question for trail/park riders

Related:
Create New Tag

7/14/2013 3:29 PM

For those of you who rides trails or parks with brakes, I am looking into a new set of pads, I am looking for clear pads, or if not, the dual compound pads made by kool-stop

anyway... I am looking into these pads and want to know if anyone has had any experience with them and whether they liked them or not and which one would generally grip more than the other

-Eclat Force Brake Pads (female bolt)
-Odyssey Ghost Brake Pads
-Odyssey Slim By Four Brake Pads
-Fly Bikes Manual Brake Pads
-Kool-Stop Bmx Brake Pads (dual comound)

which out of these 5 do you think would last the longest or at least grip the most

But although the pads i listed come in clear, they could be the same... or not, what I mean by that is some are designed/sized a bit differently, like the ghost pads being very short over the kool stop pads being longer, this is why i am asking, I want to get a good idea on which pads to go with, also the weather conditions I am in right now is hot and dry (im in riverside)

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

7/14/2013 9:50 PM

I had the fly ones a while back and those stop like a mother. haha they grip good and never wore out! go for em! Oh just dont go full speed down your road and squeak em on purpose and have your neighbors call the cops because they thought a cat got hit by a car.. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/15/2013 1:07 PM

i like the odyssey slim by four pads but i also use chrome rims so really any pads work for me but if you have painted rims the clear ones still rip the paint off so i wouldnt bother getting clear ones

|

Go big or go home

7/15/2013 1:47 PM

madmike12 wrote:

i like the odyssey slim by four pads but i also use chrome rims so really any pads work for me but if you have painted rims the clear ones still rip the paint off so i wouldnt bother getting clear ones

I dont care about the paint, my current ones just drag really bad and I want to really have as much stopping power as i can get..... I am learning brake tricks haha

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

7/15/2013 2:44 PM

If you haven't tried to clean your current pads, you may want to do that first.

Take the pads off your bike and gently sand the surface of them. An emory board (the thing your girlfriend uses to file her nails with) or light sand paper will work.
then clean your rim with glass cleaner or some kind of spray cleaner. Put your pads back on and they should work much better.

I currently run ghost pads on painted rims and they work good. Eventually pads/rims get dusty so I hit 'em w/ a rag and some windex or something.

What dirt jumps are you riding down in portland?

|

7/15/2013 5:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2013 5:22 PM

pnj wrote:

If you haven't tried to clean your current pads, you may want to do that first.

Take the pads off your bike and gently sand the surface of them. An emory board (the thing your girlfriend uses to file her nails with) or light sand paper will work.
then clean your rim with glass cleaner or some kind of spray cleaner. Put your pads back on and they should work much better.

I currently run ghost pads on painted rims and they work good. Eventually pads/rims get dusty so I hit 'em w/ a rag and some windex or something.

What dirt jumps are you riding down in portland?

I actually only ride park, I used to ride trails but honestly never found a full interest, I pointed this question towards trail and park riders because I do believe a majority of bmx riders who ride brakes, are trail and park riders, because not a lot of street riders really ride brakes anymore from what i know, and I will try that whole, sandpaper or emory board thing, sounds interesting

EDIT: what about just sanding the paint off of my rim, and just having the aluminum coming into contact on the pad, i mean, aluminum doesn't rust so it should not be a big deal right?

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

7/15/2013 5:53 PM

Go with the Fly's, they stop pretty great but i usually just go with black pads, this is back in the day about when i rode brakes just so i could learn budabooks and fufnos in a week

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

7/15/2013 6:33 PM

My Ghost pads barely worked and were super loud. My Fly pads are decent. Trying Kool Stop salmon next. Everyone says they're the best.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

7/16/2013 6:09 AM

I run Odyssey slim by 4s on my diatech brakes, on red ano rims. They lock up nicely.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/16/2013 6:58 AM

Snapped a pair of fly pads before but while I had them they were easily some of the best pads I've rode

|