plastic or metal pegs???

Related:
Create New Tag

2/9/2017 5:41 PM

whats better plastic or metal

|

2/9/2017 5:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2017 7:24 AM

Plastic slides better on everything. No wax necessary even on bricks. They are lighter too.There is no contest. People are gonna say metal because it's metal, but metal is crap compared to plastic. If you like being slow, heavier, and having to wax everything, ride metal. Up to you.

|

2/9/2017 5:48 PM

Yes.


There is a lot more to look into other than what is better. It depends on what you grind, if you slam into grinds, how often you grind, if you want durability and long life or not, if you want quiet grinds or loud and so on.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/9/2017 6:11 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Plastic slides better on everything. No wax necessary even on bricks. They are lighter too.There is no contest. People are ...more

>Better than metal in every way.


except you know for the fact that plastic pegs wear out a hell of a lot faster than metal pegs do.


I also always found it funny the "wax" argument gets brought up when trying to say pc pegs are better. EVERY person I know with pc pegs ends up waxing the fuck out of ledges more than anyone I know with steel pegs because they "don't wanna ruin their sleeves"



Steel > pc

|

2/9/2017 6:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2017 6:17 PM

I only run steel pegs and i never wax anything. Plastic pegs wear out fast and they do slide worse on some things because they can be sticky. Plus the sound of metal grinding over brick is amazing.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

2/9/2017 6:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2017 6:27 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Plastic slides better on everything. No wax necessary even on bricks. They are lighter too.There is no contest. People are ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

>Better than metal in every way.


except you know for the fact that plastic pegs wear out a hell of a lot faster than ...more

I never wax anything, even bricks. I can't figure that one out either, but wax is totally unnecessary with pc pegs. Kids don't want to go faster than 5mph I guess.
Yeah durability sucks, but what's $20 a year. You spend more on tires. That's worth the benefits. Saying metal is faster is just not a valid argument either. It's not true in general.
Oh, they are quieter too. For all those coaster guys, that say that's why they won't ride a cassette.

|

2/9/2017 6:40 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

I never wax anything, even bricks. I can't figure that one out either, but wax is totally unnecessary with pc pegs. Kids don't ...more

Depends how much you grind though, it could be more if you're constantly grinding & having to replace them, as opposed to a one-time buy for a good set of steel pegs that will last you several years.


|

2/9/2017 6:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2017 6:59 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Plastic slides better on everything. No wax necessary even on bricks. They are lighter too.There is no contest. People are ...more

What are you talking about like to be slow ? Plastics good for slow riders who like to ride 2 miles an hour at foot tall ledges and end up going anywhere , if your half decent at long grinds with metal pegs your hauling ass certainly not going slow

|

2/9/2017 6:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2017 6:58 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

>Better than metal in every way.


except you know for the fact that plastic pegs wear out a hell of a lot faster than ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

I never wax anything, even bricks. I can't figure that one out either, but wax is totally unnecessary with pc pegs. Kids don't ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Depends how much you grind though, it could be more if you're constantly grinding & having to replace them, as opposed to ...more

That's true, but for the average rider plastic is the way to go. The benefits outweigh the cost. I get it, metal makes a cool sound, and last forever, but that's about it.

|

2/9/2017 7:12 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

That's true, but for the average rider plastic is the way to go. The benefits outweigh the cost. I get it, metal makes a cool ...more

Opinion-wise that might be about it. I've ridden friends bikes that had pc pegs and it felt fucking horrible. Felt like I was going to slip off the ledge any second but that was probably cause unlike the average pc peg rider, I was also going faster than .000000000000000000004mph



Plus, do some peg chinks with pc pegs and see how long they last then.

|

2/9/2017 9:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/10/2017 1:17 AM

metals
nobody cares about your feeble smith feeble smith double peg random pedal grind to 90 on 1 ft ledge going 0.05 mph with plastic pegs

|

2/10/2017 3:54 AM

tiho wrote:

metals
nobody cares about your feeble smith feeble smith double peg random pedal grind to 90 on 1 ft ledge going 0.05 mph with ...more

Yeah metal is better, because he said so...

|

2/10/2017 7:27 AM

Some parks won't let you in without a plastic sleeve on your peg so there's also that.

|

2/10/2017 7:30 AM

I ride plastic pegs and wax the crap out of everything lol. I don't love metal pegs because they make too much noise on ledges and you get kicked out within seconds. And you can peg chink with plastic pegs just fine. It just doesn't sound as good.

|

2/10/2017 7:51 AM

Both have their pros and cons I guess. Ive always ridden metal but want to try plastic on my new bike Im building.

|

2/10/2017 8:03 AM

FaggotSteve wrote:

Some parks won't let you in without a plastic sleeve on your peg so there's also that.

