newbie tire advice...

Related:
Create New Tag

1/19/2018 5:13 PM

I looked into quite a few of the hundreds of tire threads but figured I'd ask again...sorry. I'm new to the 20" scene after a loooong ass time. I'm just learning the basics again.
I bought a lightly used 16 Fit Dugan Sig with red/blk T/A tires. I went to Ray's MTB park for the first time this week. 30 min in the front end washed out and I went down. They were sketchy a few times after that and for 2 days that was in the back of my head.
I will be riding at Ray's, outdoor parks, and the street come spring. Tire wear isn't an issue. I'm looking at the GLHs which everybody seems to like. Thoughts/suggestions?

|

1/19/2018 5:24 PM

I suggest BSD Donnasqueaks because..

- They are grippy on all terrains
- Durable (lasts me 1+ year of concrete riding and constant grinding)
- They are lighter than most comparable tires without sacrificing durability
- The 2.25s are narrower than most modern 2.25 tires, so they roll fast and smooth instead of slow and sluggish
- They are larger in diameter than most tires of the same size, so they absorb impact like champs
- They come in just about any color you could want!
- They come in a slick "street" version if that's your preference

Animal tires are awesome too, but after a few years on Donnasqueaks, I can't see myself ever riding a different tire. They are just plain perfect!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/19/2018 5:38 PM

Curt D wrote:

I looked into quite a few of the hundreds of tire threads but figured I'd ask again...sorry. I'm new to the 20" scene after a ...more

Yea TAs and donnasqueks are not what you want for outdoor riding. Look for kenda K-rads, maxis holy rollers, fit FAFs, s and m mainlines, tioga comp 3s, etc, you will probably need to find a nice trail/ street tire and a TA is def a park tire... I keep a set of street tires and dirt tires and switch em out.

|

1/19/2018 5:42 PM

Curt D wrote:

I looked into quite a few of the hundreds of tire threads but figured I'd ask again...sorry. I'm new to the 20" scene after a ...more

BcBMX80 wrote:

Yea TAs and donnasqueks are not what you want for outdoor riding. Look for kenda K-rads, maxis holy rollers, fit FAFs, s and m ...more

Donnasqueaks are far different from DonnaSTREETS.

The Donnasqueaks are perfect for out door riding. Really similar tread to the FAF 2.25s, which is probably why I like them so much.

I've rode Squeaks on everything from wood, to slick concrete, to asphalt, to dirt & they have gripped flawlessly every step of the way.

They got a smooth center tread that lets them roll smoothly, and aggressive side treads that keeps them locked onto whatever surface you may be riding.
Photo

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/19/2018 5:59 PM

Yep like Tim said, can't go wrong with DonnaSQUEAKS. I've had them for a couple months and they really do grip on everything and I'm sure I'll be riding them till the end of this year, they reallyare holding up great! 100% recommend!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/19/2018 6:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 6:03 PM

Oh those do sorta resemble a FAF ok Yea those will work. I run FAFs lol 2.25 is a fantastic tire.

|

1/19/2018 6:05 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Oh those do sorta resemble a FAF ok Yea those will work. I run FAFs lol 2.25 is a fantastic tire.

Yeah the 2.25 Fit FAF is the good one... the 2.25 Fit FAF or the BSD DonnaSQUEAKS, are both great tire choices....

|

1/19/2018 6:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 6:13 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

I ran those for practically my entire riding career up until they discontinued the folding versions. 2.25 FAF-Ks were the single best tire ever made imo.

In fact, the only reason I ever decided to try Donnasqueaks was because they're significantly lighter than wire-bead FAF 2.25s and look practically the same tread-wise.

Compared to FAF 2.25s, they roll a little smoother because of the center tread, but grip identically. Heavier than FAF-Ks but a whole lot lighter than wire-bead FAFs. Just as puncture proof too & last just as long.

FAF 2.25s and Donnasqueaks are the best all terrain tires on the market as far as I'm concerned.

|

1/19/2018 6:14 PM

cool ill buy a pair after these eat it....

|

1/19/2018 6:18 PM

Donnasqueeks are great, from what I've heard, but I don't think they would be the best for your situation. Animal glh is a great tire, I'm actually riding one right now. They are heavy though. I'd call them a street tire, but yesterday's street tire, is today's dirt tire lol. On my other bike I'm riding Maxxis rizers, which are really the best all around tire I've ever ridden. The grip on everything very well, and I think would be perfect for your riding style. Maxxis grifters are supposed to be really good too, but I think the rizer is a little better for dirt.

|

1/19/2018 6:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 6:26 PM

Hers a pic of the rizer. Not sure why they aren't more popular. I guess because of the slick fad going on, but you definitely want to stay away from those. Can't go wrong with any Maxxis. You might be able to find them on sale still, on eBay. I got mine for $20 each, that's about half price btw. Maxxis is not cheap.
Photo

|

1/19/2018 6:25 PM

& dont get me wrong, theres lots of other super good tires on the market. I just find that most of them are either unnecessarily heavy, unnecessarily big, or unnecessarily rough-treaded.

