odyssey calibur cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

2/8/2018 1:28 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Is your bolt bottoming out? Could it possibly be a bit too long and thats why youre having to tighten them so much to get them to not wobble?

Edman123 wrote:

Stop asking these questions he said he has looked at the cranks in every possible configuration. Just accept that these cranks have flaws too.

Bulletpup wrote:

Are you taking personal offense to me trying to help someone? All things in life have flaws, i am well aware. 12thou know when you are looking for your keys and they are in your pocket...sometimes the simple things are the hardest to see at times. This is probably not the case but I figure its best to see if he has checked rather than let it go by possibly unnoticed.

Sorry I'm not sure why I responded like that. It just seemed to me like you couldn't possibly believe there was a wobble and that there must be some sort of user error and it annoyed me a bit.

|

Hmmm

2/8/2018 2:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/8/2018 2:37 PM

Edman123 wrote:

Stop asking these questions he said he has looked at the cranks in every possible configuration. Just accept that these cranks have flaws too.

Bulletpup wrote:

Are you taking personal offense to me trying to help someone? All things in life have flaws, i am well aware. 12thou know when you are looking for your keys and they are in your pocket...sometimes the simple things are the hardest to see at times. This is probably not the case but I figure its best to see if he has checked rather than let it go by possibly unnoticed.

Edman123 wrote:

Sorry I'm not sure why I responded like that. It just seemed to me like you couldn't possibly believe there was a wobble and that there must be some sort of user error and it annoyed me a bit.

User error is always a possibility but I wasnt saying those things to cause trouble, just sincerely want to help.

This is one of these forums biggest flaws, text alone does not always convey the whole message as its intended, unfortunately.

smile

|

2/9/2018 5:19 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Do you run them with spacers covering up the portion of the axle that is not milled out to accommodate the wedge cluster? I found that the aluminum covers crush a little bit and allow the arm and wedge cluster to deform a bit. If you are using the odyssey bb kit. Make sure there is a dmall steel washer in between the wedge cluster and the aluminum cone spacer.

dave lawrence wrote:

Yep. I've reconfigured and fidgeted with everything, and without making them basically welded on tight, they have a little play.

I get the idea on the wedge system, but I will be going back to 48 spline to avoid the extra pieces to worry about come when I have spare $ for new cranks. I've never had issues I recall aside from a bolt slipping loose once in a while, which also has happened on the Twombolts before I cranked super hard on the bolt. Not a bad crank setup, but not my cup of tea.

It is what it is at this point. Just means I will get some fresh cranks and likely a fresh BB soonish.

Bulletpup wrote:

Is your bolt bottoming out? Could it possibly be a bit too long and thats why youre having to tighten them so much to get them to not wobble?

Nope, not bottoming out.

I'm not super worried, I can crank em down and have gotten used to it. I figure new crank day is coming, and since I work at a shop I can snag solid deals up.

Just need some cash. I have a swap meet in a week that should help me some.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/9/2018 10:48 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

If you are planning on doing serious riding there is not much point in running anything besides the thunderbolts imo.

Lifetime warranty, pretty lightweight, easy installation, never develops wobble, size options are decent. Look on ebay you can get them brand new for 120 new shipped. Lhd or rhd.

Hate to break it to you but the thunderbolts are NOT on the lightweight spectrum of BMX cranks. I own them and they are good but they weigh over 34oz. Odyssey was not forthright about the actual weight. The posted weight is without the wedge cluster or bolts. They’re good cranks, I’m not saying they aren’t. But they aren’t light. Not at all.

|

2/9/2018 11:03 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

If you are planning on doing serious riding there is not much point in running anything besides the thunderbolts imo.

Lifetime warranty, pretty lightweight, easy installation, never develops wobble, size options are decent. Look on ebay you can get them brand new for 120 new shipped. Lhd or rhd.

Sean_Goff wrote:

Hate to break it to you but the thunderbolts are NOT on the lightweight spectrum of BMX cranks. I own them and they are good but they weigh over 34oz. Odyssey was not forthright about the actual weight. The posted weight is without the wedge cluster or bolts. They’re good cranks, I’m not saying they aren’t. But they aren’t light. Not at all.

Oh shots fired , the odyssey fan boys are going to be pissed now

|

2/9/2018 12:45 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Sean_Goff wrote:

I did say "pretty lightweight" meaning, for what they are. They are well built and trustworthy. But thank you for bringing that to my attention.

|

2/9/2018 2:30 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Sean_Goff wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I did say "pretty lightweight" meaning, for what they are. They are well built and trustworthy. But thank you for bringing that to my attention.

They can't really give out a lifetime warranty on cranks that might snap, the extra weight is PROBABLY just insurance but I'm not sure.

|

Hmmm

2/9/2018 4:24 PM

eskimojay wrote:

oh, oh no, the weight is more than advertised, what ever will we Odyssey fan boys do

|

2/9/2018 7:07 PM

Sean_Goff wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

oh, oh no, the weight is more than advertised, what ever will we Odyssey fan boys do

I don't know about you guys but I'm going to go riot and loot a Starbucks.

|

2/9/2018 7:30 PM

Sean_Goff wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Maybe get mildly annoyed that they are not 100% as advertised and then go on with your day as normal.

|

Hmmm

2/9/2018 7:35 PM

eskimojay wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Maybe get mildly annoyed that they are not 100% as advertised and then go on with your day as normal.

Has anyone else actually weighed their cranks though? For all we know, the Industry Standard for weight could be just the arms and spindle, and all cranks may be heavier than advertised.

I've heard a lot of stories of parts weighing more than advertised, so I'm not really surprised. It is kinda shitty to advertise them as a certain weight if they're not, considering a lot of people do buy things based on weight.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/9/2018 7:41 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Has anyone else actually weighed their cranks though? For all we know, the Industry Standard for weight could be just the arms and spindle, and all cranks may be heavier than advertised.

I've heard a lot of stories of parts weighing more than advertised, so I'm not really surprised. It is kinda shitty to advertise them as a certain weight if they're not, considering a lot of people do buy things based on weight.

I think most parts are weighed before paint/powder coat so they come out a tiny bit heavier when coated

|

Hmmm

2/9/2018 7:41 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

That would stand to reason. I mean, a bb, is technically a different "part" than "cranks". Whatever.. I'm not that concerned with weight.

|

2/9/2018 7:44 PM

Edman123 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

That would stand to reason. I mean, a bb, is technically a different "part" than "cranks". Whatever.. I'm not that concerned with weight.

Who said anything about a bottom bracket?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

2/9/2018 7:47 PM

Edman123 wrote:

I think most parts are weighed before paint/powder coat so they come out a tiny bit heavier when coated

Idunno, I've heard of some pretty substantial weight differences. I don't recall what, but I remember parts being 5-10oz heavier than advertised. Part of it could be different websites advertising different weights, I've seen that too.

|

2/10/2018 4:24 PM

Edman123 wrote:

I’m still using mine without complaint don’t get me wrong. I am a weight wiener though and bought them over other cranks cuz I thought they would be the strongest of the other cranks in the 28oz class. You can imagine my disappointment to find out I was duped. I did get over it and don’t have a problem with it now but it was noticeably heavier than my profiles. I’m fine though. My Truat in them was hurt more than my muscles lol.

|

2/10/2018 4:29 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Yes. I’m a weight wiener and weigh everything I get especially if I get it because of its weight. What I’ve found is that a lot of parts Have substantially diffErent weights from what is posted on the manufacturers website... there really are 25oz cranks and 40oz ones.

|