rear axle "chirps" when i tighten it?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/26/2014 3:37 PM

Just got a new hub and i run two pegs on it. Whenever i tighten it down it squeaks really loud. I have a hubguard on, and a washer inside of each peg. Im afraid im going to strip out the axle or something, but after im done riding my chain is loose. Is this normal for new hubs? if not what should i do to fix it.

|

virginia beach ~ instagram: @_harru_ ~ 4pegz

2/26/2014 3:49 PM

is it a female hub or male?

|

2/26/2014 3:50 PM

male

|

2/26/2014 3:52 PM

try very lightly greasing the threads, just a little though.

I know new female hubs chirp a lot because the bolts aren't at all greased, but once greased it will stop. so maybe that'll help here

Mine chirps sometimes if I over tighten it

|

2/26/2014 7:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2014 7:23 PM

alright i greased it and switched out the alloy bolts that came with it with chromoly ones and the sounds gone. freaking weight weenies

|

2/26/2014 7:28 PM

sketo wrote:

alright i greased it and switched out the alloy bolts that came with it with chromoly ones and the sounds gone. freaking ...more

Alloy?! Haha well there's your problem, my old Demolition Bulimia front hub had aluminum nuts & chirped like hell whenever I'd tighten them no matter what.

|

2/26/2014 7:43 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Alloy?! Haha well there's your problem, my old Demolition Bulimia front hub had aluminum nuts & chirped like hell whenever ...more

yep xD no idea why anyone would ever use alloy bolts on a chromoly axle

|

2/26/2014 8:08 PM

Only super loud chirping noises came from my POS Demolition Anorexia rear hub. But that's kinda when the hub is blown out. Otherwise, I usually never have issues like that. But yes, always grease female axle bolts and a teeny bit on male axles.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke