question for tall riders

Related:
Create New Tag

4/1/2013 6:29 PM

right now i ride a sunday broadcaster. 20.75 tt. the bike is great. super responsive. im looking to buy a new frame. not because this one is beat. but cause i want a longer top tube since im 6'2... im looking into a sunday rooster frame with 21.25 tt but it has a inch longer chainstay. is this frame gonna really mess up my riding. or will i feel more at home on it. im not really into doing quick spins or whips. so having the shorter wheelbase is not really nessesary.

has any other taller guys made this kinda of frame change? if so how did you adapt to it?

|

4/1/2013 6:35 PM

I went from 20tt to 21tt and it is amazing, get it

|

Street. Park.

4/1/2013 6:47 PM

it just takes a bit. i went from a 21.25 eddie v3 w/ 13.875 slammed cs to a 20.5 wifi with 13.1 slammed cs. i ran the eddie at 14" cuz 25/9 and my wifi at 13.25. the twitchyness was unreal but i got used to it when i stopped thinking about it. just dont think about the big difference and you'll adapt just fine.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

4/1/2013 6:58 PM

I went from an '07 wtp addict (20.5" tt, 13.75" - 14" cs)
To a mutiny lucky strike v2.5 (21.25" tt, 14" -14.5" cs)
I'm 6'3" and it was better on my back BUT I def could feel the longer rear end.
I just recently slammed the mutiny, which feels way better.

I'm building an ATF w a 21" tt. It's not finished, but I threw some wheels on and rolled around to see how the tt felt. Couldn't get a good read, but I could ride my wtp. I hope it works ok.

|

Villain'll hold a bike like he's mean and his tummy hurt
In a clean pair, ripped jeans and a bummy shirt

4/1/2013 7:30 PM

If you like the geo of the broadcaster, I'm sure you can find something similar geo wise with a 21 1/4 inch TT. If you're looking for a geo change, go for it with the Rooster, that frame looks super dialed.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

4/1/2013 7:52 PM

Macneil makes some longer top tube frames with some short rear ends i think.....or a fit brian foster frame if you dont care if the chainstays longer

|

4/2/2013 1:22 AM

At 6'2" a 21 toptube will feel great and more roomy.. but i ain't a fan of the 74 ht angle.. other than that, go for it.. i love my 21" broadcaster, but i also like the longer chainstays on my 20.8" Black Pearl and 20.75" Bronson frames, every now and then..

|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand

4/2/2013 6:00 AM

I went from an 18" to a 20.5" and I could still ride my bike.

|

If you're riding your bike to solely become sponsored one day, you're riding for all the wrong reasons.
As cliche as this is, having fun is the point!

4/2/2013 6:37 AM

Im the total opposite im 6'1 went from a 21.25" to a 20" LOVE it dont think ill ever switch to a longer frame again..

|

4/2/2013 11:36 AM

I ride a 21 right now and I'm highly considering going to a 20.75 in the future. I'm a more tech street rider and I need something I can man handle around. Its all what your riding style is determines your feel. Considering you're on a 20.75 broadcaster, why dont you just get the 21.25 broadcaster?

|

Smitten In The Mitten

My Whip:

2013 Sunday Funday Aaron Ross Pro "

Ride For:

42North, Run Jelly Pandas, Michigan Local

4/2/2013 2:11 PM

BreakThruAlec wrote:

I ride a 21 right now and I'm highly considering going to a 20.75 in the future. I'm a more tech street rider and I need something I can man handle around. Its all what your riding style is determines your feel. Considering you're on a 20.75 broadcaster, why dont you just get the 21.25 broadcaster?

ya maybe your right. i dont know what to do. i wish people around my area had extra frames with different geo so i can try them out. its almost like you need a frame with adjustable headtube, bottom bracket, tt, standover height and chainstay. than you can see what you want and buy a frame from that.

|

4/2/2013 5:55 PM

I looked at those frames, they are polar opposites, as far as bmx frames go. The broadcaster is for tech, and the rooster is pure trails. If you do make that change it will feel way different. What do you ride mostly?

|

Villain'll hold a bike like he's mean and his tummy hurt
In a clean pair, ripped jeans and a bummy shirt

6/22/2013 6:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2013 6:38 PM

im 6.0 ft and ride a premium duo 2012, with 8.25 rise bars and 20.75 frame, it sucks for me but i look too tall for my bike, and i need to buy bigger parts but in my shit city we dont have a bmx shop and everything is expensive in this fuckin country of Brazil -.- (im not from el paso, im from a small city in Santa Catarina, Brazil)

|

6/22/2013 6:57 PM

After seeing this thread Re-Born i had a thought.... You can get an S&M BTM with a 21.5" Top Tube but it still has the 13.125" Chain Stay Length. Best of both worlds surely? You get the front end space you want & keep the responsive super short Chain Stays? It also has a whole much more street orientated geometry compared to the majority of longer frames.

|

6/22/2013 7:12 PM

lucas.muller.560 wrote:

im 6.0 ft and ride a premium duo 2012, with 8.25 rise bars and 20.75 frame, it sucks for me but i look too tall for my bike, and i need to buy bigger parts but in my shit city we dont have a bmx shop and everything is expensive in this fuckin country of Brazil -.- (im not from el paso, im from a small city in Santa Catarina, Brazil)

Haha, anyone 6'0" looks too big for a 20" bike, and there's one pic in particular in my bike check where I'm riding with my kids that proves it. My bike looks super small compared to me, and I'm that height. My last bmx bike had a 19"tt length.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

6/22/2013 9:52 PM

im 6'0" and i ride a 20" its just easier to spin and stuff. x-ups are sketchy though.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

8/20/2013 7:26 PM

Chuck8273 wrote:

Haha, anyone 6'0" looks too big for a 20" bike, and there's one pic in particular in my bike check where I'm riding with my kids that proves it. My bike looks super small compared to me, and I'm that height. My last bmx bike had a 19"tt length.

yeah but my arms are too long and makes me look more tall than the others guys that ride with me... what bars i should buy? (sorry for my english im from brazil)

|

8/20/2013 7:58 PM

The premium josh Harrington frame looks decent for a taller guy aswell

|

8/20/2013 9:45 PM

dpesnt take to long to adapt to, went from a jost stricker 20.5 to a sputnic skyline v1 21'' and i love it. still miss the stricker

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

8/21/2013 2:00 AM

Get the BSD Raider frame in 21" and run it slammed. That should be good enough.

|

Back into BMX after 17 years. I just want to learn how to manual dammit!

2012 Fit WiFi Custom

8/21/2013 3:49 AM

I'm 5,3 and I run a 20.85 Stolen Score, I like it a lot but I think a smaller frame would be better for me.

|

bicycle more like bikecycle