profile elite vs mini

Related:
Create New Tag

6/15/2015 8:39 PM

contacted Profile asking them if the Elites come with better bearings etc and all is they could tell me is the elite have more points of contact .I mean everyone knows that but I have owned mini and they were good hubs and the engagement amount was never a problem .I am just ready to pull the trigger on one or the other and want to get feedback .I like the look and the machining of the mini cause to me the elite look a bit cheap.If they both use same bearings engagement amount is only difference no point in paying extra .They also said elite have labyrinth seal and mini use O ring but I don't ride in mud and rain so that not a big deal

|

6/15/2015 9:46 PM

I have minis they kick ass

|

6/15/2015 10:14 PM

Get G-Sports or Trees so you don't have to deal with any customer service.

|

6/15/2015 10:27 PM

On their webstore they have hub bearings and for one option the description says it will fit the Mini & Elite hubs... This tells me both hubs use the exact same bearings with the blue seals and all, otherwise they would have an option to select Mini hub bearings & Elite hub bearings separately, not a "one size fits all" kind of deal, if that makes sense.

That being said, even if they did have some kind of special bearings in them, fuck spending nearly $500 on hubs alone.

|

6/16/2015 6:02 AM

Pretty positive the only difference in them is the hub shell has more POE and a different seal system on the driver itself.

|

6/16/2015 6:40 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Or the wobbling. Can't forget the Profile wobble.

|

6/16/2015 6:57 AM

I would be all over the z coaster if I had the spare cash for it. I think it'd be swell.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/16/2015 7:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/16/2015 1:14 PM

Don't buy the Minis. The Maderas are the exact same internals, so unless you want like fucking matte tie dyed floral galaxy wrap, there is no benefit to spending the extra money for minis.

Don't buy the Elites either. Unless you want the sound, there is no real benefit to quicker engagement. In fact, I found that going from Maderas (4 pawl) to Trees (3 Pawl) made fakies a lot easier because they is a bit more slack. If you had a hub with instant engagement, you would have to be backpedaling before your back tire even hit the ground.

TL;DR: Get Anti-Grams or Trees.

Oh, they all pretty much use the same bearings.

|

6/16/2015 3:12 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Oddity wrote:

Or the wobbling. Can't forget the Profile wobble.

What is this wobble you speak of?

|

6/16/2015 3:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/16/2015 4:04 PM

It's probably this Rumor he's heard like everyone I've heard say profiles have wobble who haven't had profiles , of the many people I know including myself who have profiles we've never heard or had this wobble actually happen , but it's like the lochness monster I hear it'll get Ya

|

6/16/2015 4:17 PM

eskimojay wrote:

It's probably this Rumor he's heard like everyone I've heard say profiles have wobble who haven't had profiles , of the many ...more

I've had two Madera hubs.

They both wobbled.

|

6/16/2015 4:46 PM

tecnic1 wrote:

They both wobbled.

Lots of different hubs can develop wobble. It's usually fixable with a small shim if this happens.

If I were choosing between hubs right now I'd either get the Minis (have them on my personal bike) or the Z-Coaster because it's about the same price as the Elite and very, very cool haha.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

6/16/2015 4:47 PM

eskimojay wrote:

It's probably this Rumor he's heard like everyone I've heard say profiles have wobble who haven't had profiles , of the many ...more

tecnic1 wrote:

They both wobbled.

transition_chris wrote:

Lots of different hubs can develop wobble. It's usually fixable with a small shim if this happens.

If I were choosing between ...more

But not very many wobble straight out of the box.

|

6/16/2015 6:42 PM

eskimojay wrote:

You guys are lucky ones then but they definitely can and do develop wobbles, even Profile themselves are aware of it as they make and sell shims to help fix the wobble

|

6/16/2015 7:18 PM

transition_chris wrote:

It's also fixable by properly manufacturing the goddamn hubs.

|

6/16/2015 7:37 PM

Local racer had a set of profile minis with wobble straight out of the box, and they had the cheek to say they will give him the shims for £(can't remember how much)

That's like me selling a shirt "brand new" with a hole in it, getting a complaint and saying i will send a needle and thread for £5. Fuck. That. No new product should have such a glaring defect that they have known about for years, on the flip side i know a guy who has a nice set of purple minis that roll sweet with no wobble, but i couldn't take a chance like that with brand new hubs.

|

6/16/2015 8:40 PM

My buddy kormilo has rode his profile minis longer then me and beats the hell out of them with peg less grinds his are still prime , he did just snap his race cranks though

|

6/16/2015 11:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/16/2015 11:36 PM

Some are good and some are not. Why take the chance when spending that kind of money? Especially when there are better hubs out there for less.

