new bike for little fella

Related:
Create New Tag

11/5/2013 6:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/5/2013 6:45 AM

Hi guys not even sure ive posted this in the correct section so mods please feel free to move it . So ive just joined today as my seven yr old boy wants to start bmx riding great i thought right i had a couple back in the day i'll get him a mongoose with sky ways or mags or a diamond back with cw handle bars pro lite wheels mushroom grips and 2 finger pull brake levers etc ect i was propper excited so off i went to evans cycles to put in my order head full of knowlege of my 80s bike to be told by the young gent m8 your well out of date mongoose and diamond back are lower range now hu i said you mean no laid back seat pole or shimano pedals ? No all weather brake blocks ? No the boy said most dont even have front brakes some none at all wtf i thought how the hell do you do endos ? Feeling sad i left to do some homework took the little fella to a skate park and sat him on a couple of the guys bikes and asked about makes to get . I settled for this wee bike .
http://m.evanscycles.com/products/united/recruit-18-2014-bmx-bike-ec052955
Hes only turned 7 in may and is not a big lad but im still a bit worried that i should have went for a 20 inch . Could you kind gents post your thoughts to maby easy my doubts ?
Kind regards paul

|

11/5/2013 6:50 AM

Haha, yeah, I had the same type issues getting back into it. I'm sure that 18 will last him a a few years before he outgrows it. You said he's little, so that might technically be a little big for him. I actually bought myself a gigantic Redline layback and a rail type seat, but have only put it on my bike a handful of times, haha. Just looks wrong on the newer style frames.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/5/2013 6:58 AM

Well m8, honestly, most 20inches these days actually consist of a 20.5-21" toptube. Finding a "good" 20" would probably not be easy. And even for me, at 6'1", my 21" is seeming too big. If he's interested in freestyle bmx, it will be much easier on him to use a smaller bike. Example: imagine him trying to rotate a 360 on a 20" that is probably bigger than him. There would just be way too much bike for him to be pulling around. And with the bars so far ahead of him, even bunny hopping would become a struggle. Now there's no doubt that one day it will be necessary to take the step to 20inch, but there's plenty of time. And if his current set up does feel too small, you can always add a few aftermarket parts to lengthen it out, such as a new stem with further reach, forks with longer offset, etc. Hope I could help, and I wish him goodluck and welcoming to the world and lifestyle of bmx!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/5/2013 6:58 AM

That bikes fine for him mate, like chuck says it should last him a while, and it won't be difficult to sell it on when he outgrows it so your all good.

Your lad will enjoy riding that more than a 20", it will be a lot easier for him to learn stuff on.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

11/5/2013 8:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/5/2013 8:11 AM

That bike looks perfect. When my son was 7 we bought him a fit eighteen. He's 9 now. Still rides it but we added taller bars.

|

4 Pegs Or No Pegs

11/5/2013 10:29 PM

That bike is great man and I wish my son had one. I bought a 18" Haro freestlye bike last spring and should have gotten him something lighter because the thing is a tank! At least he doesn't know any better and I guess we all rode tanks back in the day so maybe it'll build him some appreciation once he gets his next bike...IDK! Most importantly though, he's having fun.

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

11/8/2013 6:43 AM

Thanks very much for all your replys guys youve put my mind at rest think ive made the correct choice the bike arrived 2 days ago it looks great in glad i didnt buy the 20 inch . Thanks much paul

|

11/8/2013 6:49 AM

bennylad wrote:

Thanks very much for all your replys guys youve put my mind at rest think ive made the correct choice the bike arrived 2 days ago it looks great in glad i didnt buy the 20 inch . Thanks much paul

Glad we could help!

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/8/2013 12:14 PM

"How is he supposed to do endos"

I have a new signature. That is hilarious

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

11/8/2013 1:03 PM

Well glad to give you a giggle but seriously how do they do them lol or is it not a done thing anymore

|

11/8/2013 1:40 PM

|

11/8/2013 1:42 PM

bennylad wrote:

Well glad to give you a giggle but seriously how do they do them lol or is it not a done thing anymore

Stick your foot in the front tire i.e. footjam

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars