paint stripping ur frame

Related:
Create New Tag

5/21/2008 12:58 AM

i was thinkin bout doin it so i can have the metal raw look. ill put some clear coat over it so it doesnt rust! has any one done that before cause i was just seeing if it holds up with no rust and that? cheers

|

5/21/2008 1:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 4:15 PM

yer paint strip it back and try not to scratch it while you do it or ull fuck it up

and youll have to clear coat it unless you want to stress about every drop of water that hits your frame and quickly get it of before it rusts but raw bikes look awsome though i'd do it

oh and my mate once didnt clear coat his and it was orange after one wash with surface rust YUCK!!

|

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A ROCKET MANUAL COMPTETION

5/21/2008 3:24 AM

yer cheers man thanks 4 the help if any one ealse can help me it would be sick

|

5/21/2008 8:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/21/2008 8:09 AM

i use balogne to take off paint on a hot day u put it on then let it heat up then wash it off with a pressure washer and ur done

|

5/21/2008 9:12 AM

i just rawwed my cranks and forks, thinking bout doin my stem next......I just bought some aircraft grade paint stripper at Lowe's and sprayed the bitches down (after takin em off my setup). Waited about 30 minutes, and the paint peeled right off my forks, Cranks were a little harder, think they had more coats of paint on em. Haven't clearcoated em yet, thats gonna get done this week.

|

"I don't ride trends, I ride bikes........I cut my bars, I ride with brakes, and I don't wear paint on pussy pants."

5/21/2008 10:11 AM

do use paint stripper, use steel wool

it looks cooler

|

your skill level is not defined by the price of your bike

stop hating on everyone all the time, just go ride

[RVABMX]

5/21/2008 11:35 AM

eastwes wrote:

i just rawwed my cranks and forks, thinking bout doin my stem next......I just bought some aircraft grade paint stripper at ...more

i used that on my frame a few days ago. it worked great...

BUT

since you have to rinse off the chemicals, water went down my seattube and now i see a light coating of rust on the INSIDE of the tube...

anyone know a good rust preventer to spray INTO the frame?
|

my old bike weighed 34 lbs. - my new bike weighs around 21 lbs. - holy shit!

5/22/2008 1:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2008 1:50 AM

so it does work and u dont have to use water to clean it up after u use the paint stripper. and how long wood this take

|

5/22/2008 2:08 AM

haha sick my bike is raw with a clear coat.

i just used paint stripper and sand paper and clear coat

|

5/22/2008 2:27 AM

cheers dude ill do that

|

5/22/2008 3:20 AM

superstar_bmx wrote:

cheers dude ill do that

no problem

|

5/23/2008 12:55 AM

any one ealse got ideas

|

5/23/2008 1:20 AM

sand blaster. chemicals can interfere with the clear coat paint. Pros use sand blasters to strip existing paint. If you can find one, I'm just lucky to know someone who has one in their garage. Anyways if you can find one just protect the inside of the BB and head tube and take your time with it. The sand is real fine and mixed in with air and works perfectly uniform you know...

|

5/23/2008 9:09 PM

I used a polishing wheel for a grinder once, but i was just trying to take the paint off to start fresh. It basically sanded down the paint and a little of the metal. I have used that paint stripper stuff, and it works well, as to the water in the frame, get a spray on wax, and spray it into the frame, BEFORE using the water and chems. Wax repels water, so it won't stay. Good luck eh!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/23/2008 9:11 PM

oven cleaner and then clear coat it

|

24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day.
coincidence?
I think not.

5/23/2008 9:13 PM

blow dry it too
it takes care of risidual chemical residue so it doen;t interfere with the clear coat

|

24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day.
coincidence?
I think not.

5/24/2008 3:13 AM

cheers

|