Related:
Create New Tag
livin2sk805 livin2sk805
3/23/2007 8:23 AM

Hey. Im new to bmxing. Ive had a bike for awhile but am now really getting into riding. I have a 06 gt zone. its a good bike but its got a rather small frame and i want to either get a new bike or frame. I come here for suggestions on a frame or bike. Im not looking to spend more then 350 for a bike and less then 200 for a frame. If you suggest a frame it needs to fit the parts on the zone. Im really into getting a frame. So thanx for any help.

Scott

karsk karsk
3/23/2007 8:55 AM

I suggest check out http://www.danscomp.com/ first. Get an idea of what frames/bikes you can get for your money. Most people will tell you it's just a matter of opinion. Check back through the old posts, many people have asked about bikes and frames.

Decide what size TT (top tube) you want, as you say your current one is too small. Go to a local shop and try out a few bikes, see what you like.

I'm not ignorant, I'm just working on my senelity.

livin2sk805 livin2sk805
3/23/2007 9:18 AM
karsk wrote:

I suggest check out ...more

i dont really have a good local shop. Theres a profromance bicycle, they dont do much in the way of bmx, just carry bikes, and a agees which dosent have a huge selection. I really just want a frame that all the parts on the zone can go onto

karsk karsk
3/23/2007 10:17 AM
karsk wrote:

livin2sk805 wrote:

i dont really have a good ...more

Well check out Dan's comp. Get a feel for what you like as far as looks, what each frame has, etc.

I personally am a fan of WTP, Stolen, and Macneil. But some of those may be out of your price range.

What size is the TT on your Zone? Most (if not all) of your parts should swap to a new frame easily.

That said, you do need to check a few things:

-do you want gyro? or what type of brake set up are you wanting to run?
-axle size, do you need 3/8s or 14mm axles?
-BB size, is it American, Euro, Spanish, Midsize...?
-make sure that your gear ratio will fit the frame you are looking at (it should, but make sure)
-is the headset integrated?

Find a website, or if you have the info on your bike already, compare it with some frames you are interested in. But you will need the measurements and basic info to know if the swap is compatible.

Hope that helps.

jeffgothro jeffgothro
3/23/2007 10:25 AM
karsk wrote:

livin2sk805 wrote:

livin2sk805 wrote:
i dont really have a good local shop. Theres a profromance bicycle, they dont do much in the way of bmx, just carry bikes, and a agees which dosent have a huge selection. I really just want a frame that all the parts on the zone can go onto

Where are you from, what state? I have a performance bike shop where I live to (among other shops in my city) and yeah, performance mostly caters to the Mt bike / road bike croud.

Um, this may be a bit biased but the frame to get is a Standard, however its WAY out of your price range unless you hit ebay.

Dans has last years Sunday for 220.00 I think, Its slightly more then you want to spend but its a damn nice frame IMO. I might even buy one if I wasnt so hung up on Standards.

SBCdestroy

village idiot

jeffgothro jeffgothro
3/23/2007 10:34 AM
karsk wrote:

livin2sk805 wrote:

jeffgothro wrote: livin2sk805 wrote:
i dont ...more

This bike is SICK for 300.00, a new frame like this one normally retails for 400.00.

Jump on it NOW before its gone!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Standard-STA-Frame-Cutom-Built-BMX-Freestyle-Bike_W0QQitemZ140098074744QQcategoryZ98082QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post edited by: jeffgothro, at: 3/23/2007 5:41 PM

SBCdestroy

village idiot

livin2sk805 livin2sk805
3/23/2007 11:41 AM
livin2sk805 wrote:

i dont ...more
jeffgothro wrote:

This bike is SICK for ...more

I want to run a full brake set up with gyro.

As for axles I have the bigger ones. 3/4s i belive.
The headset is not intergreated, like the fork in all comes off and the headset is one peice.
The top tube is 18.5"

Heres the zone I have. I dont see on there the bearings.
http://www.gtbicycles.com/freestyle/catalog/detail.php?id=2016&country=usa&brand=free

I live in richmond va. There arnt any really good bike shops around here. The only one I havent check is rowletts. They look pretty good online but i havent been there.

Post edited by: livin2sk805, at: 3/23/2007 6:45 PM

jeffgothro jeffgothro
3/23/2007 12:21 PM
i dont ...more
jeffgothro wrote:

livin2sk805 wrote:

I want to run a full brake ...more

livin2sk805 wrote:
I want to run a full brake set up with gyro.

As for axles I have the bigger ones. 3/4s i belive.
The headset is not intergreated, like the fork in all comes off and the headset is one peice.
The top tube is 18.5"

Heres the zone I have. I dont see on there the bearings.
http://www.gtbicycles.com/freestyle/catalog/detail.php?id=2016&country=usa&brand=free

I live in richmond va. There arnt any really good bike shops around here. The only one I havent check is rowletts. They look pretty good online but i havent been there.<br><br>Post edited by: livin2sk805, at: 3/23/2007 6:45 PM

You have 14mm axles assuming the bike you posted is the same as yours.

You want a full brake set-up, the bike you posted has that, so I dont understand your statement. Did you buy your bike used and it has some of or all of the brake parts removed?

SBCdestroy

village idiot

karsk karsk
3/23/2007 12:43 PM
jeffgothro wrote:

livin2sk805 wrote:

I want ...more

When you visit the shops, find out what distributors they use. They might be able to order a frame for you (as is the case with my local shop).

So if you want to run full brakes on your new frame, you will want something that is capable to do so. You want it to have brake mounts in the back, and for it to have removeable or permanent gyro tabs.

Your axles from your GT are 14mm. So you will need a frame that has 14mm drop outs.

The top tube on your Zone is only 18.5. I recommend jumping up to a 20 inch (pretty much standard anywhere from 20-21 inches) You may have to get longer brake cables.

Your cranks are shorter than normal on the zone bike, you may want to look into getting a new crank set.

The Zone doesn't indicate BB size... Maybe look for a frame that includes the BB, or buy one once you decide on what frame you want.

(I am currently avoiding working on a final term paper on the patron saint, St. Sebastian... so I will find some example frames for you on Dan's comp and post them...!)

Post edited by: karsk, at: 3/23/2007 7:44 PM

Post edited by: karsk, at: 3/23/2007 7:54 PM

karsk karsk
3/23/2007 12:52 PM
livin2sk805 wrote:

I want ...more
karsk wrote:

When you visit the shops, ...more

Something like this Eastern Dragon frame would be right up your alley...
http://www.danscomp.com/211362.php?cat=FRAMESFSD

Actually, this one may be even more perfect... integrated headset (a plus) and it's even included... and less then your price range
http://www.danscomp.com/211214.php?cat=FRAMESFSD

or this one:
http://www.danscomp.com/211215.php?cat=FRAMESFSD

Anyways... those should get you started.

joltman900 joltman900
6/5/2015 12:46 PM

I'm new to bmx to

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry

See All Deals ยป

THE SHOP