Extremely ...more

2 hour wait for an inner tube change isn't bad, at my lbs they take am entire day and charged like $25

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

3/28/2014 7:41 PM

Go into the shops that "suck" and hang around, get to know the owner & talk to him and tell him what's hot for bmx & what's not, that's what you gotta do. The shop I currently work at used to carry just mountain/road bike stuff & bmx race stuff, hardly anything freestyle bmx related. Then a friend of mine started going there a lot, hanging out with the owner & stuff talking about freestyle & parts, and then started carrying a lot of stuff & since then it's gotten a lot better. A lot of people used to be like "oh no don't go there, they don't have shit" or they suck, or something, not anymore though! haha

|

3/28/2014 7:44 PM

Allot of what the shop has in stock depends on who their distributor is.....ask the guys at the shop who theirs is and they can order in what you want if their distributor has the company your looking for

|

3/28/2014 7:45 PM

All local bike shops are total shit for bmx . they suck and just want to make money off the dumb people who want bikes but arent actual enthusiasts . sad but thats why we got places like empire

|

3/28/2014 7:48 PM

mitchovich wrote:

All local bike shops are total shit for bmx . they suck and just want to make money off the dumb people who want bikes but ...more

Paradox; Empire is a local bike shop.

|

3/28/2014 7:52 PM

mitchovich wrote:

All local bike shops are total shit for bmx . they suck and just want to make money off the dumb people who want bikes but ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

not for me cool cool cool

|

3/28/2014 7:53 PM

mitchovich wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

and i might be mistaken but i thought danscomp headquarters had a shop

|

3/28/2014 8:01 PM

Transitions a pretty dope shop they're in it for bmx

|

3/28/2014 8:04 PM

mitchovich wrote:

and i might be mistaken but i thought danscomp headquarters had a shop

I'm not sure, I know Albes is a shop as well. Not every shop is in it just for the money though. Shop I'm at isn't like that at all

|

3/28/2014 10:35 PM

My lbs is all about the riders. Owner works two other jobs just to keep the door open. Has ramps in the shop to ride. Cool guy, just needs some rider support...

|

HardBMX_Tim wrote: I welded a peg to my pedal so I could do pedal grinds. I would rather wear a teletubbies speedo than a shirt with the word "Bitches" on it, or even worse, "Swag".

3/28/2014 11:24 PM

And U Talk Smack About Me Smh. ...

|

Fuck u

3/29/2014 12:22 AM

I support my local shop as much as possible aka Dah Shop in Chinatown... Tyrone always has the small parts in stock I need.. I hate waiting for stuff in the mail..

|

Refs: ecuadevil, superstarDK ,Brian_Griffin ,howlerfbm,ScramHype,Ricked_Em,BMXPOSER

text me for a faster response 2016681770

3/29/2014 2:29 AM

Inforgot to say thatbits 40€ for building a wheel here. Convert it to dollars and be scary.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

3/29/2014 6:52 AM

So what I’m getting from some of the comments here is that bmx shops should have the same inventory as Dan’s and should not make any money.

|

3/29/2014 6:53 AM

boston wrote:

My lbs is all about the riders. Owner works two other jobs just to keep the door open. Has ramps in the shop to ride. Cool ...more

That's dedication right there.

|

3/29/2014 7:13 AM

Fondue wrote:

So what I’m getting from some of the comments here is that bmx shops should have the same inventory as Dan’s and should not ...more

So what im getting from your comment is that I should sacrifice the quality and feel of my bike and support a shop who doesn't care for bmx anyway.

Imo, if a shop isnt thriving off bmx and is struggling with it, they may aswell stop for their own interest. They spend hundreds of dollars on parts that nobody wants just to have them sit around for years and collect dust. Majority of shops would do ALOT better if they just stuck to mtb/etc. I cant walk into a shop and get exactly what I want, atleast without waiting horrible periods of time and paying additional fees. I can pull up my web browser and find the exact part I want for its retail value or less.

If they stop stocking bmx, people will go to mailorders.
If they keep attempting to stock bmx, people will still go to mail orders.

They need to just do whats logical.

Note: this does NOT apply to every shop.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/29/2014 7:25 AM

Fondue wrote:

So what I’m getting from some of the comments here is that bmx shops should have the same inventory as Dan’s and should not ...more

so what im getting from your comment is you like wasting money

|

3/29/2014 7:29 AM

I have a few sucky shops around. One shop i saw charge a little kid $15 to put his chain back on! It wasn't broken either, it just needed to be rolled back on. Another lbs ruined one of my rims. I took it there to get it trued, and they just tightened the spokes like crazy and the spoke holes pulled out. The shop i use now i really like. They have a good bmx selection and trued my wheel perfect for ten bucks after i tried to lace it myself (very bad idea). Also, Neil Hise (rides for FBM) works there.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

3/29/2014 7:38 AM

Fondue wrote:

mitchovich wrote:

so what im getting from your comment is you like wasting money

this more or less.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER