ne brakes.

Related:
Create New Tag

11/23/2013 8:23 PM

So as my project fit bike comes along, I am getting really picky and am wondering about brakes. First instinct is to pick up some evo 2's or springfields, but I was wondering if any other things are suggested or coming out in the future.

|

11/23/2013 8:26 PM

The setup on my new build is going to be...

BRAKE LEVER: Eclat Sniper
BRAKE CABLE: Tree SB Power Linear
BRAKE PADS: Kool Stop BMX
BRAKE: Kink Desist

Full length version of the lever, 44" version of the cable, and the pads will be salmon.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

11/23/2013 8:29 PM

Hmm, seems good, but one of the main appeals is that the monolever and evos come in thesame color my frame is, and I was going to pair it up with some clear brake cable.

|

11/23/2013 8:36 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Hmm, seems good, but one of the main appeals is that the monolever and evos come in thesame color my frame is, and I was going to pair it up with some clear brake cable.

I'm very, very particular about my brake setup. It needs to be perfect or I'll hate it. You shouldn't worry about how your brakes look at all, just how they work and feel.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

11/23/2013 8:38 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Hmm, seems good, but one of the main appeals is that the monolever and evos come in thesame color my frame is, and I was going to pair it up with some clear brake cable.

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I'm very, very particular about my brake setup. It needs to be perfect or I'll hate it. You shouldn't worry about how your brakes look at all, just how they work and feel.

Tne looks were a nice touch, best looking brakes around imo, snd I have heard only good things about them.

|

11/23/2013 8:41 PM

tech 77

|

11/23/2013 9:16 PM

I thought the project fit bike was all about being on a budget.

|

11/23/2013 9:21 PM

Most any brake will be okay, it's all about how you tension them. You could have a $50 brake & have it perform like shit if it's tensioned wrong, but you could also have a stock set of generic brakes perform excellent if it's tensioned right.

Both brakes you listed are good, as for cable you want a linear.. any brand will do really. Brake levers I'd go with something with a shorter lever to be honest, I used to have an Odyssey Monolever with the long trigger lever and I didn't really like it. A shorter lever seems like it'd be easier to pull hard

|

11/23/2013 9:22 PM

Fondue wrote:

I thought the project fit bike was all about being on a budget.

One thing I say shit to on a budget is breaks, I ride my bike down HUGE hills just to get to the park and I bet none of you go through brakes like me. I have trashed four sets of sinzs v-brakes and am working my way to five. I will never ride brakeless either. Ever. So beefy brakes are a must, and I dont think tne Springfields will cut it. This is one of the few things im not going low budget on. Thanks for reading my rant.

|

11/23/2013 9:28 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Most any brake will be okay, it's all about how you tension them. You could have a $50 brake & have it perform like shit if it's tensioned wrong, but you could also have a stock set of generic brakes perform excellent if it's tensioned right.

Both brakes you listed are good, as for cable you want a linear.. any brand will do really. Brake levers I'd go with something with a shorter lever to be honest, I used to have an Odyssey Monolever with the long trigger lever and I didn't really like it. A shorter lever seems like it'd be easier to pull hard

Actually I rode a bike with a big brake lever. Absolutely hate. No. Nada. Nein. This, is, UNSATISFACTORY!

|

11/23/2013 9:31 PM

I feel you, my Flintstones are starting to sketch me out haha!

|

11/23/2013 9:38 PM

BNC wrote:

I feel you, my Flintstones are starting to sketch me out haha!

Took me a moment to figure it out, now I can't stop laughing. But I think I'll pick up some springfields, work with those, then sell a couple satin lattins, then pass on the springfields to my cousin, buy some evo's, go to yhe bmx shop in reno and learn to be a brake guru there. Planned out. Thinking ahead.

|

11/23/2013 10:43 PM

I love my evos. One thing I'm not real happy with is the stopping power of these clear pads everyone likes these days. I used to get brake pads at my lbs back in the 80's that were white, about $20 per pair, but had awesome stopping power no matter what the condition. I wish I could remember the brand. The clear ones fade on long hills. Sometimes you kinda need them to actually stop you, haha.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/24/2013 12:54 AM

I only care about the break pads. What break pads have good stopping power? I saw in the LBS they sell Xposure Clear brake pads. Is it good?

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

11/24/2013 12:57 AM

neophyte16 wrote:

I only care about the break pads. What break pads have good stopping power? I saw in the LBS they sell Xposure Clear brake pads. Is it good?

I use sinz racing pads. Only pads I use.

|

11/24/2013 12:58 AM

Chuck8273 wrote:

I love my evos. One thing I'm not real happy with is the stopping power of these clear pads everyone likes these days. I used to get brake pads at my lbs back in the 80's that were white, about $20 per pair, but had awesome stopping power no matter what the condition. I wish I could remember the brand. The clear ones fade on long hills. Sometimes you kinda need them to actually stop you, haha.

I wont go clear. I will have chrome rims soon so yay!

|

11/24/2013 1:19 AM

If I were you I would get:
Springfield Brake (Cheap, as long as you have it all tensioned properly then it wouldn't be much different to a more expensive Caliper)
Monolever in whatever size you want (A proven design)
Odyssey Linear Cable (A proven design) or try the new Kink/Tree Cables (Have a rotating barrel to keep it running smoother)
Your choice on the pads.

I find good quality Cables and Pads are more important than good quality Calipers and Levers.

|

11/24/2013 7:19 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Most any brake will be okay, it's all about how you tension them. You could have a $50 brake & have it perform like shit if it's tensioned wrong, but you could also have a stock set of generic brakes perform excellent if it's tensioned right.

Both brakes you listed are good, as for cable you want a linear.. any brand will do really. Brake levers I'd go with something with a shorter lever to be honest, I used to have an Odyssey Monolever with the long trigger lever and I didn't really like it. A shorter lever seems like it'd be easier to pull hard

I agree within reason.

Try as I might, I could never get my stock tektro 990s to be decent back in the day (this was before clear pads were around).

BUT I run a set of Diatech Fiestas on my setup right now, locks up without an issue.

I had Fly Seat Stay brakes, they were solid. I swapped for others that I had laying around. After 5 years of the Flys, they started not locking as well, and that may have just been the pads.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/24/2013 7:41 AM

If i was going to ever run brakes id run some Fly brakes with an eclat sniper lever & eclat linear cable & pads.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12


11/24/2013 7:56 AM

The Diacomp brakes and pads on mo 88 Mongoose were incredible. I could be hauling, lean back over my tire like in mid hop and clamp down on both brakes and stop in like 5 ft. I used to scare my friends like that, because I would be riding straight at them at top speed. The panicked look on their faces was great.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/24/2013 11:01 AM

I like my evo brakes......but if I where to switch I'd go with the shadow drew bezanson brake

|

11/24/2013 12:56 PM

I never had any trouble with breaks when i rode them. I really wish i could still throw some on, i need to get some. Brakes with a freecoaster = the most fun half cabs ever done. haha I may get some for christmas. Probably a springfield caliper, Odyssey cable thing, and small lever. I always miss brakes. but i can easily ride without them. I hope to have some soon.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

11/25/2013 11:06 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

I never had any trouble with breaks when i rode them. I really wish i could still throw some on, i need to get some. Brakes with a freecoaster = the most fun half cabs ever done. haha I may get some for christmas. Probably a springfield caliper, Odyssey cable thing, and small lever. I always miss brakes. but i can easily ride without them. I hope to have some soon.

Hey man, is it possible to put a caliper brake on a fork with a little hole on the top middle of the fork? Such as a Kink Stout fork? Thanks! :D

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

11/26/2013 2:24 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Hey man, is it possible to put a caliper brake on a fork with a little hole on the top middle of the fork? Such as a Kink Stout fork? Thanks! :D

Yes.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

11/26/2013 4:05 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Hey man, is it possible to put a caliper brake on a fork with a little hole on the top middle of the fork? Such as a Kink Stout fork? Thanks! :D

Yes but not necessarily good ones

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


11/26/2013 6:04 AM

You could get a 990 plate and put better brakes on.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/26/2013 8:29 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

I never had any trouble with breaks when i rode them. I really wish i could still throw some on, i need to get some. Brakes with a freecoaster = the most fun half cabs ever done. haha I may get some for christmas. Probably a springfield caliper, Odyssey cable thing, and small lever. I always miss brakes. but i can easily ride without them. I hope to have some soon.

readybmxer wrote:

Hey man, is it possible to put a caliper brake on a fork with a little hole on the top middle of the fork? Such as a Kink Stout fork? Thanks! :D

Get a 990 brake plate, there should be one on danscomp!

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.