press fit or threaded cone nuts

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2016 8:43 AM

after a long wait i finally recieved my stranger ballast front hub and i noticed it has press fit hardware which ive seen but not familliar with the purpose of it being like that since all my hubs have been threaded. Does anybody knows the benefits or the reason being? im just curios and im sure others are too, id apreciare the shared knowledge

|

1/14/2016 2:22 PM

Cheaper to manufacture, they put essentially built in spacer on the axle so it doesn't trash the bearings when cranked down, and no threads to strip out/trash rendering the hub/guards useless.

I am in the market for a new front hub soon, and that was the route I planned to go.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/14/2016 5:54 PM

Well with press-on hardware, there's nothing to strip out. But also nothing to adjust so the tolerances have to be perfect otherwise if you crank down too much then it puts too much pressure on the bearings and can cause drag. Or you no matter how much you crank down, it's always a hair loose causing a vibrating noise if you hit your front wheel.

|