preformance top load vs front load

Related:
Create New Tag

8/23/2014 8:37 AM

my stem is going and i was looking to buy a new one. i was wondering if there was any differences performance wise between the top load stems and front load stems?

|

8/23/2014 8:59 AM

Front load is lower, top load is higher. It's all about personal preference.

|

8/23/2014 9:07 AM

JW, how does a stem go bad? (New to bmx, never rode enough to wear a stem out...)

|

8/23/2014 9:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/23/2014 9:21 AM

ghostx720 wrote:

JW, how does a stem go bad? (New to bmx, never rode enough to wear a stem out...)

Stripped knurling, stripped threads, cracks. That's mainly it.

Outside of that, color gets boring, or wanting something new.

My last stem lasted me about 7 years, and I STILL have it as backup. It was the original shadow topload.

Never had bars slip in it, despite having had like 6 sets of bars in there and painting it a handful of times.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/23/2014 9:29 AM

ghostx720 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

My last stem lasted me about 7 years, and I STILL have it as backup. It was the original shadow topload.

Never had bars slip in it, despite having had like 6 sets of bars in there and painting it a handful of times.

Thanks man, makes sense!

|

8/23/2014 9:29 AM

ghostx720 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

dont forget pinching
its not too hard to deal with though, use some pennies to get it on until you can grab a new one

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

8/23/2014 3:37 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Front load is lower, top load is higher. It's all about personal preference.

It wouldn't hurt to elaborate some you know. lol

Op, you may prefer a top if you're on the taller side, front if shorter. Top loads from my experience take longer for the bike to react, but is more stable and less of a hassle. Although the difference from front load is very minimal in those regards. (depending highly on your size and what you like)

Also you never mentioned whether you current stem is top/front? If you're feeling bored of it in any way, I'd encourage you to explore something completely different. You never know what you may like till you try.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

8/23/2014 4:45 PM

Not muh difference in performance , no matter what if you break a stem top load or front load your going to have a bad time regardless

|