Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2013 11:04 PM

Parts I already have...

Eclat Tibia
Cult Sprocket
Cult half link.
Shadow Stun back cassette
odyssey BB
eclat brake lever

the rest of the parts on my bike are shit and stock.

I ride trails mostly and Wanna do street as well .... so are the following parts good for that...

Fit WIFI frame /w FIT removable brake kit ( 21" , im 5' 11" 155 lbs)

Cult Hawk bars

ODI longneck grips

Animal Illegal Brake Cable

Odyssey Twisted PC LE pedels

Eclat Nathan Williams topload stem any reviews on this? any other topload stem i should get

Cult intergreted headset

Cult Sec. 2 forks

Eclat U brake

any ideas on if this is a good idea or not?

|

9/23/2013 11:10 PM

Ethan, you could have "the best parts made" but still be a noob rider and not get anywhere. If your parts are functional, work on your riding. They won't hold you back with BASIC progression. What problems are you running into with your current parts that are making you ask about new parts?

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

9/23/2013 11:12 PM

Personal preference, it really don't matter what you get as long as you like it, nearly 99% of bmx companies these days produce awesome parts. That list its pretty good.

|

9/23/2013 11:43 PM

Madtown608 wrote:

Ethan, you could have "the best parts made" but still be a noob rider and not get anywhere. If your parts are functional, work on your riding. They won't hold you back with BASIC progression. What problems are you running into with your current parts that are making you ask about new parts?

It's a 2012 verde eon thats shitty. I bent the bars and the forks are slightly bent. The bikes front heavy and I can 180 but I always land front tire first. i can 180 on other peoples bikes that have a normal weight distribution . I would rather get all these parts now than to buy them over time and spend more on shipping and getting them put on. when i say my bikes front heavy. It's really freaking front heavy.

|

9/24/2013 11:45 AM

EthanOConnor wrote:

It's a 2012 verde eon thats shitty. I bent the bars and the forks are slightly bent. The bikes front heavy and I can 180 but I always land front tire first. i can 180 on other peoples bikes that have a normal weight distribution . I would rather get all these parts now than to buy them over time and spend more on shipping and getting them put on. when i say my bikes front heavy. It's really freaking front heavy.

If you have the money to drop on those parts, then sure man. I can't comment on most the parts you've listed because I haven't used any except for the grips and pedals. Just use the search engine here on Vital and check the reviews for the parts you're considering. Perhaps other members will give their input to you in this thread as well. Good luck!

|

Winter is over-rated

9/24/2013 11:49 AM

Try working on technique?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/24/2013 1:17 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

It's kinda hard to work on technique if your bars and forks are bent and your bikes front heavy

|

9/24/2013 1:19 PM

Bro, if you ride that wifi on trails, you will die.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

9/24/2013 2:23 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

Do you have a personal experience? And any other suggestions ?

|

9/24/2013 2:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2013 3:01 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

EthanOConnor wrote:

No I don't have personal experiance, but my friend Tom does, and those are his exact words. The geometry on the Wifi is for slow and technical street, not big and fast trails. I'd suggest an FBM Gypsy, FBM Steadfast CS, S&M Credence MOD, S&M Credence CCR, any of the Deluxe frames, Mutiny Villij, Sunday Conductor, Sunday Rooster, Terrible One Ruben, Terrible One Barcode, Terrible One SFA, Deco Self Titled, Kink Mud Runner when it come out, or a Fit BF, Fit TD350, or Fit Inman

|

9/24/2013 3:26 PM

Yeah, short back end and aggressive geo can make trails pretty frightening. Otherwise your kit sounds ideal for street, sounds like your on a good sized frame for your height.

To put it another way, My favorite jumping geo was a 20.75 with a 74.5 ha, 71 sa and 13.80 stays and I'm 5'8".

