painting parts

Related:
Create New Tag

3/10/2014 1:25 PM

ok im planning on spray painting my bmx frame a fluorescent yellow fading/blending to a fluorescent green at the welds, i know i should use a white primer, i dont have much money so if clearcoat isn't too necessery then i wont buy it, also, i dont care too much about paint quality like orange peel and stuff, as long as the colours show and will stay on for a good amount of time then I will be perfectly happy about it smile and here my questions are:

1.will clearcoat prevent the actual colour of the paint from peeling?
2.can i get away without clearcoating fluorescent colours, or will they just fade away over time from the sun?
3.does clearcoat offer protection against the colours from fading by being exposed to the sun.(just like question 2)

questions for rust paint, im also planning to paint my bars and forks with rust paint because it is cheap:

4.do I need primer for a matte black rust paint, is it strong enough to withstand everyday riding

and if you have any tips on how to fade/blend colours ie: yellow to green back to yellow, please tell me, any tips will help for sure.

and last, PLEASE answer the above questions in detail, it will help loads...thanks

|

3/11/2014 8:54 AM

1.will clearcoat prevent the actual colour of the paint from peeling?
Yes it will, I'd recommend using clear coat.

2.can i get away without clearcoating fluorescent colours, or will they just fade away over time from the sun?
You can get away without clear coating but the paint will scratch off easier and im fairly certain that it will rust easier.

3.does clearcoat offer protection against the colours from fading by being exposed to the sun.(just like question 2)
Literally no idea about this one, that's why I didnt answer it in the last question.

4.do I need primer for a matte black rust paint, is it strong enough to withstand everyday riding
I've personally never used primer, nor have my friends who have painted frames. Honestly unless you're using automotive quality paint, you shouldnt waste the time or money priming it. My shadow bars are powder coated, even those scratch and have paint come off from everyday riding, itjust happens, its hard to avoid man.

|

3/11/2014 10:10 AM

i have a thread specifically made for painting bicycles and parts...if i don't post it within the next few hours just go through my post history and find the thread i made "how to spray paint a bike" or some shit like that.

or someone can do it for me...and make me a title jpeg for my sig and i'll put it there...and maybe credit you...maybe.

|