reusing spokes

Related:
Create New Tag

1/23/2011 8:36 PM

Is this okay? or should i just stop being a jewish ass and buy new ones haha

|

"Booshy wrote: Oh I forgot about this guy, somehow.. Matt Hoffman! Would love to meet/ ride with him. Or ride him."

bmx_is_rad wrote: Please tap as hard as you like

1/23/2011 8:43 PM

it ok

|

refs: Spikez5, cokacola, dacumup213 (x2), josh estey, Blake El Gingero, naters14, Harry95, pcoco, hattrckhcky, bstick, kevinl, Sunday.bmx21, dgisback, iridebmxeveryday, I RIDE

1/23/2011 8:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2011 8:45 PM

Well I prefer to use new spokes, but if you're on a budget, you can reuse. The problem with reusing is that spokes don't only fatigue from being under tension as you probably expect, but the "J-bend" in the spoke that is at the hub sets into the first hub that it's laced to. Depending on the hub flange and the angle the spoke is at, the "J-bend" at the head of the spoke actually bends to accommodate the spoke holes in the hub. When you try to relace using the same spoke, the spoke will have to bed itself in again, which it often can't do because it has already been bent too far. Even when it can bed itself in again, it causes more fatigue to the spoke.

Bottom line: If you're gonna spend money on good hubs and rims, don't skimp on spokes. If you have no money, it will work, and probably well enough. Be prepared to replace spokes though.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

1/23/2011 9:00 PM

tibug wrote:

Well I prefer to use new spokes, but if you're on a budget, you can reuse. The problem with reusing is that spokes don't only fatigue from being under tension as you probably expect, but the "J-bend" in the spoke that is at the hub sets into the first hub that it's laced to. Depending on the hub flange and the angle the spoke is at, the "J-bend" at the head of the spoke actually bends to accommodate the spoke holes in the hub. When you try to relace using the same spoke, the spoke will have to bed itself in again, which it often can't do because it has already been bent too far. Even when it can bed itself in again, it causes more fatigue to the spoke.

Bottom line: If you're gonna spend money on good hubs and rims, don't skimp on spokes. If you have no money, it will work, and probably well enough. Be prepared to replace spokes though.

thanks man, ill just lace it up and replace as they go

|

"Booshy wrote: Oh I forgot about this guy, somehow.. Matt Hoffman! Would love to meet/ ride with him. Or ride him."

bmx_is_rad wrote: Please tap as hard as you like

1/23/2011 9:00 PM

tibug wrote:

Well I prefer to use new spokes, but if you're on a budget, you can reuse. The problem with reusing is that spokes don't only fatigue from being under tension as you probably expect, but the "J-bend" in the spoke that is at the hub sets into the first hub that it's laced to. Depending on the hub flange and the angle the spoke is at, the "J-bend" at the head of the spoke actually bends to accommodate the spoke holes in the hub. When you try to relace using the same spoke, the spoke will have to bed itself in again, which it often can't do because it has already been bent too far. Even when it can bed itself in again, it causes more fatigue to the spoke.

Bottom line: If you're gonna spend money on good hubs and rims, don't skimp on spokes. If you have no money, it will work, and probably well enough. Be prepared to replace spokes though.

So quit being a Jewish ass and buy new ones basically.

|

1/23/2011 9:00 PM

when i break a spoke i just unlace one from an old wheel but if im making a wheel i use new spokes.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

1/23/2011 9:56 PM

cupovjoe wrote:

when i break a spoke i just unlace one from an old wheel but if im making a wheel i use new spokes.

^^^



I say get new spokes

|

1/23/2011 10:01 PM

i say if they are the right size re-use them

|

refs: Spikez5, cokacola, dacumup213 (x2), josh estey, Blake El Gingero, naters14, Harry95, pcoco, hattrckhcky, bstick, kevinl, Sunday.bmx21, dgisback, iridebmxeveryday, I RIDE

1/23/2011 10:50 PM

dont reuse them once youve used them they get streched out and then they get weaker and you can buy a standard set from albes for a whole 7 bucks

|

bike check http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/ONE-TOUGHT-PODRE,1235558

[LINK TO IMAGE]

refs: fitbikeco77, iridebmxeveryday, nickkkk, floka myers, tinybikerider33, bmxihb321, beastassdick, lee rager

1/24/2011 6:51 AM

tibug wrote:

Well I prefer to use new spokes, but if you're on a budget, you can reuse. The problem with reusing is that spokes don't only fatigue from being under tension as you probably expect, but the "J-bend" in the spoke that is at the hub sets into the first hub that it's laced to. Depending on the hub flange and the angle the spoke is at, the "J-bend" at the head of the spoke actually bends to accommodate the spoke holes in the hub. When you try to relace using the same spoke, the spoke will have to bed itself in again, which it often can't do because it has already been bent too far. Even when it can bed itself in again, it causes more fatigue to the spoke.

Bottom line: If you're gonna spend money on good hubs and rims, don't skimp on spokes. If you have no money, it will work, and probably well enough. Be prepared to replace spokes though.

This. New spokes are a lot easier to lace though, and look nicer. Plus you can play with coloring then, as all you silly kids like to do.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/24/2011 7:09 AM

i'd say reuse them, i have reused my primo spokes at least three times, their still holdin up fine, i havent broke one yet, and i grind without hubguards too lol

|

1/24/2011 10:57 AM

jbeaton13 wrote:

dont reuse them once youve used them they get streched out and then they get weaker and you can buy a standard set from albes for a whole 7 bucks

can i get a link? all i found were the stainless steel ones and for 40 it costs 14 bucks.

|

you can call me Paulo...
Flickr
*Vital's official Filipino!*

1/24/2011 11:01 AM

jbeaton13 wrote:

dont reuse them once youve used them they get streched out and then they get weaker and you can buy a standard set from albes for a whole 7 bucks

kingshawty12 wrote:

can i get a link? all i found were the stainless steel ones and for 40 it costs 14 bucks.

albes.com man i live like 10 mins from them and i paid 7.50 a set for stainless steal spokes so 15$ for front and rear

|

bike check http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/ONE-TOUGHT-PODRE,1235558

[LINK TO IMAGE]

refs: fitbikeco77, iridebmxeveryday, nickkkk, floka myers, tinybikerider33, bmxihb321, beastassdick, lee rager

1/24/2011 11:04 AM

jbeaton13 wrote:

dont reuse them once youve used them they get streched out and then they get weaker and you can buy a standard set from albes for a whole 7 bucks

kingshawty12 wrote:

can i get a link? all i found were the stainless steel ones and for 40 it costs 14 bucks.

jbeaton13 wrote:

albes.com man i live like 10 mins from them and i paid 7.50 a set for stainless steal spokes so 15$ for front and rear

whaa? dude its like 14.50 for 40 stainless steel black spokes on the site. what color did you get?

|

you can call me Paulo...
Flickr
*Vital's official Filipino!*

1/24/2011 11:10 AM

kingshawty12 wrote:

whaa? dude its like 14.50 for 40 stainless steel black spokes on the site. what color did you get?

i got the straight up stainless steel spokes 14gauge lol idk if maybe cuz somtimes there in store price is cheaper than the mail order that sucks man

|

bike check http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/ONE-TOUGHT-PODRE,1235558

[LINK TO IMAGE]

refs: fitbikeco77, iridebmxeveryday, nickkkk, floka myers, tinybikerider33, bmxihb321, beastassdick, lee rager