2007 Gt Fly Bike upgrades?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/13/2015 1:10 AM

long story short i broke my leg in 1995 doing backflips on a flatland bike posted below lol Photo

Now i want to buy a bmx bike but not break the bank willing to go used if i see something. but i don't know where to start in pricing really all i want to do is use it to get aroudn town with maybe doing some bunny hops and flatland stuff MAYBE. i really didn't wanna break the bank and spend 200+ usd dollars

i am 5 10 and 170 pounds i do know that i want something 20 to 21 in the top tube want something sealed in the back or what ever incase something breaks?

i really don't wanna spend a whole lot on a bike that im going to cruise on for 3-4 miles a day any advice help what i should look at keep an eye out for on craigslist

|

8/13/2015 3:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2015 3:16 AM

|

8/13/2015 3:48 AM

|

8/13/2015 10:35 AM

what brands do i want to avoid then ? gt haro mongoose diamond back?

what brands do i want. i am willing to save up to 250 if i have to wait for something second hand to pop up on craigslist

i really don't think i'll even do much bunny hopping or learning i really just want something to ride around on

|

8/13/2015 10:54 AM

|

8/13/2015 11:00 AM

yeah it looks fine to me

|

8/13/2015 11:05 AM

so what brands do i want to avoid? like i said i plan on really just riding wont be jumping stair cases or learning many tricks i might learn to bunny hop do some 180s and tire grabs but i highly doubt i'll even do that?

|

8/13/2015 11:38 AM

Wants to avoid GT and haro , I can't take this thread seriously

|

8/13/2015 11:58 AM

I'd recommend avoiding Stolen parts at all costs. As in Stolen Bike Company, not bike parts that have been taken from someone else.

Amber front hubs and forks are awful as well.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

8/13/2015 12:15 PM

Just wait and try and find a relatively new bike that is as stock as possible.

If you don't know exactly what to look for, your best bet is to find a complete from someone who just bought it, and never really got in to riding and is deciding to sell it.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

8/13/2015 12:26 PM

As long as it isn't a cheap walgoose or something pieced together with crap parts. Some brands to look at would be fit, sunday, kink, stranger, united,haro (the newer ones), mongoose still makes good bikes but they don't really sell in the Us market anymore due to getting a bad name with walmart, cult and premium are good just get alot of hate

|

8/13/2015 1:42 PM

Don't listen to this guy are evil and devils people Exorcist edevil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil devil

|

8/13/2015 2:13 PM

what about this i can go nab it up for 50 bucks and its down the street

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/5162996877.html

i only say i want to avoid haro and gt or what ever because i've had friends tell me in the past to avoid them.

i really don't wanna drop 300 bucks on a new bike let alone a used one like i said i just want to ride probally wont do any hops or anything crazy

|

8/13/2015 2:20 PM

another guy said he'd take 90 http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/5166709505.html

|

8/13/2015 4:03 PM

dtgodmage wrote:

what brands do i want to avoid then ? gt haro mongoose diamond back?

what brands do i want. i am willing to save up to 250 if ...more

Just from personal experience, Id avoid a Mongoose. They tend to run a bit heavier so you cant do very many tricks or ride fast. That was just my old mongoose though. Experts proove me wrong

|

8/13/2015 6:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2015 6:56 PM

that bike looks STOLEN AF LMAO
get that or the fit.

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

8/14/2015 2:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/14/2015 2:04 PM

i decided to get the 2007 gt fly bike. as i said i'm only going to ride it not really do any tricks or start that life style its bascially just to get places faster and for 60 bucks i can't pass that up

but is the bracket and hubs sealed on it or should i go ahead and upgrade those when i get it?

the one im going to get http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/5162996877.html

|

8/14/2015 3:34 PM

dtgodmage wrote:

i decided to get the 2007 gt fly bike. as i said i'm only going to ride it not really do any tricks or start that life style ...more

I don't think that's worth $60.... The fit ( i think thats a 2012 Fit Eddie) is a good deal. full chromo frame, decent stuff sealed bearings, double walled rims.
also, that GT, has a big sprocket, low bars. might not be comfortable for you.

