rear tire acting funny

Related:
Create New Tag

5/21/2018 9:22 AM

I own a 2012 Fit BF 1 with a weinmann rim in the rear paired to a BSD Donnastreet tire. This combo has caused many blown tubes for no apparent reason. As of last week, I finally got a tube to stay on. The problem is the pressure in the tube goes from 50psi to 110psi in one pump. Anyone know why this is happening?

|

5/21/2018 9:29 AM

Do you have any spokes sticking out into the rim strip that could cause a friction tear in the tube? I had a string of flats for a while there and finally realized one of my spokes was so stretched that it would poke holes in tubes.

Other than that...I got nothin.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/21/2018 10:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2018 6:49 AM

You have a rim strip? Or what he said above about the spokes...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/21/2018 10:13 AM

VenomousDancer1234 wrote:

I own a 2012 Fit BF 1 with a weinmann rim in the rear paired to a BSD Donnastreet tire. This combo has caused many blown tubes ...more

Hard to say without seeing it. in person. If you are constantly getting flats what you aren't really causing yourself, you should check the inside rim area for any sharp edges. If you find any, sand or file them smooth. At the very least be sire those areas have a protective covering (rim strip, rim tape, etc...). As for the pumping issue, I'd say there's either something in the valve, you pump, or your pump isn't contacting the valve properly (not engaging the pin, thereby not providing a place for the air to go when you activate the pump). Check your pump to be sure the pin that is suppose to activate the needle in your valve is there & not broken (a lot of pumps use plastic parts that break easily).

|

5/21/2018 10:15 AM

Do you have a quality pump? Possibly the pump rubber portion that connects to the valve stem is slipping off a bit while you pump and the valve on the stem is closing and the pump still has a bit of a seal so the meter reads higher pressure than the tube is actually receiving? Thats all i can think of off the top cause its just not possible to pump 50 psi in one stroke all at once.

|

5/21/2018 10:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/21/2018 10:35 AM

make sure the pump valve is on the tube valve all the way

|

5/21/2018 10:58 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Do you have a quality pump? Possibly the pump rubber portion that connects to the valve stem is slipping off a bit while you ...more

This is what's going on with your pressure, I'd know because I've experienced it for myself. Make sure your pump is on your valve stem right.

|

5/22/2018 6:22 AM

Sounds like the tyre keeps popping off the rim? Could be a flat spot, or flared walls. Only cure for this is a new rim.
As for the pressure rising suddenly, I'd agree with everyone above, you're not actually putting that much pressure in, it's just the pump head isn't sitting on the valve properly.

|