please help with break issue

Related:
Create New Tag

4/4/2011 3:24 PM

I just spent the weekend switching over parts on all my bikes and it seems im not having much success here. The second issue that has come up is as follows.

Got new break pads that are about 1/8 inch wider then my last set, i put them in but because of there extra width they are always rubbing on the rim. I adjusted the break cable length and made sufficient changes but now the issue is that one break pad sits about 1/8 inch away from the rim but the other side of the break pad is sitting 1/2 inch away from the rim. No matter what i do i cant seem to get any consistency between the two. This is happening on all three of my bikes that i changed the pads on. Its very annoying as i am only getting half the breaking force when i break unless i slam the break lever all the way but then it just wears the one side of the break pad completely down. I thought maybe the pads were just messed up so i put the old ones back on but even the old ones are not evenly paced as well. Is this something that i should be doing with the spring tension on the frames break mounts? or should i be looking more into the break cables?

any help would be greatly appreciated

|

Brennan Huff: "I'm so scared right now. I'm just gonna to do what's sensible, I'm gonna file for unemployment. Then I'm gonna try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they got an excellent corporate structure and they... *they* give *you* the tools to be your own boss."

4/4/2011 3:27 PM

your wheel could possibly be laced un-even

|

4/4/2011 3:32 PM

wheels are laced even, the issue is not with wheels, there was no problem when the original break pads were on, but after i adjusted the breaks for the new pads, now they are all messed up and i cant get them back.

|

Brennan Huff: "I'm so scared right now. I'm just gonna to do what's sensible, I'm gonna file for unemployment. Then I'm gonna try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they got an excellent corporate structure and they... *they* give *you* the tools to be your own boss."

4/4/2011 3:33 PM

just ride brakeless it doesn't sound worth it. :/

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

4/4/2011 3:33 PM

im no expert with brakes, but im pretty sure you have to mess with the spring tension.

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

4/4/2011 3:38 PM

Check and make sure there is even tension on the cable hanger between the two calipers, make sure your wheel is straight, and try to make the spring tension on the calipers are close to the same on both sides. Just some things to check.

|

4/4/2011 3:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2011 3:42 PM

Its the spring tension, i rode breaks for about a good 2 years and had gotten pretty good at dialing them in. All you need to do is put more spring tension on the side thats rubing against the rim. Theres nothing wrong with your breaks, dialing them in can just be a real pain in the ass at times.

|

Swoop it motherfuckas

4/4/2011 4:07 PM

Austin_Read wrote:

Its the spring tension, i rode breaks for about a good 2 years and had gotten pretty good at dialing them in. All you need to do is put more spring tension on the side thats rubing against the rim. Theres nothing wrong with your breaks, dialing them in can just be a real pain in the ass at times.

This guy has got it. It's all about the tension. Loosen the brake tension bolt, adjust and re-tighten. May take you a few tries to get it perfect, but you'll get it.

|

"I've had the 2 greatest corn dogs of my life, and I owe it all to BMX."