But resolving the conundrum of building a ride that's good for street and trails can be tricky. Building a street and park setup is easier, but trails and street can be rough without building two bikes.

|

9/24/2013 3:32 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

EthanOConnor wrote:

It's kinda hard to work on technique if your bars and forks are bent and your bikes front heavy

You're talking to a guy who learned 180s on a 45 pound bike with 30 inch wide 4 piece bent bars back in 2000.

Terchnique. It's what's for dinner.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/24/2013 7:18 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

EthanOConnor wrote:

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

No I don't have personal experiance, but my friend Tom does, and those are his exact words. The geometry on the Wifi is for slow and technical street, not big and fast trails. I'd suggest an FBM Gypsy, FBM Steadfast CS, S&M Credence MOD, S&M Credence CCR, any of the Deluxe frames, Mutiny Villij, Sunday Conductor, Sunday Rooster, Terrible One Ruben, Terrible One Barcode, Terrible One SFA, Deco Self Titled, Kink Mud Runner when it come out, or a Fit BF, Fit TD350, or Fit Inman

aight. ill check those out. thanks

|

9/24/2013 7:19 PM

The Arkelseizure wrote:

Yeah, short back end and aggressive geo can make trails pretty frightening. Otherwise your kit sounds ideal for street, sounds like your on a good sized frame for your height.

To put it another way, My favorite jumping geo was a 20.75 with a 74.5 ha, 71 sa and 13.80 stays and I'm 5'8".

But resolving the conundrum of building a ride that's good for street and trails can be tricky. Building a street and park setup is easier, but trails and street can be rough without building two bikes.

ok. thanks ! ill check out some geo's out.

|

9/24/2013 7:20 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

EthanOConnor wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

You're talking to a guy who learned 180s on a 45 pound bike with 30 inch wide 4 piece bent bars back in 2000.

true. but if you could go back it would be easier having a bike that was nice and not heavy and broken.

|

9/24/2013 7:28 PM

EthanOConnor wrote:

true. but if you could go back it would be easier having a bike that was nice and not heavy and broken.

I think it's better to learn on a shitty bike. If i could go back and change it, I'd be riding the same, stock 30 pound DK General Lee. It's like training weights. you learn stuff on things that are harder to do it with, then when you have better equipment, everything is easier

|

9/24/2013 7:28 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

EthanOConnor wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

this guys know whats up......theres like ten new riders in my town and most of them suck and are to pussy to commit to progression.....then my one buddy has this piece of shit bike and they constantly mock him for his bike then he just rips them up......parts have nothing to do with skills........riding a front heavy bike is the most ridiculous excuse for not trying to progress and build skill level........but go ahead and waste your money its good for the companies making a dollar

|

9/24/2013 7:31 PM

these lightweight completes these days are probably why most new riders are scrawny little fuckers with no muscle mass.......i can jump on a heavy bike and do everythng i can on my regular bike........a little weight is good for ya

|

9/24/2013 7:51 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

EthanOConnor wrote:

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

I think it's better to learn on a shitty bike. If i could go back and change it, I'd be riding the same, stock 30 pound DK General Lee. It's like training weights. you learn stuff on things that are harder to do it with, then when you have better equipment, everything is easier

i got good technique from my shitty bike. i aint gonna lie. I can bunny hop like close to 2 feet. and the first day i got it i tried hitting a big set of jumps ( really big. ) but i ate shit but i never gave up. so i aint a pussy. im 155 6 foot. and im not scrawny. i can 180. im just tire tapping and landing sideways kinda because my bars are bent bad. if i grab any bike thats normal i can bunnyhop high and 180 on any bike.

|

9/24/2013 8:01 PM

Quit being a bitch and just ride. Unbend them bars and get to work. I can promise you that I've put more time in on a bike most wouldn't even ride than you've been dealing with your mildly beat bike.

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

9/24/2013 8:04 PM

EthanOConnor wrote:

i got good technique from my shitty bike. i aint gonna lie. I can bunny hop like close to 2 feet. and the first day i got it i tried hitting a big set of jumps ( really big. ) but i ate shit but i never gave up. so i aint a pussy. im 155 6 foot. and im not scrawny. i can 180. im just tire tapping and landing sideways kinda because my bars are bent bad. if i grab any bike thats normal i can bunnyhop high and 180 on any bike.