|

please embed videos

My art c:

[b]

8/14/2015 3:54 PM

yeah the only person to really talk to me is the guy with the gt fly everyone else has sold or said they want more money then what the add says. so yeah.... either i save wait another month to get something for 250 - 350 or i buy something now that i can ride and stop walking 12 miles every other day

my legs are getting really sore of it.

can you guys show me some decent buys with all the bells and whistles i should want i am 5'10 and i went to this bike shop and the guy was like your pretty tall 5 10 5 11 you might what they call an xl bike 21 inch but i think anything 20.5 to 21 would do

so i want something chomroly as possible with sealed bracket and hubs? i can upgrade to those later tho if i wanted right?

i don't think i will be doing many bunny hops nor jumping off stuf or tricks at all i just want to ride and i want something fast i used to race bmx in the past. i'm not ruling out learning at some point but i just can't seem to justify 300 bucks on bike im going to ride to and from work every other day

|

8/14/2015 4:41 PM

Since you're not gonna tear the bike up, get the GT. It should be ok. sideways

|

please embed videos

My art c:

[b]

8/14/2015 6:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/14/2015 6:35 PM

GT should be good for just getting around

|

Money can't buy you happiness but money can buy you a bike and that's pretty much the same thing.

8/15/2015 9:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2015 9:23 AM

avoid getting gt, dk, mongoose, kink, try to get cult, fit, sunday, subrosa, I would try n get a bike with a small sprocket

|

8/15/2015 6:05 PM

swegger wrote:

avoid getting gt, dk, mongoose, kink, try to get cult, fit, sunday, subrosa, I would try n get a bike with a small sprocket

cross DK off dat list.
a 25t sprocket wont make a bike worth it.

|

please embed videos

My art c:

[b]

8/15/2015 6:23 PM

dk is walmart bro

|

8/15/2015 9:47 PM

swegger wrote:

Do your homework before blindly saying to avoid those brands.

Kink bikes are good, Mongoose & DK (Yes, Wal-Mart brands) have good bikes, for instance the Mongoose Mode 900 is $200 and features a full chromoly frame & double wall rims, something other brands don't give you until you reach the $400+ range. And while I'm not too sure about GT myself, I know they are making a comeback.

|

8/16/2015 8:36 AM

mongooses weigh a ton

|

8/16/2015 8:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2015 8:57 AM

swegger wrote:

mongooses weigh a ton

Not all mongooses weigh 50 pounds. If they wouldn't have put cheap bikes in walmart they would still have a good market in the US but walmart killed them and they know it. But yea the mongoose mode 900 is full chromo and $200 bucks and weighs like 25-28 pounds so not heavy and they also have the mongoose chamber on there website $224 and it would be one of the best deals you can find for the price. http://www.mongoose.com/usa/chamber-19427

|

8/16/2015 9:26 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Do your homework before blindly saying to avoid those brands.

Kink bikes are good, Mongoose & DK (Yes, Wal-Mart brands) ...more

well do u wanna buy something to last u or something that will break 2 weeks after buying

|

8/16/2015 11:21 AM

so i ended up buying the 07 gt fly bike rides smooth the tire isn't sealed right probally needs new tubes think they used slim in it. but theres no rust cracks or anything anywhere bad i had local guy check out the bike and he said for 50 60 bucks and what i needed wasn't a bad deal

i kind of wonder what ugprades i could do to it tho you guys said it has a big sprocket so i wonder what kind of upgrade i could do to it or find out whats sealed or what ever.

like i said i am not dirt jumping going to a park or even bunny hopping i might go over a few stairs but nothing major its really just to get from point a to point b faster then walking can

|

8/16/2015 12:02 PM

dtgodmage wrote:

so i ended up buying the 07 gt fly bike rides smooth the tire isn't sealed right probally needs new tubes think they used slim ...more

LOL @ ^this

States: he's not going to be doing anything serious. Buys cheapest bike he coulds possibly find.

THEN

Starts thinking about upgrading components already.

I officially welcome you to the blackhole of money that is BMX repairs.

buying a recent, nice used for $300 probably would of been cheaper.

|