odyssey evo 2.5 brake

Related:
Create New Tag

6/28/2018 1:38 PM

has anyone tried it out yet? cant find many reviews about it, my only concern is if they are flexy like springfields, i want them to be as stiff as possible

|

6/28/2018 1:46 PM

From what I’ve seen they are the same as a regular evo 2, save for wider clearance to fit larger tires
I’ve got evo 2s and my bike stops on a dime even with the regular black pads.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

6/28/2018 2:05 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

From what I’ve seen they are the same as a regular evo 2, save for wider clearance to fit larger tires

original evo 2s look a bit thicker imo

|

6/28/2018 2:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/28/2018 2:17 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

tiho wrote:

I've only ever run the Evo 2s, but I can say without a doubt the ONLY way they'd be loose or wobbly is if you didn't tighten the bolts down enough. They're a bit finicky, but once you have them dialed they're awesome.

So with that, Odyssey didn't really re-invent the wheel with the Evo 2.5. Basically they look slimmed down because they are. They've removed enough material from the arms to allow for the wider clearance, but less material doesn't necessarily mean less strength.

I plan on buying the 2.5s when I get new tires. I have literally zero reservations about them. Odyssey is well known for putting a lot of R&D into their products. I don't think the 2.5s will be an exception.

If you get them and decide you don't like them...I'll buy them off you.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

6/28/2018 11:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/28/2018 11:20 PM

I've been using the new Evo 2.5 for the last 3 months and it's easily the best u-brake I've used, so far. They lock up immediately and are extremely quite.

I actually think the arms on the Evo 2.5 are about the same width/ thickness as the Evo 2? The biggest difference is the bend on the Evo 2.5 isn't as extreme and the arms are longer, so binding doesn't occur on rear ends that are designed for 2.4"+ tires.

Here's how they look on my Tall Boy with a Mainline 2.1" tire (actual width is 2.24") and a completely slammed rear end:

I'm sure I could run a 2.5" tire with ease and that's slammed.

|

6/29/2018 4:56 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

tiho wrote:

They’re the same, though evos were definitely thicker than evo IIs, and not in a good way. Evo 2.5s are wider but the width of the material for each arm is the same. Honestly it’s a more practical buy than the 2 but it doesn’t look as good if you run a thinner tire.
Honestly the evo II is superior to the original evolver in both function and cosmetic, but they wouldn’t have made an evo II if it wasn’t needed.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

6/29/2018 11:06 AM

i have them and i cant seem to set em up correctly i pull the lever and they just stick theres no return

|

pew pew

6/29/2018 11:52 AM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

i have them and i cant seem to set em up correctly i pull the lever and they just stick theres no return

Do you have the springs on the correct side?

How did you adjust the preload on the springs?

It almost sounds like you tightened the springs in the opposite direction, or have them on the opposite sides.

|

6/29/2018 12:14 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Do you have the springs on the correct side?

How did you adjust the preload on the springs?

It almost sounds like you tightened the springs in the opposite direction, or have them on the opposite sides.

as you can see springs on correct side but i adjust the spring get it to where i like it, then pull brake lever and the brake pivot rotates with the cap and brakes just stick ive tried 6 diff times getting these shits set up ends up with me takin em off riding brakeless, i feel like 990s and tektros were way easier to set up then these. havin a session with the boys later and i wanna do some fufanus i cant figure this shit out

|

pew pew

6/29/2018 12:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2018 12:34 PM

Your black side looks like it's preloaded correctly, but your silver side looks like it has no preload.

You need to tighten towards the + until it matches your black side (green line):

The hardest/ longest part should be adjusting the correct toe on the pads. Installing the arms and setting preload should take 15mins max.

Also, what happens when you remove your straddle cable? Do both arms collapse into the tire and your pads push out from your rim?

|

6/29/2018 12:34 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Your black side looks like it's preloaded correctly, but your silver side looks like it has no preload.

You need to tighten towards the + until it matches your black side (green line):

The hardest/ longest part should be adjusting the correct toe on the pads. Installing the arms and setting preload should take 15mins max.

Also, what happens when you remove your straddle cable? Do both arms collapse into the tire and your pads push out from your rim?

that image was just to show the springs on correctly

|

pew pew

6/29/2018 12:41 PM

spring cap doesnt stay locked down and also everytime i grab the brake theres no return i have to manually move the levers

|

pew pew

6/29/2018 12:47 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

that image was just to show the springs on correctly

Word, so you have both of those spring caps adjusted like the green line and they still don't spring back?

Again, what happens when you remove your straddle cable? Do both arms collapse into the tire and your pads push out from your rim?

It should be just like this video (it will start at 9:32):

|

6/29/2018 12:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2018 1:00 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

spring cap doesnt stay locked down and also everytime i grab the brake theres no return i have to manually move the levers

Oh shit!!! Are you using the bolts that came with the brake?:

I think the ones that came with the brake are the wrong size/ length. You need to use the ones that came with the S&M brake mount kit:

If I remember correctly, the bolts that came with the Evo 2.5 brake aren't threaded long enough, or are too long, so that could be why your spring cap isn't staying tight.

|

6/29/2018 12:59 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

Oh shit!!! Are you using the bolts that came with the brake?:

I think the ones that came with the brake are the wrong size/ length. You need to use the ones that came with the S&M brake mount kit:

If I remember correctly, the bolts that came with the Evo 2.5 brake aren't threaded long enough, or are too long, so that could be why your spring cap isn't staying tight.

i have those s&m pivot bolts i ordered but i didnt order full kit so i dont have these

|

pew pew

6/29/2018 1:27 PM

Ya, you 100% need those 990 post and those flush mount bolts you crossed out.