155 and 6ft? thats scrawny as fuck I got friends that look like pencils that are 6 ft and 190.

|

9/24/2013 8:06 PM

155 at 6 foot is pretty damn scawny i was like 155 when i was 15

|

9/24/2013 8:30 PM

eskimojay wrote:

155 at 6 foot is pretty damn scawny i was like 155 when i was 15

i bench my body weight and i squat 195. im not scrawny. i have a good build. im 15 right now haha.

|

9/24/2013 9:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2013 9:10 PM

I'm just curious.... What do you guys think is "ideal" for getting new parts? Never knew you had to know "basics" before getting better parts, if the kid wants to get new parts let him get em. What do you guys think are the "basics"?? This is freestyle bmx.... I knew how to wall ride before I could 180.... and my 180's still ain't up to par

To Op.... those parts are great. Like most people I too will tell you that it's the rider that matters most. Don't let anyone tell you the bike doesn't matter because it does, the rider ain't nothing without his bike..... just like the bike is nothing without the rider.

Bmx is about enjoying yourself...

I've been riding for 2 years and I can only 180, footjam tailwhip, 360, bunny hop manual and wallride. None of that really matters though because that's not what Bmx is about.

|

9/24/2013 9:37 PM

Aav1996 wrote:

I'm just curious.... What do you guys think is "ideal" for getting new parts? Never knew you had to know "basics" before getting better parts, if the kid wants to get new parts let him get em. What do you guys think are the "basics"?? This is freestyle bmx.... I knew how to wall ride before I could 180.... and my 180's still ain't up to par

To Op.... those parts are great. Like most people I too will tell you that it's the rider that matters most. Don't let anyone tell you the bike doesn't matter because it does, the rider ain't nothing without his bike..... just like the bike is nothing without the rider.

I've been riding for 2 years and I can only 180, footjam tailwhip, 360, bunny hop manual and wallride. None of that really matters though because that's not what Bmx is about.

For me, it's ideal to get new parts when parts I'm riding break or wear down such as tires, plastic pedals when I used to ride them, or grips. Another reason is to try something new or more comfortable. I got new bars a while back after trying different peoples' setups and liking the way taller bars felt since I didn't have to hunch. Your money is your money and you can get what you want, regardless of the reason. I've never felt any new part was going to make me a better rider; that's what practice is for. Check the CITI bike video, the guy shreds on that beast.

|

Winter is over-rated

9/24/2013 9:44 PM

Aav1996 wrote:

thanks man! you ever ride trails?

|

9/24/2013 10:15 PM

Get an Odyssey linear cable, I would personally get some Odyssey trailmix pedals or something metal and sealed, also I havent used the eclat brakes but I would get either Odyssey or Demolition brakes. Might wanna invest in some good tires too mabey FAFs or Aitkens.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

9/24/2013 10:18 PM

fitbikerider14 wrote:

Get an Odyssey linear cable, I would personally get some Odyssey trailmix pedals or something metal and sealed, also I havent used the eclat brakes but I would get either Odyssey or Demolition brakes. Might wanna invest in some good tires too mabey FAFs or Aitkens.

ok thanks! i have an aiken on my front wheel but not my rear.

|

9/24/2013 10:22 PM

EthanOConnor wrote:

ok thanks! i have an aiken on my front wheel but not my rear.

Cool the front will make the most diffrence so you should be good but remeber to air down your tires if you run a high psi on the street. I just rode a little trails today with my hawk tires aired down to like 35 psi and was way better than I expected from a street tire.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

9/24/2013 10:33 PM

Aav1996 wrote:

EthanOConnor wrote:

thanks man! you ever ride trails?

I don't think I have any trails around my area.... I wouldn't mind giving em a shot though sideways

If only I knew a good set of trails to try out on.

|