raw frame rust

Related:
Create New Tag

4/27/2016 9:42 PM

They usually rust pretty quickly. So do my frame. Its only surface rust, will it affect the durability?

|

4/27/2016 9:56 PM

As far as I know, just don't submerge your entire frame in water constantly and you should be fine. I don't know how deteriorating rust actually is, but surface rust should be fine, and can be removed quickly only right after it occurs. If you care about looks, dull it down with some acetone or WD40.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

4/27/2016 10:31 PM

Clear coat your frame, that'll stop moisture getting to it and causing rust.

Surface rust isn't an issue, but it can quickly start to eat into the metal if you don't keep an eye on it

|

4/27/2016 11:11 PM

ive let mine rust a bit so its now not silver but sort of a bronze overall
it wont eat the metal unless it gets to be BRIGHT BRIGHT ORANGE and even then, it tends to not attack welds very much ime

grab some 00 steel wool and every so often give it a quick scrub to keep it from building up too much

i honestly think it looks better than cleared raw because clear raw gets spiderwebs of rust that can't be removed like on a completely raw frame (without scrubbing clear off)

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

4/28/2016 1:26 AM

Clearcoated raw frames will only develope surface rust when the cost gets scratched , and you'll only have rust where the scratch is . Actual raw raw frames will develope rust fairly evenly , and you'll notice it faster .

Supposedly someone had a clear raw frame and over time it rusted where the scratches were and looked super sick , it "aged with him" according to my friend

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/28/2016 2:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/28/2016 2:58 AM

On my old frame I clear coated over the surface rust. It ended up looking a treat. It didn't look factory raw, or too ratty. If you don't want it shiney you can use very fine wet n dry. A light rub and it will look like untreated bare metal.

It's the tucked away areas you need to be wary of proper rust, like the join between the bb and stays, stay bridges etc

|

4/29/2016 8:13 AM

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

4/29/2016 8:15 AM

I like it! Its weird because it look like its under the clear.

|

4/29/2016 9:40 AM

Bare metal usually isn't that shiney, I'd be surprised if it wasn't already clear coated and that's just from moisture getting under the clear. I chemically rawed my old frame and it was much duller than that and surface rust appeared really quickly

|

4/29/2016 10:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/29/2016 10:08 AM

So technically, this can happen to any frame that isn't straight out painted? Like the translucent colors too? I have been really considering a raw frame that was clear coated, or a translucent, but this might make me think twice....

I mean, I know that all frames eventually rust. I just want them to be like 10-15 years old before it happens...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

4/29/2016 10:39 AM

It took 3 years to begin and now the frame is 4 years old and look like this

|

4/29/2016 10:42 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

So technically, this can happen to any frame that isn't straight out painted? Like the translucent colors too? I have been really considering a raw frame that was clear coated, or a translucent, but this might make me think twice....

I mean, I know that all frames eventually rust. I just want them to be like 10-15 years old before it happens...

I have an S&M ATF frame that is trans green. Where the finish is scratched or chipped, rust starts eating it's way under the surrounding finish in a kind of spider web pattern. I think a powder coat is better at preventing this, the trans finishes and clear coats are essentially like spray paint, which dosent bond very strongly to the metal and allows rust to spread underneath much more quickly.
A good powder coat is thicker, tougher, and more tightly bonded to the metal, IMO.

|

4/29/2016 10:56 AM

The little worm lines are usually there before the clear or trans is even added (and paint or powder). Only way to get rid of them is sanding them out, then using a really good quality Polish to take any scratches out. It often causes it to look too polished in my opinion though, rather than the natural bare metal.

I've rawed plenty of things and found the best thing to do is just use paint stripper and a bit of elbow grease with a rag. Leaves it looking more natural. Then clear it with a few good coats, then use wet and dry lightly to take the shine out and make it look more like untreated bare metal. Some people like the shiney look though.
A couple of light coats of trans black looks good too, dulls it down a bit but still shiney if you like that

|

4/29/2016 6:53 PM

Photo
Photo

My mac has been like this for a year and a half and nothing has happened structurally. Just got a nice patina
|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

4/29/2016 6:54 PM

loosegrips wrote:

I have an S&M ATF frame that is trans green. Where the finish is scratched or chipped, rust starts eating it's way under the surrounding finish in a kind of spider web pattern. I think a powder coat is better at preventing this, the trans finishes and clear coats are essentially like spray paint, which dosent bond very strongly to the metal and allows rust to spread underneath much more quickly.
A good powder coat is thicker, tougher, and more tightly bonded to the metal, IMO.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I generally don't like painted bikes, but have been liking some of the matte finishes like Verde uses...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

4/29/2016 6:59 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

The little worm lines are usually there before the clear or trans is even added (and paint or powder). Only way to get rid of them is sanding them out, then using a really good quality Polish to take any scratches out. It often causes it to look too polished in my opinion though, rather than the natural bare metal.

I've rawed plenty of things and found the best thing to do is just use paint stripper and a bit of elbow grease with a rag. Leaves it looking more natural. Then clear it with a few good coats, then use wet and dry lightly to take the shine out and make it look more like untreated bare metal. Some people like the shiney look though.
A couple of light coats of trans black looks good too, dulls it down a bit but still shiney if you like that

I will keep this info on record. I still like raw and chrome as my most fav colors. What is "wet and dry"? I do like the look of raw with just a bit of shine so I am not worried about it getting shiny.

So if I get a raw frame, I just have to note whether it has been clear coated or not. If not, I should do that myself.

I realize that it probably won't totally prevent rust, but I want to keep it looking new for as long as I can

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

4/30/2016 12:22 AM

Wet and dry is a really fine grit paper that you dampen slightly to Polish things with.

Yeah, some frames come clear coated, some come without. But it should say in the description.

|

4/30/2016 8:14 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Wet and dry is a really fine grit paper that you dampen slightly to Polish things with.

Yeah, some frames come clear coated, some come without. But it should say in the description.

cool. Glad I saw this before I dove head first into the raw pool. I still probably will get a raw frame though cause they are freakin cool looking. Will just do the maintenance

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

4/30/2016 9:19 AM

When I rawed my last frame I didn't clear coat it, I just let it get a bit of surface rust then kept an eye on it. Spray it with some ptfe or Teflon spray to keep it clean, that will also deter rust. I'm getting tempted to raw my new frame already :/

|

4/30/2016 7:41 PM

i rawed this out in decebember, put on three coats of clear and now it looks like a bronze color all over. Photo

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

4/30/2016 8:38 PM

You guys have some awesome patinas going on! My '16 sunday model c am plus in raw with the shiny clear coat is a beautiful bike but yours looks so much more authentic.

|

4/30/2016 11:46 PM

My bike has some rust spiders too, but the frame don't rust by itself at all, some hits on legdes or anything else did that but whatever, it looks cool.

Here's some pics
Photo

Photo

Photo

|

5/1/2016 12:17 AM

Brokenbmx wrote:

i rawed this out in decebember, put on three coats of clear and now it looks like a bronze color all over. Photo

This looks beautiful! I put a few light coats of trans black over my old frame to dull it down a bit. The bare metal was really light and shineyPhoto

|