BSD did a truly amazing job of providing a light-weight, impact absorbing, smooth rolling, & durable all terrain tire. It even comes in a normal tire size, unlike most, but also has a 2.4 option for those that like blimp tires.

|

1/19/2018 6:42 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yep like Tim said, can't go wrong with DonnaSQUEAKS. I've had them for a couple months and they really do grip on everything ...more

You're starting to sound like someone like this douche who's been Hawking the Eastern shovelhead with your Donnasqueaks!

|

1/19/2018 7:30 PM

I definitely second Maxxis. Currently on the Ringworms which grip like a dream. Before these, I was on Hookworms for a year without issue.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

1/19/2018 7:41 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yep like Tim said, can't go wrong with DonnaSQUEAKS. I've had them for a couple months and they really do grip on everything ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

You're starting to sound like someone like this douche who's been Hawking the Eastern shovelhead with your Donnasqueaks!

Lol you're right!grin

|

1/19/2018 7:41 PM

I'll go ahead and second Maxxis aswell.. I mean after all, they're Maxxis. If you're looking to spend the extra money, they offer some damn good tires for everything & anything that has tires on it. You simply can't go wrong with Maxxis.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Rizers are their "street" tire, though the tread looks amazing for any kind of riding. I've always wanted a pair, but have really been enjoying my colored BSDs these past few years. Next build I do with black tires will have Rizers on it for sure.

|

1/19/2018 7:58 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

laughing laughing
|

1/19/2018 8:42 PM

I have the fly rampera tires and love em. Street dirt park it doesn't matter they work well. I'm going to try something different soon but I really don't know if I'll regret switching or not. Thinking about maxis, khe, or tioga not sure yet

|

@coupd_tat

1/19/2018 8:51 PM

I’ve had TA tires and they were great . They were probably new still and had that waxy cover from the mold still . But ya those BSD tires are solid everyone in Vancouver ( literally ) has had them at one point . I’ve had them on my spare and they were sweet .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/19/2018 9:37 PM

FAF 2.25 for comparison...
Photo

|

1/20/2018 3:11 AM

Yeah I think about tyres a lot... I said I was gonna get Maxxis torch but now I'm leaning towards a pair of folding street blocks. I'll probably change my mind a couple more times before I eventually buy some

|

Hmmm

1/20/2018 5:15 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Yeah I think about tyres a lot... I said I was gonna get Maxxis torch but now I'm leaning towards a pair of folding street ...more

I've had the street blocks. Those are a pretty good all around tire too. Same tread as powerblocks, but knurled. Still like Maxxis better though. Seems like they have a grippier rubber compound.

|

1/20/2018 5:24 AM

Another fan of 2.25 fit faf's here. I won't run another tyre as long as these are on the market

|

1/20/2018 5:49 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Yeah I think about tyres a lot... I said I was gonna get Maxxis torch but now I'm leaning towards a pair of folding street ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

I've had the street blocks. Those are a pretty good all around tire too. Same tread as powerblocks, but knurled. Still like ...more

I would get powerblocks but the street blocks have a stronger side wall

|

Hmmm

1/20/2018 6:39 AM

Edman123 wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

I've had the street blocks. Those are a pretty good all around tire too. Same tread as powerblocks, but knurled. Still like ...more

Edman123 wrote:

Streetblocks aren't much better. I ripped the sidewall on a powerblock in one ride, and another pegless rider I know ripped the sidewall on a streetblock within weeks (no grinding!)

|

1/20/2018 6:44 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Streetblocks aren't much better. I ripped the sidewall on a powerblock in one ride, and another pegless rider I know ripped ...more

Ive heard poor things about Tiogas for street use as well, even the street models. They're paper thin, so they rip apart pretty easy on concrete. My friends Street Blocks only lasted him a few months, and that was when we were 14/15 and didn't do anything serious.

Otherwise they're great, light-weight park/dirt tires.

|

1/20/2018 6:50 AM

Edman123 wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Streetblocks aren't much better. I ripped the sidewall on a powerblock in one ride, and another pegless rider I know ripped ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Ive heard poor things about Tiogas for street use as well, even the street models. They're paper thin, so they rip apart ...more

Hmm Im not very heavy on wheels or tyres, a foldable Grifter has lasted me almost a year now and it's still going strong. I ride about an equal amount of park and street. But Im not hard on street. You are making me reconsider tyre choice.

|

Hmmm

1/20/2018 6:59 AM

Its kind of scary how thin those Streetblocks are. I tore a sidewall but that's more because I'm a shit rider. If OP isn't doing much grinding they should be quite alright.

That being said, I''ve been riding Animal tires for years and barely ever wash out. I love my GLH's

Maxxis Holy Rollers are excessive for modern dirt jumps which are more hard packed and are awful for anything other than loose dirt.

|

1/20/2018 7:06 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Its kind of scary how thin those Streetblocks are. I tore a sidewall but that's more because I'm a shit rider. If OP isn't ...more

I grind a lot but my tire sidewalls show hardly any wear and I have ran the back tyre for almost 10 months now.
I personally wouldn't run animal tyres because I hate the feeling of heavy wheels.
I might have a look around for some lightweight tyres that are more heavy duty or look for some more reviews and see if they would hold up well enough.

|

Hmmm

1/20/2018 7:14 AM

So...I guess I’m looking at the 2.25 Donnasqueaks or trying the Maxxis Grifter 2.3s. I wasn’t looking at weight but I would shave off over a 1/2 lb. shocked

|