primo half link chain

Related:
Create New Tag

11/11/2015 1:30 PM

Anyone has it? is reliable?

|

11/12/2015 3:41 AM

Half link chains stretch more than a normal chain (meaning they'll wear your driver and sprocket quicker, unless replaced pretty often), and have more points they can break. I personally can't stand them.
No doubt someone will argue with me about this, but I see worn drivetrains every day at work

|

11/12/2015 6:38 AM

somehow its a necesary evil cause with a full link the axle is either too slamed or too far out and for that you could use only one half link but all the strain eill go to that half link so if you have a whole chain made of half link the stress will be spread onto all the links i will ratjer use a full link chain like the old days but the drop outs have like 3/4" play in them now unlike the old days when they had like 2" plus hub guard

|

11/12/2015 6:58 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Half link chains stretch more than a normal chain (meaning they'll wear your driver and sprocket quicker, unless replaced pretty often), and have more points they can break. I personally can't stand them.
No doubt someone will argue with me about this, but I see worn drivetrains every day at work

For the record I ran the original Shadow Half link for 5 (yes, FIVE) years and replaced at my discretion. Currently on the V2 of the Shadow Interlock, and I have had this one for around 3-4 now, with no issues.

I have been brakeless and not many times over the years, so pedal pressure is something my setups have dealt with. The first version was mainly brakeless.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/12/2015 7:13 AM

my friend had the primo halflink, it stretched so much. he was constantly taking out links. he had it for maybe five months before he threw it out and got a new chain

|

11/12/2015 7:39 AM

Carson373 wrote:

my friend had the primo halflink, it stretched so much. he was constantly taking out links. he had it for maybe five months before he threw it out and got a new chain

Interesting that it stretched at least 1/4 inch (approximate link length) multiple times in 5 months...considering mine have never had to have links taken out and lasted in one case 12 times that length...

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/12/2015 7:58 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah the halflink chain stretch more due to the shape of each link but after running a cult halflink chain for 4 years (only broken once) I decided to get a new one, so a BSD half link which is the same, when I put both chains side to side to cut the good lenght of the new one, I had see how much the old chain have been stretched and that was something like 1/3 of a halflink which is not that bad.

For the wearing out of spocket and driver because of that chain stretch, I completely agree with you, but for roadbikes, not that much for BMX because it´s a single speed, the chain is not constantly jumping between all the speeds and sharpen the teeth (especially with the new (and expensive) 10 and 11 speeds cassettes, better to switch the chain often than buy a new gearing...)

|

11/12/2015 8:58 AM

Teeth wear is caused by chain stretch more than anything as a stretched chain won't engage on the teeth how it should. It does take a lot longer for them to wear on single speed bikes, but if you've ever used a chain checking tool, you'll see how little the chain has to Stetch before it gets to a point it will cause wear.
The reason anyone can run a chain for 4 or 5 years is because the vast majority of the stretch will happen quickly. Just because it doesn't get to a point where it's constantly snapping doesn't mean it's not wearing your driver or sprocket.
I run a cheap 410 chain, replace links if they snap, and replace the whole chain roughly once a year. My thought process behind this is, any chain will snap if you land dodgy on it, and I don't want a chain to be full of sketchy links (the plates aren't designed to be reused, as soon as you push a pin out, you've deformed the hole making it weaker. They're designed to be installed once, and replaced when worn)
Maybe I'm being too careful and worked in the industry too long, but I don't want to bodge anything on my bike. I've seen a lot of snapped chains, and I don't like the thought of my bike failing because I've cut corners.

Saying all this, the newer half link chains are a lot better than they used to be. I still don't like them though

|

11/12/2015 9:15 AM

ive never had teeth wear on a sprocket and ive ridden for 20+ years lol i also never had an issue with my v1 shadow half link when they first dropped

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

11/12/2015 9:17 AM

1664 ballin half link is all I ride anymore

|

11/12/2015 10:41 AM

Photo

This is Older than most on the people on this forum so probably not the best example. But this is an old sprocket of mine, it hasn't been on a bike for over 10 years (probably closer to 15)
Anyone ever heard that clunking sound every once in a while when you put a crank in? Sounds a bit like the chain nearly coming off the driver or sprocket, but it can't because the chain's tight. That means either your chain is stretched, your sprocket is worn, or your driver is worn. They wear even quicker if your chain line isn't correct. Keep running the same parts not set up correctly, and they'll fail

|

11/12/2015 4:26 PM

grumpySteve wrote: Photo

This is Older than most on the people on this forum so probably not the best example. But this is an old sprocket of mine, it hasn't been on a bike for over 10 years (probably closer to 15)
Anyone ever heard that clunking sound every once in a while when you put a crank in? Sounds a bit like the chain nearly coming off the driver or sprocket, but it can't because the chain's tight. That means either your chain is stretched, your sprocket is worn, or your driver is worn. They wear even quicker if your chain line isn't correct. Keep running the same parts not set up correctly, and they'll fail

or your bottom bracket is fucked lol

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton