normal noise or not

Related:
Create New Tag

4/9/2018 5:07 PM

so I recently got back after close to 30 years.. and got a 2018 GT pro performer
there was a clunking noise coming when pedaling, mainly with cranks under torque.. not with every rotation but every few crank rotations

Since I got the bike from lbs, I went back and they kept it for a while and warrantied the rear wheel under the idea the freewheel was making the noise, they got a new wheel from GT but they couldn't put it on as they discovered the chain was too tight and impossible to remove and put it back on.. so then lbs also warrantied a new chain and after close to two weeks got the bike back with new chain and new rear wheel

main issue is the noise is still there.. pretty much same as before, it is a clunking noise mostly when under load / tonguing the cranks..

side note bike feels little faster with new chain.. also new rear wheel had rather uneven sims on the rim and was making this thump thump noise when applying brake (lbs sanded/smoothed out the sims but that took off the black color of the rim at the sims and now sims shows silver..)

any ideas about the noise? is this normal? should there by any noises at all?

|

4/9/2018 5:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2018 5:57 PM

It's a new bike. It's the chain wearing in. Bike shop should know this. So the bike shop sanded the seam flush and left a silver patch on your rim? What a shit bike shop. Hope it wasn't SC Action Sports. LOL

|

4/9/2018 7:14 PM

Could easily be that the chain isn't completely in line with the driver, it's very common, check your alignment and if it is out adjust to as close as possible and then try it out, usually fixes that clunking noise.

|

4/9/2018 7:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2018 7:25 PM

I'd check your crank spindle bolts... The only time my bike makes a similar noise is when my spindle bolts aren't tight af.

My Primo Powerbite cranks are also very similar to your GT Power Series Alloy cranks.

1. First loosen the two pinch bolts little-by-little (evenly) on your crank arm until loose (both sides)

2. Tighten your spindle bolts little-by-little (evenly) on both sides (I do it as tight as I can with one hand, but be careful not to strip the spindle bolt).

3. Tighten the two pinch bolts on your crank arm evenly until tight (both sides)

If you aren't comfortable with doing this, or you don't want to potentially void the warranty, have your LBS do it and see if it works.

I usually have to do this once every month, or two depending on how much I ride, but it eliminates the noise every time.

|

4/9/2018 10:33 PM

Could be the chain wearing in. Could be that they didn't pdi the bike properly. Might be worth taking the cranks off, greasing everything, then putting them back on. Could also be the stem/bars, as sometimes they'll creak a little under load, and the sound will resonate through the frame.

If the old chain was too tight on the new wheel, and now the bike feels faster, sounds like they got a different sized driver, it had a 9t originally. With a 25t sprocket that's 55.5 gear inches, similar to the old 44 16 (55 gear inches). A bigger driver will give quicker acceleration but slower top end.
If the seam on the rim is that bad it needed sanding down, I wouldn't want it on my bike. Sounds like a complete bodge to me.

|

4/9/2018 10:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2018 10:45 PM

I just double checked, they had to sand the rim ? Dude that is sketchy AF, might be a BS excuse as in its second hand ?

Edit: Or defected ?

Me I would tell them to take it back until it comes right. That's not cool.

|

4/10/2018 6:51 AM

back to the future wrote:

so I recently got back after close to 30 years.. and got a 2018 GT pro performer
there was a clunking noise coming when ...more

I've struggled with this for a while, on several hubs and I've pinpointed two things:

1. Crank spindle bolts are loosening, causing a "buck/clunk/thick sounding click" when torquing or the instant you let off of torquing.

2. Freecoaster driver is "sticking" causing a momentary gap in forward motion while it goes from engaged to disengaged.

As far as the first problem goes? Well...thats easy. Dab of loctite and crank those suckers down. I run Profile Elite cranks with a Ti spindle, so I don't mind giving them hell when tightening them.

