painting frame

Related:
Create New Tag

4/5/2020 5:42 PM

Hi so I just got a hoffman loyalty sig frame but it really needs a new paint job and I ride hard in any condition so I was wondering what paint would be the strongest-last the longest without powder coating it as I don't have any places near me that could do that.All replies are greatly appreciated so thank you in advance.

|

4/5/2020 6:49 PM

If you ride hard, no paint will last. Just pick up the cheapest spray paint color you like and either strip it and repaint or spray over the existing paint.

|

4/5/2020 6:50 PM

Yup.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

4/5/2020 7:28 PM

There are a couple ways people paint, but this is what I do.

At least lightly sand the surface of the frame, 1 coat of primer, 2-3 coats of the color you like, don’t touch for 24 hours, then apply a final coat of clear coat, wait another 24 hours.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/5/2020 7:30 PM

How you prep and paint will be the deciding factor in durability. If you wanna spray and put it together the same day chances are it’s gonna suck. Give it time to cure etc.

|

4/5/2020 8:02 PM

Raw it..

|

4/5/2020 8:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2020 8:05 PM

Thanks for the replies.I have just one question would car paint be stronger than regular spray paint?The only reason I care is because its a nice frame and I want it to look good for the longest time possible and because the weather here sucks.

|

4/5/2020 9:32 PM

BmxInTheUsa wrote:

Thanks for the replies.I have just one question would car paint be stronger than regular spray paint?The only reason I care is because its a nice frame and I want it to look good for the longest time possible and because the weather here sucks.

From my experience, it's better for high-wear areas. I have a couple scooter parts painted with automotive spray paint, and in said areas, it lasts much, much longer than normal matte or gloss sprays.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/6/2020 8:29 AM

Parkerize it. wink

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/6/2020 8:36 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Parkerize it. wink

LOL

|

4/6/2020 8:39 AM

I had GREAT durability by sanding, priming, priming priming, paint, paint, paint, paint, clear, clear, clear, clear with full dry time between coats of primer to paint, then paint to clear, and dry to the touch between each coat (usually 1-2 hours as it was decent outside and the light wind helped).

THIN COATS OF EACH.

And I used Duplicolor Engine Enamel paint (something like 6-8 bucks per can at an auto parts store) and the like 4-5 dollar per can clear coat. I went with Lime Green-I think it was a Mopar color.

At the end it dried for a day or two, THEN I built it up. The paint didn't really chip much for a year plus of lots of grinds on my rails.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/6/2020 8:45 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I had GREAT durability by sanding, priming, priming priming, paint, paint, paint, paint, clear, clear, clear, clear with full dry time between coats of primer to paint, then paint to clear, and dry to the touch between each coat (usually 1-2 hours as it was decent outside and the light wind helped).

THIN COATS OF EACH.

And I used Duplicolor Engine Enamel paint (something like 6-8 bucks per can at an auto parts store) and the like 4-5 dollar per can clear coat. I went with Lime Green-I think it was a Mopar color.

At the end it dried for a day or two, THEN I built it up. The paint didn't really chip much for a year plus of lots of grinds on my rails.

Thanks for the response Dave.What kind of clear did you use?

|

4/6/2020 10:24 AM

get it powder coated

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

a08's Street Build

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND

WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims

4/6/2020 10:43 AM

I cant there are no places close to me that will do it that I know of.

|

4/6/2020 12:25 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Parkerize it. wink

That would look badass.

|

4/6/2020 12:48 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Parkerize it. wink

Bulletpup wrote:

That would look badass.

If you have the extra funds bluing would look pretty badass too.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/6/2020 3:54 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

I'm a big fan of bluing but I think parkerizing looks amazing.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/6/2020 5:36 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Parkerize it. wink

Bulletpup wrote:

That would look badass.

HavokDJ wrote:

LOL yes it would but naw. One of these days I might tho just for fun.

|

4/6/2020 5:36 PM

HI everyone I have one question why is car paint better than regular spray paint and what are the benefits thanks for all your former responses.

|

4/7/2020 4:29 AM

BmxInTheUsa wrote:

HI everyone I have one question why is car paint better than regular spray paint and what are the benefits thanks for all your former responses.

To answer your other question-Just some Krylon stuff.

As to car engine paint, it is a LOT more durable. It's made to handle up to 500 degrees and all the road salt and junk you may find driving.

Worked really well.

I've had ok results with using cheaper paint but it is less durable.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/7/2020 7:52 AM

Thanks for your response dave,in the future before I do my bike check I will definitely use car engine enamel paint then to redo my frame.

|