True story.

|

2/10/2017 9:09 AM

Honestly, plastic pegs in front and metal pegs in back usually work for me. I just like to slide a bit smoother for smiths.

For durability, metal will outlast plastic by a long shot. Period.
For smoothness, plastic slides a bit better.
For price, metal will always win. Plus less money spent on plastic sleeves is more money for weed.

For weight, it depends on what pegs you buy. A single odyssey mpeg (metal) weighs 8.75 oz, whereas a single fiction troop PC (plastic) peg weighs 9 oz. If you purchase a better plastic peg, you'll stay in the range of about 4.5 oz to 7 oz.

If you're a real weight weenie, get a pair of black ops plastic pegs. Those fuckers are solid plastic (no metal sleeve), weigh about 2.5 oz each, and are cheap. But that's because they're utter shit. I got a pair from my buddy for next to nothing, and I can honestly say I'd never purchase a pair.

|

2/10/2017 2:50 PM

tiho wrote:

metals
nobody cares about your feeble smith feeble smith double peg random pedal grind to 90 on 1 ft ledge going 0.05 mph with ...more

0.05mph?! damn man, slow down, that's way too fast to be hitting a ledge to 90° shitty coaster fakie out!

|

2/11/2017 11:17 AM

Plastic pegs are good I like mine very much. So are freecoasters those are cool too

|

2/11/2017 4:45 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Honestly, plastic pegs in front and metal pegs in back usually work for me. I just like to slide a bit smoother for smiths.

...more

Truth.

|

"Party like you don't work, and work like you don't party."

2/11/2017 8:26 PM

Definitely plastic. They slide better and don't dent.

|

2/11/2017 8:30 PM

Bcrowell wrote:

Definitely plastic. They slide better and don't dent.

Yeah not denting is a real benefit of pc pegs!

Photo

|

2/12/2017 1:00 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Yeah not denting is a real benefit of pc pegs!

Photo

Yeah, but now the metal core is exposed and one can go dent that. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. tongue

Full disclosure to no one in particular: I run plastics but, obviously, only at "0.05 mph", or ".000000000000000000004mph". I don't know. Whichever velocity makes me less desirable to people who get all bent out of shape about what kind of pegs other people run, or how fast they choose to run them.

Yawn...

|

2/12/2017 7:32 AM

Bcrowell wrote:

Definitely plastic. They slide better and don't dent.

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Yeah not denting is a real benefit of pc pegs!

Photo

GMGuinn wrote:

Yeah, but now the metal core is exposed and one can go dent that. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. tongue

Full ...more

Lol

|

2/12/2017 12:55 PM

Metal pegs and cassette hub for life here! Only time I'll run a plastic peg is for the local skatepark because they require them! If not always metal

|

2/12/2017 1:11 PM

GMGuinn wrote:

Yeah, but now the metal core is exposed and one can go dent that. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. tongue

Full ...more

The metal core's only exposed because plastic sucks and broke so I don't see how that's helping your argument.

My 8 year old front peg has a dent in it and still has life left to it, that probably month old peg above does not. That is my point.

|

2/12/2017 1:48 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

The metal core's only exposed because plastic sucks and broke so I don't see how that's helping your argument.

My 8 year old ...more

It wasn't an argument; it was a joke.

|

2/17/2017 4:59 AM

I prefer PC, but until they make PC pegs with anti roll pins i run metal pegs
I have heard about a way to make your own sleeve out of PVC pipe on metal pegs

|

2/17/2017 5:14 AM

I like sparks! And the sound of grinding brick

|

2/17/2017 11:17 AM

It depends on what and how you ride.

|