purge welded ! Thinking of getting this Lairdframes

Related:
Create New Tag

1/11/2015 4:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2015 4:13 AM

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

1/11/2015 6:22 AM

This is old as fuck. Everyone already knows of this. Either you're really behind in bmx news or you're insulting us, which is it?

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

1/11/2015 10:02 AM

on the down side all his frames have the same tubbing thickness, and no wish bone chain stays because he claims that wish bone is weaker

although is all my experiences in the past 13 1/2 years frames without wishbone tend to bend and twist

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

1/11/2015 10:04 AM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

on the down side all his frames have the same tubbing thickness, and no wish bone chain stays because he claims that wish bone is weaker

although is all my experiences in the past 13 1/2 years frames without wishbone tend to bend and twist

I'd make him make me a wishbone in the frame. haha I love the wishbone on the bottom part and a sick graphic on the top in the seatstays. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/11/2015 10:34 AM

These are reasons why I wouldn't buy a Laird frame. If I'm paying for a custom frame, I want a goddamn custom frame, not what a guy tells me I want.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

1/11/2015 10:40 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

These are reasons why I wouldn't buy a Laird frame. If I'm paying for a custom frame, I want a goddamn custom frame, not what a guy tells me I want.

Standard is the only way anymore at least to my current knowledge at the moment haha

S&M
Fit
and Fbm are the same as laird

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram

old edit

1/11/2015 10:44 AM

Standard is the only way anymore at least to my current knowledge at the moment haha

S&M
Fit

I'm pretty sure FBM is willing to do a lot more than their website says if you ask them and you're willing to pay. S&M/Fit would be my last choice. Laird's welds are pretty good, but there's a lot of stuff that I think he does wrong. I don't give a shit how many engineers he's talked to, if his frames have a low integrated clamp (They do), he's lost the credibility to say what should and should not be on a frame.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

1/11/2015 11:07 AM

im def not current in bmx.hahaha

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

1/11/2015 2:36 PM

The mention of tubing thickness in this thread made me laugh. A friend of mine was riding Jaycee park in the early 2000's on an early Fit frame. Mike Laird saw it, and said he was an idiot for buying it because the tube set was too thin, and that it was just a matter of time before it broke. Needless to say, the frame never broke. He said some other ridiculous things about the frame as well, but is has been too long to remember. Either way, the guy came across as a complete jackass.

|

1/11/2015 3:17 PM

Head Tube 74°
Rear End Length 14”
Seat Tube Angle 71°
BB Height 11.70
Standover Height 9”
1.25" TT
1.38" BT
Chainstay brakes welded
14mm dropouts

The only thing I asked about was integrated chain tensioners and he said his tubes are too thick for chain tensioners. He's said that to everyone I seen ask online. It's not a big deal to me, I just wanted perfect geo.
Zero complaints thus far from me. Happy customer!

|

Smoke Drink Die

1/12/2015 5:45 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

S&M
Fit

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I'm pretty sure FBM is willing to do a lot more than their website says if you ask them and you're willing to pay. S&M/Fit would be my last choice. Laird's welds are pretty good, but there's a lot of stuff that I think he does wrong. I don't give a shit how many engineers he's talked to, if his frames have a low integrated clamp (They do), he's lost the credibility to say what should and should not be on a frame.

Seriously haha

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

1/12/2015 5:56 PM

FBM you can get a ton of different tube sizes and stuff. I mean oh damn, you can't get a custom seat stay bridge, but a tubular bridge will create a stiffer frame anyways. Considered a Laird when I was custom frame shopping but the FBM was a better choice for me.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

1/13/2015 9:19 PM

thanks for that info collin. i wonder if fbm would purge weld a frame for me.

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

1/13/2015 9:25 PM

RxKing wrote:

thanks for that info collin. i wonder if fbm would purge weld a frame for me.

