pegs vs. trucks

Related:
Create New Tag

1/21/2016 9:09 AM

These sk8 parks ban metal pegs&pedals but really how much more damage do metal pegs do compared to skateboard trucks.i mean i can see if you're cranking out some burns drop to grind but...

|

1/21/2016 9:50 AM

Trucks are alloy, and by the very nature of skating, will have a lower impact (even if you're going fast, if you land heavy, the trucks will stick).

|

1/21/2016 10:22 AM

Skateboards go slower and lower. I've never been to a park that actually enforces that rule though, but I haven't been to a ton of parks.

|

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

1/21/2016 10:37 AM

Pegs can also hit the concrete and create chinks in it. Trucks have little contact points if any with the actual concrete.

|

MOTW- 6/21/10- 6/27/10
Refs- Hyphy
Facebook

1/21/2016 10:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2016 10:39 AM

Bikes definitely have the potential to do more damage to a ledge. A skateboard weighs like 8 pounds while the average bike is around 25. Also, pegs are made of steel which is a relatively hard metal and you can put a lot of force into one point of contact on a feeble grind if you really slam it down.

Despite that, I still think anti peg rules are silly because there's usually coping on skatepark ledges and skateparks aree meant to be used, not babied. Now I run plastic so its a non-issue anyway

|

1/21/2016 11:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2016 11:06 AM

I personally like to skip the pegs and graduate to a sledge hammer , should see the skaters go nuts when you start putting in work on ledges with a sledge hammer and it's not like they can do anything anyways you got a fucken sledge hammer

|

1/21/2016 11:10 AM

Punk rock

|

1/21/2016 11:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2016 11:38 AM

SafetyFirst wrote:

Bikes definitely have the potential to do more damage to a ledge. A skateboard weighs like 8 pounds while the average bike is ...more

One can easily argue that trucks round of the corner of a ledge, damaging a smaller contact spot, causing chips due to said small contact patch, whereas a peg will be across around 4 inches or so of a ledge, thus sharpening the rounded edge.

So in all fairness pegs repair the damage skateboards cause by making a more crisp edge.

smile

For a simple experiment to see what I mean, take sandpaper and sand a piece of wood holding it at say a 20 degree angle on the corner, then sand the same area while holding is essentially level with the edge of wood, going an inch in from the edge. Which does more noticeable change to the wood faster? That's right, the 20 degree angle, which is around what a skate truck hits concrete at.

I said as much at a skateboard park meeting once, they got PISSED because I shut them down when they blamed bikes for ledge damage. The ONLY real argument is that a falling bike peg could cause cracks or chips on the surface of the ramps. Most parks have metal edges on everything (aside from maybe some granite ledges at fancier parks). Damage will ALWAYS happen at a park, and a good designer will be aware and accommodate ways to minimize damages/upkeep costs.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/21/2016 11:45 AM

Trucks are generally softer than pegs.

And what everyone said above me...

the only time trucks do a lot of damage is when you land the grind the wrong way and the ledge hit the kingpin.

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

1/21/2016 11:57 AM

one try kid wrote:

the only time trucks do a lot of damage is when ...more

Be that as it may, tell that to the granite ledges at a local museum. Skaters have destroyed those ledges over the years. Round edges that used to be crisp sharp corners.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/21/2016 12:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2016 12:09 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Be that as it may, tell that to the granite ledges at a local museum. Skaters have destroyed those ledges over the years. ...more

Imagine if someone 180-feeb that ledge on a bmx though, whole chunks of granite will be removed. that's like swinging around a 25+ pound hammer.

especially if you land your peg rather pointed down.

(or any spinning to grind trick)

|

But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

1/21/2016 12:09 PM

Easternbiker93 wrote:

Pegs can also hit the concrete and create chinks in it. Trucks have little contact points if any with the actual concrete.

Never created a chink by grinding a ledge.
I think the exact opposite because when you grind with skate trucks, you got all your weight on a super tiny surface, tiny surface which is exactly on the angle of the ledge, which is chinking them.
When you grind with pegs you got your weigth on at least one full peg, so around 10cm of contact point and on the flat so it didn't chunk anything.
Skaters who complains about shitty ledges are the same who screw up that ledge and said "bmx fault".

|

1/21/2016 12:14 PM

Francky wrote:

I think the exact opposite because when you grind with skate trucks, you got all ...more

A lot of the shock generated when grinding a skateboard is absorbed by the bushing, the board and your legs.

With bmx, it's generally your legs, the frame doesn't have much give at all.