I ordered a FIT brake kit take off from ebay, but it came with those capped bolts instead of the flush mount ones, so I had to order just the two bolts from FIT here.

If you already have those flush mount bolts, but need the 990 post this is where I got them from FIT 990 MOUNT.

If you don't have them both order the complete S&M/ FIT 990 brake mount kit.

Now just for clarity... You have #1, but not #2, correct?:

Again, you can't use the flush mount bolts that came with the Odyssey Evo 2.5 brake.

|

6/29/2018 1:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2018 1:57 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Ya, you 100% need those 990 post and those flush mount bolts you crossed out.

I ordered a FIT brake kit take off from ebay, but it came with those capped bolts instead of the flush mount ones, so I had to order just the two bolts from FIT here.

If you already have those flush mount bolts, but need the 990 post this is where I got them from FIT 990 MOUNT.

If you don't have them both order the complete S&M/ FIT 990 brake mount kit.

Now just for clarity... You have #1, but not #2, correct?:

Again, you can't use the flush mount bolts that came with the Odyssey Evo 2.5 brake.

good looks man yea i already have #1 but i need item #2 haha. i ordered the s&m flush bolts from empire to try and avoid ordering the entire kit but yea im so stoked to have brakes gunna order them today

|

pew pew

6/29/2018 2:10 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

good looks man yea i already have #1 but i need item #2 haha. i ordered the s&m flush bolts from empire to try and avoid ordering the entire kit but yea im so stoked to have brakes gunna order them today

No problem.

I'm sure once you get those 990 post you'll be g2g.

|

6/29/2018 2:12 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

No problem.

I'm sure once you get those 990 post you'll be g2g.

yea im up in the mountains so giant hills im tired of ruining my shoes and tires plus i love brake tricks. inb4 i put crumlish to shame on his game

|

pew pew

6/29/2018 2:22 PM

Brakes also bind up if the post is a touch short. If that's the case you'll notice they work perfectly until you tighten the mount bolt

|

6/29/2018 3:09 PM

shit, this is all i got.. i guess ill have to buy those 2 bolts too

|

6/29/2018 3:45 PM

Those cap head bolts are for spring caps with a flat recess like this:

Most modern spring caps are countersunk.

The spring cap bolts that come with the Evo 2/ 2.5 will work if you have welded on brake mounts though.

|

6/29/2018 4:39 PM

I run evo2.5 on my s&m btm using the s&m 990 kit. Solid as a rock. I only have 2.3 tires on the rear but plenty of clearance as you’d expect

|

If you build it, they will come

6/29/2018 5:54 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

I've been using the new Evo 2.5 for the last 3 months and it's easily the best u-brake I've used, so far. They lock up immediately and are extremely quite.

I actually think the arms on the Evo 2.5 are about the same width/ thickness as the Evo 2? The biggest difference is the bend on the Evo 2.5 isn't as extreme and the arms are longer, so binding doesn't occur on rear ends that are designed for 2.4"+ tires.

Here's how they look on my Tall Boy with a Mainline 2.1" tire (actual width is 2.24") and a completely slammed rear end:

I'm sure I could run a 2.5" tire with ease and that's slammed.

+1 like for Powerbites.

|

6/29/2018 7:07 PM

im running ruben 2.35's and clears the brakes with room to spare btw

|

pew pew

12/6/2018 11:12 AM

Has anyone had success running the Evo 2s with a 2.4 tire? I have Fit OEM 2.4's on my rig, and I am trying to determine whether i should go with the Evo 2's or 2.5's. Obviously the 2.5s have more clearance, but I have had more success finding the 2's on online retailer's sites.

|

12/6/2018 11:20 AM

Jawz13 wrote:

Has anyone had success running the Evo 2s with a 2.4 tire? I have Fit OEM 2.4's on my rig, and I am trying to determine whether i should go with the Evo 2's or 2.5's. Obviously the 2.5s have more clearance, but I have had more success finding the 2's on online retailer's sites.

I run evo 2's with 2.4 Donnastreets with no issues or rubbing.

I also have a 21.25 United mothership V4 frame. If the frame can clear the tires, more than likely the evo 2's will .

|

12/6/2018 11:21 AM

Jawz13 wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I run evo 2's with 2.4 Donnastreets with no issues or rubbing.

I also have a 21.25 United mothership V4 frame. If the frame can clear the tires, more than likely the evo 2's will .

Sweet! Thanks for the input.

|

12/6/2018 12:09 PM

Jawz13 wrote:

Sweet! Thanks for the input.

Any time.

|

12/6/2018 12:25 PM

Jawz13 wrote:

I had 2.5" tires and the EVO 2.5s and there was plenty of room still. 2.4s will fit fine.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...