When something is manufactured in house in the good ol' USA you should expect better tolerances and quality control, but no, they've known about the problem for YEARS and have yet to fix the real issue. Instead they just sell you shims if you have an issue with it.

|

6/16/2015 11:54 PM

Oddity wrote:

Some are good and some are not. Why take the chance when spending that kind of money? Especially when there are better hubs ...more

This... Or sell you a bearing just the slightest bit larger than the regular bearing they use (Option E.)

I mean, it is nice they make those things at least so if/when your hub does start wobbling, you can fix it instead of having to get a whole new shell. Definitely could have used a bearing like that when my old Primo hub's bearing seat expanded a tiny bit for some reason, but if it's a KNOWN issue, you'd think they'd have some kind of true fix for it.

|

6/17/2015 5:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/17/2015 8:06 AM

tecnic1 wrote:

They both wobbled.

transition_chris wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

It's also fixable by properly manufacturing the goddamn hubs.

The thing is, I understand that manufacturing stuff to tighter tolerances cost money. I don't recall the exact amount, but adding a decimal place to tolerance (i.e., going from +/- .01 to +/- .001) something like triples the cost.

So the reason some wobble out of the box, and some never wobble is most likely due to tolerance stack up. Suppose you spec the shell out to xx inches, +/- .01, and the axle to yy +/- .01. so you get a specific shell that is xx +.01, and the axle is yy -.01, that would be the worst case stack up, and could wobble. Alternatively, if the stack-up went the other way, it could cause excessive side load on the bearings and drag.

I also understand that it's an easy fix with shims.

Sooo, how hard would it be to do the machining, and add a step to assembly to measure everything up and shim it at the factory? Or at a bare minimum, include a set of shims with the hub.

I still don't understand why some Profile/Madera hubs skip worse than others though. The RHD hub I gave to my kid when I switched to LHD never skips. My LHD hub skipped non stop until I put a second set of springs in it.

|

6/17/2015 7:52 AM

I got mine used from some kid off craigslist, never had a wobble. Also have an SS cassette, no wobble. That thing was used of Ebay and beat to hell and back. Still rolls smooth. Needs pawls, springs, spokes and a 48h rim and it would make a solid wheel again.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/17/2015 8:30 AM

I've had minis before and never had an wobble, ran them for 3 years. Then one day the flange started to develop cracking. Profile offered to replace it for free but in my eyes if a parts lasts me a 2-3 years its done enough in my book.

I have a set of elites right now waiting for me laced up to Gsport birdcages. Excited to try them out.

Also I've had the same set of profile cranks for 6 years now not a single problem with them, and I do Luc-Es on a regular basis.

|

6/17/2015 9:36 AM

The last few comments are exactpy what i was getting at, when you get good they are awesome but when you get bad, well, shit happens fast and furious.

If i had heard, and more importantly seen better quality control i would be more inclined towards a set of profiles.

As for their cranls, they just dont last for me, twisted spindles and wallowed put arms but never actual snaps luckily.

|

6/17/2015 10:10 AM

Oddity wrote:

Some are good and some are not. Why take the chance when spending that kind of money? Especially when there are better hubs ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

This... Or sell you a bearing just the slightest bit larger than the regular bearing they use (Option E.)

I mean, it is nice ...more

That fixes a totally separate problem. Spoke tension deforms the hub shell and makes the bearing bore OD too large. Odyssey/Gsport set the flanges further inboard to help with this, and straight pull hubs are just completely different and don't have this problem to the same degree.

The Profile wobble I've had comes from the shoulders on the axles being slightly closer together than the shoulders in the bearing bore, so the axle is unrestrained axially. That's why when they first start to wobble, you can kinda "fix" it by cranking down on the axle nuts. It deforms the bearing/hubshell and makes the shoulder/bearing bore line up.

|

12/15/2019 3:39 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Neither of those come close to profile and why would u buy a part based on customer service??

|

12/15/2019 5:55 AM

CookinONa20inch wrote:

Neither of those come close to profile and why would u buy a part based on customer service??

k den.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/15/2019 7:18 AM

Profile is overpriced poor/high quality stuff if that makes any sense

They sell rusty banged up cranks for hundreds of dollars lol yeah sure there cranks hold up and supposedly have good warranty but why put out the extra cash well other companies have equally strong cranks that are actually quality rust scratch free and also have lifetime warranty cough odyssey

Ive seen quite a few of there hubs with that wobble bs and owned a few myself

The 14mm hubs roll slower than the ones with 3/8 internals

there’s definitely other hubs out there that are worth looking into

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

12/16/2019 9:26 AM

CookinONa20inch wrote:

You're a moron.

|