That's why you see skateboarders do bigger drops to flat than BMX.

|

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

1/21/2016 12:23 PM

one try kid wrote:

the only time trucks do a lot of damage is when ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Be that as it may, tell that to the granite ledges at a local museum. Skaters have destroyed those ledges over the years. ...more

one try kid wrote:

Imagine if someone 180-feeb that ledge on a bmx though, whole chunks of granite will be removed. that's like swinging around a ...more

I have 16+ years in riding, AND weighed as much as 263 lbs, and have yet to take a sizeable chunk off a ledge (with the ONE exception of it was a wood bench), even on bikes that were close to FORTY lbs. I haven't even sizeably chipped concrete ledges in my day. I used to ride in a shed at my parents house that had an ALREADY sledgehammered concrete pad that I was doing fufanu to icepicks, toothpicks and SLAMMING into them without issue, year round (that's important because Minnesota winters can be hard on outdoor concrete-moisture gets in, freezes and cracks it all up.)

Yes, some people are not soft landers, but even so, a sizeable chunk should not be breaking off from a 180 to feeble unless that person lands INSANELY hard or the granite is less than 1/2 inch thick.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/21/2016 12:27 PM

one try kid wrote:

A lot of the shock generated when grinding a skateboard is absorbed by the bushing, the board and your legs.

With bmx, it's ...more

Bushings really don't take much shock away from legs. My experience as a former skater tell me that.

If anything tires take more shock away that a board easily. Also landing back wheel first and using your whole body as a shock absorber help a TON.

Skaters do a lot of large drops because they typically cannot generate the same kinds of speeds a bike can to clear distance gaps. Also skateboarding would be super super boring if all they did was tailslide foot tall ledges all day.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/21/2016 12:35 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Bushings really don't take much shock away from legs. My experience as a former skater tell me that.

If anything tires take ...more

Maybe if you land dead center on the trucks, the bushing doesn't help much. Before your bushing gets fully compressed, the ledge will hit the kingpin.

But if you land a little bit to the side in the trucks, the bushing takes a bit of the shock.

|

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

1/21/2016 12:43 PM

one try kid wrote:

Maybe if you land dead center on the trucks, the bushing doesn't help much. Before your bushing gets fully compressed, the ...more

So does the flex of the board.

But on a bike your tires take a LOT of shock away from you, so does landing back wheel first (which if you do larger drops you likely would be doing to save wrists). They are LITERALLY aired filled to cushion the riding. That's where pneumatic tires came from. To smooth out the ride. (plus cheaper).

Call it what you will but I KNOW you understand what I am talking about on these aspects.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/21/2016 12:48 PM

Get plastic pegs and guards , even pedals and barends and tell that skaters to blow it . Or do what Eskimo said .

Skaters only get anal over marble ledges , until they fuck them up , other than that most other things should be fine to ride , I don't understand why they get mad .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/21/2016 12:49 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

So does the flex of the board.

But on a bike your tires take a LOT of shock away from you, so does landing back wheel first ...more

Oh yes i do understand how much tires help with absorbing shock.

But i thought we were talking about slamming pegs to ledges vs slamming trucks to ledges. lol...

|

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

1/21/2016 1:28 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I personally like to skip the pegs and graduate to a sledge hammer , should see the skaters go nuts when you start putting in ...more

Same fam.

|

1/21/2016 1:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2016 1:51 PM

When you do a grind on a skateboard, the weight is distributed through the wheels on top of the ledge too. Skateboarders are generally very light on their feet, whereas the weight of a person on a bmx hopping onto that ledge will create a much harsher impact. Plus their alloy. Wood is a lot softer than marble or concrete and is much less likely to chip. Tyres don't damage ledges, but landing on a ledge on your tyres isn't a grind.
And ledges with a slightly rounded edge grind better than sharp ledges anyway

|

1/21/2016 2:08 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I personally like to skip the pegs and graduate to a sledge hammer , should see the skaters go nuts when you start putting in ...more

hahahaha /thread

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

1/21/2016 2:16 PM

Nah i just think its ironic how skaters get pist about us smashing up spots can't we all just destroy before we are destoyed.I'll now shut up&grind some precious marble with my viking steel

|

1/21/2016 2:25 PM

Eric_Wotansvolk wrote:

Nah i just think its ironic how skaters get pist about us smashing up spots can't we all just destroy before we are ...more

Why don't you also stop posting several threads about Gerber?

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/21/2016 3:26 PM

I love Skaters and I am married to one. I consider our brethren Skaters comrades in the streets and parks. No such rule exist in my local park, but we can't hate on Skaters. I know BMXers and Skaters sometimes have skirmishes, however for the most part we are allies everywhere.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

1/23/2016 12:40 PM

Francky wrote:

I think the exact opposite because when you grind with skate trucks, you got all ...more

I was talking about transitions and ramps

|

MOTW- 6/21/10- 6/27/10
Refs- Hyphy
Facebook