Now, for the second problem? I haven't really found much of a solution. I think it's something that has worn away with time and wear, but I also thinking disassembling the coaster and re-greasing everything should help.

I will say, if something like a hub/chain/driver/sprocket/crank is new, it'll take some time to wear in.

But the rear wheel sounds a little funky. It's possible that if it was trued or built poorly, it's putting lateral stress on your driver and chain which is no good. I would maybe take the wheel to another shop and ask them to take a look at it. The problem with going back to the same shop over and over is, they're probably charging you.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/10/2018 8:33 AM

jbales wrote:

It's a new bike. It's the chain wearing in. Bike shop should know this. So the bike shop sanded the seam flush and left a ...more

hope it is just the chain wearing in.. hope weather permitting I get to ride later today see how it goes..
yeah not too happy with the silver patch around the seams.. well bike will get some marks and scuffs over time so trying not to think too much about it..

|

4/10/2018 9:14 AM

No chain is impossible to remove and put back on. If your chain is THAT tight, and you can't slam it forward, you take the crank arm off that has the sprocket attached, then slide out the spindle. Any bike shop with common sense should know that. My bike makes the noise you're talking about and it's probably the bearings making that noise. Your cranks are probably way too tight so you need to loosen them just a TINY bit. If they still make noise, then the bearings probably have a rough spot from cranks being too tight, if this fails, then here's gonna be the hard part. Your chain line is far off, and you probably can't fix this without getting a smaller sprocket. It could possibly be something else I missed, but these are the only 3 things that have caused it for me. It could also be your chain just needing to stretch, so don't take anything I say seriously right off the bat. Just ride it a lot and it'll probably stop making the noise due to chain stretch.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/10/2018 9:48 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

I'd check your crank spindle bolts... The only time my bike makes a similar noise is when my spindle bolts aren't tight af.

...more

was also thinking cranks/bolts... supposedly lbs did that..

|

4/10/2018 9:54 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

No chain is impossible to remove and put back on. If your chain is THAT tight, and you can't slam it forward, you take the ...more

Tight cranks shouldn't make a difference if the BB was installed with a tube spacer.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/10/2018 9:57 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

No chain is impossible to remove and put back on. If your chain is THAT tight, and you can't slam it forward, you take the ...more

guess will be riding like a mad man later! hope that chain stretches!

|

4/10/2018 10:02 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Tight cranks shouldn't make a difference if the BB was installed with a tube spacer.

It does sometimes, such as when the spacer is slightly too small (quality control's fault), even a mm of space can do some serious damage to your bearings. I've had high end completes that were shipped with spacers that are too small.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/25/2018 11:40 AM

Quick update, lbs said they are working with GT to get a replacement bike, some sort of defect with/around bottom bracket.. didnt question much as the replacement might be the best option.. Crazy?!

|

4/25/2018 1:56 PM

Quick update, lbs said they are working with GT to get a replacement bike, some sort of defect with/around bottom bracket.. ...more

I reckon they're just saying that to save face. A bike can't feel faster by replacing the wheel unless it has a different size driver. Which would also explain why the chain was too tight on the new wheel.
Sounds like they don't have a clue what they're doing :/

|

4/25/2018 2:02 PM

Quick update, lbs said they are working with GT to get a replacement bike, some sort of defect with/around bottom bracket.. ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

I reckon they're just saying that to save face. A bike can't feel faster by replacing the wheel unless it has a different size ...more

Yeah this sounds a little weird. Reading back up the thread, they warrantied the back wheel, the chain, and now the entire bike?

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/25/2018 2:52 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I reckon they're just saying that to save face. A bike can't feel faster by replacing the wheel unless it has a different size ...more

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Yeah this sounds a little weird. Reading back up the thread, they warrantied the back wheel, the chain, and now the entire ...more

That's sketchy indeed hopefully the replacement bike is better also I wouldn't got back to that shop if I were you just my opinion but from what you told me it doesn't sound like a place of solid service

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip