rear wheel problem

Related:
Create New Tag

2/27/2014 2:48 PM

when i throw my rear wheel in the dropouts,and yes i know how to straighten a wheel and out it on, but when i tighten the left bolt the wheel goes to the left as normal, then i do the right side, and the right bolt pushes it more to the left. or if i tighten the right bolt at all it pushes to the left

|

2/27/2014 2:52 PM

Can you get a video of you trying this?

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

2/27/2014 3:05 PM

Are your dropouts straight? If they are then are you either using pegs or a washer under the axle nut? If not then the nut is tightening directly against the dropout and will have a tendency to "walk" the wheel out of alignment. Tightening the axle nuts a little at a time on each side also helps.

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

2/27/2014 3:09 PM

TKeck wrote:

Are your dropouts straight? If they are then are you either using pegs or a washer under the axle nut? If not then the nut is ...more

That is probably your best bet.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

2/27/2014 3:43 PM

TKeck wrote:

Are your dropouts straight? If they are then are you either using pegs or a washer under the axle nut? If not then the nut is ...more

my dropouts are straight yes, and i have a washer between the two. and i run pegs. i can't get it aligned at all, it completely smushed against the frame so i cannot ride at all.

|

2/27/2014 3:56 PM

You are pulling back on the wheel and trying to hold it in alignment as you tighten the nuts, right? I'm not trying to ask dumb questions, just trying to find out what's going on. I hate to say it but maybe post a picture of the situation and some closeups of the hub and dropouts.

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

2/27/2014 4:25 PM

TKeck wrote:

You are pulling back on the wheel and trying to hold it in alignment as you tighten the nuts, right? I'm not trying to ask ...more

yeah I'm doing what id always do its just being dumb. hold on ill post a vid or pics or something

|

2/27/2014 4:40 PM

Photo
|

2/27/2014 4:44 PM

Step 1: put your tire on the correct way.
Step 2: tighten right side first?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/27/2014 4:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2014 4:55 PM

I assume you're running RHD. Is your chain as tight as it needs to be the way the wheel sits in your picture? If so, leaving your drive side axle nut tight,loosen the axle nut on your peg, pull and hold the wheel in alignment with your peg. Then tighten the nut. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what the problem is.

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

2/27/2014 5:21 PM

TKeck wrote:

I assume you're running RHD. Is your chain as tight as it needs to be the way the wheel sits in your picture? If so, leaving ...more

well, i put it in as i normally would, tighten the left side or whatever a little which of course moves it towards the left side, then tighten the right side a little bit, and it for some reason is pushing even more to the left side. I've done it a million times before but its now suddenly doing this. thanks for the help btw

|

2/27/2014 5:22 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

don't judge lol. it doesn't make a difference. it always presses the tire to the right side on either side I'm tightening

|

2/27/2014 5:28 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

saltyjax139 wrote:

don't judge lol. it doesn't make a difference. it always presses the tire to the right side on either side I'm tightening

I use something to jam in the chainstay. Works like a spacer and I also do the same on the sides so it doesn't go side to side.

|

2/27/2014 5:36 PM

Has anything changed in your rear wheel setup? Do you have any washers sitting inside the dropouts that would cause you to have to spread the rear end to get the hub to fit? Looking at your picture, the components should be in this order from left to right: 1) axle nut, 2)peg, 3) left dropout, 4)hub, 5) right dropout, 6)washer, 7) axle nut. If everything is in that order and you are pulling back on the wheel while tightening each axle nut a little at a time until tight and it still won't stay straight, you've got me stumped. I hope you get it figured out.

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

2/27/2014 5:39 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

I use something to jam in the chainstay. Works like a spacer and I also do the same on the sides so it doesn't go side to ...more

This. Put a piece of wood or something inbetween your tire and the left chainstay/seat stay so that it physically cant push over far enough to rub.
otherwise, make sure there is grease on your bolts and your hardware goes im this order..

Bolt, washer, peg, dropout, hub locknut, hub, hub locknut, dropout, washer, bolt

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/27/2014 5:47 PM

saltyjax139 wrote:

biggybuggy wrote:

I use something to jam in the chainstay. Works like a spacer and I also do the same on the sides so it doesn't go side to ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

This. Put a piece of wood or something inbetween your tire and the left chainstay/seat stay so that it physically cant push ...more

ill try

|

2/27/2014 5:55 PM

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74