I'm going to be honest I have no idea what the fuck that means. It wouldn't hurt to ask, but even if they don't, the welds on my FBM are beautiful and have great penetration all around.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

1/15/2015 8:12 AM

Laird is blunt and upfront about his work. Go on his fb and look at the conversation between him and a dude named squirrel. Even some pro's got in the convo. He know's what he's talking about

|

Smoke Drink Die

1/15/2015 8:32 AM

The guys only ran his own metal fabrication company for years but all these kids on here who don't actually weld or fabricate metal must know more about in then him .....ridiculous

|

1/15/2015 8:41 AM

eskimojay wrote:

The guys only ran his own metal fabrication company for years but all these kids on here who don't actually weld or fabricate metal must know more about in then him .....ridiculous

Thats true, I doubt he would say the stuff he is saying if he didn't know. Plus all his frames are pretty damn light and i bet theyre strong.

On the other hand i wanna get some different stuff if i buy a signature frame, not just a seatstay bridge with geo i like. I want like a dent proof downtube. That'd be ideal.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/16/2015 7:19 AM

Dent proof would be kinda nice

|

Smoke Drink Die

1/16/2015 8:15 AM

eskimojay wrote:

not to mention the fact that this is one guy building these frames not an entire company. so the idea of him not having a set up that will work with a ton of other frame tube sizes isn't surprising.

|

1/16/2015 3:21 PM

Colonydirt94 wrote:

This

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

1/16/2015 4:36 PM

Colonydirt94 wrote:

So downtubes from frames from 2000 or so?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/21/2015 4:26 PM

purge weld means they seal gas in the tubes while its being welded. which makes for a perfect weld.as a metal fabricated and purge welder myself im very attracted to that idea.plus im very anal about metal fab and am surprised no one else welds frames like this.

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

1/22/2015 3:18 PM

eskimojay wrote:

This. True it seems he comes across as a bit of a dick sometimes, but he welds look beast and I trust his word more than anyone on here since he's the one making the frames. If Jesse of oneeye made frames, id take their points into consideration. But they dont, so I'll bet on the guy that makes the frames.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

1/22/2015 4:00 PM

Colonydirt94 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Those can still dent just they suck and are really really heavy. haha

I'm talking ovalized tubes or eliptical

|

1/23/2015 7:04 AM

Colonydirt94 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

MaximusBikes wrote:

Those can still dent just they suck and are really really heavy. haha

I'm talking ovalized tubes or eliptical

Haha it's SUPER hard to dent them because of the uber-thick tubing walls.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/23/2015 8:20 AM

Hell if he can make a frame that has dropouts that will last longer than a month without tweaking over, I would buy one

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

1/23/2015 3:30 PM

RxKing wrote:

purge weld means they seal gas in the tubes while its being welded. which makes for a perfect weld.as a metal fabricated and purge welder myself im very attracted to that idea.plus im very anal about metal fab and am surprised no one else welds frames like this.

Purge welding is for stainless, titanium or any other alloy with corrosion inhibitors. For chromoly it is really not necessary. It is primarily used to allow the back portion of the weld to not contact an oxidizer, therefore eliminating the chance of the weld to oxidize (rust). There is really no benefit on a BMX frame.

|

1/23/2015 4:50 PM

RxKing wrote:

bobPA wrote:

Purge welding is for stainless, titanium or any other alloy with corrosion inhibitors. For chromoly it is really not necessary. It is primarily used to allow the back portion of the weld to not contact an oxidizer, therefore eliminating the chance of the weld to oxidize (rust). There is really no benefit on a BMX frame.

From my college days it was used as you stated, to avoid contact with an oxidzer, not only to avoid rusting, but it was also used to aid in fewer impurities from the atmosphere (water particles etc) to get into the molten weld, creating pitting or weak spots, thus allowing for a more complete, strong and better weld.

Either way the man has some solid welds, and they look fantastic. I saw frame number 57 (I think that was which one) in person, and DAMN I want one.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/23/2015 4:56 PM

Top tube and down tube made out of really long animal pegs

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

2/6/2015 5:44 AM

I just want to clarify that my frames are custom geometry and bridge design. There not 100% customs frames from the ground up. I'm only charging $450 a frame, if you wanted a 100% custom the frame would cost a whole hell of a lot more then they do now like my competition. I also just wanted to state that all the other US frame manufacturers do an amazing job at building frames and if you choose them its a win for everyone. Support US manufacturing!!!!!

|