revolving pegs

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2013 9:36 AM

Yes i know they've been tried before but now ids the time to adopt the technology
Hi guys, I'm in the process of finishing off a prototype of some revolving pegs. They are slightly larger diameter than standard pegs but look just like them in every other way. They will be retailing at around the top end of plastic alloy pegs. With these babies there's no wear or tear and they will fit virtually all axles plus instead of losing momentum when grinding you just roll and roll and roll. You'll be able to do new tricks for far longer with minimal run up and you can leave your shitty wax at home...No more damage to the parks you ride on or the street furniture you use.
These ones don't lock so are not really suitable for flatland.
I'm trying to gauge interest at the moment before I go into production.
If you think its a waste of time, say so
If you are interested, say that as well and I'll continue the thread with you guys
You know the change is coming!

dude

|

12/23/2013 9:39 AM

I thought of this a long time ago. Are you using bearings or what are you using?

|

12/23/2013 9:52 AM

pics

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

12/23/2013 10:16 AM

as a computer aided designer, and avid biker, i can tell you why this is probably not a great idea
these pegs will make icepicks and toothpicks impossible or extremely difficult
grinds will be waaaay to fast on any sort of ledge with a slope
if it locks up for even a second, all the speed you have will stop and fling you otb
noone wants 30 dollar pegs
and last of all, the material must be some sort of plastic composite, or grippy rubber, which means it wont be as sturdy, and there will be wear, the impact alone will cause wear, and the peg will not spin at the exact speed as your bike, causing it to scrape and therefore wear

i recommend extensive testing before putting these into production

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/23/2013 10:23 AM

Each peg uses two bearings and you dont need pegs to do endo's..
BMX tricks are all about balance and co-ordination...revolving pegs wont affect either of those, just enhance them...they will show the men from the boys.

|

12/23/2013 10:25 AM

an endo is different than a toothpick
a toothpick is when you grind only on the front peg

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/23/2013 10:34 AM

bmxsteve, just a few points.
Ice picks and toothpicks will not be impossible just harder and thats what will make the people that CAN do them stand out.
Yes they will be fast on downhill rails, especially compared to what you have now, but I'm sure some bright spark or great rider will start to use the tyre as a form of break...experimentation is what makes us all different.
Even if they locked up they would still slide due to the effects of inertia but they would no way "throw you off"
They don't cost $30 but $20 once the initial axle has been paid for.
I think you must be thinking of aircraft wheels when you talk about delayed rotation. A push bike doing 20 mph will cause negligible wear and a damn sight less that the useless steel or alloy combo pegs which you all seem happy to spend plenty of dollars on already.

|

12/23/2013 10:39 AM

Needs a system where you pull a brake lever and it locks the pegs.

|

12/23/2013 10:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2013 10:42 AM

Don't need rotating pegs... we need simplicity. With rotating pegs, there's more parts and therefore more things that can go wrong. Simple steel pegs have done perfectly for years, no need to go with anything more complex.

I've messed with some plastic peg designs that I thought would improve on the current designs, but scrapped them because I realized one piece steel pegs are the best option.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/23/2013 10:41 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

Needs a system where you pull a brake lever and it locks the pegs.

lol yes because we all know tha kids love brakes.. haha

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

12/23/2013 10:42 AM

briphcook wrote:

bmxsteve, just a few points.
Ice picks and toothpicks will not be impossible just harder and thats what will make the people that CAN do them stand out.
Yes they will be fast on downhill rails, especially compared to what you have now, but I'm sure some bright spark or great rider will start to use the tyre as a form of break...experimentation is what makes us all different.
Even if they locked up they would still slide due to the effects of inertia but they would no way "throw you off"
They don't cost $30 but $20 once the initial axle has been paid for.
I think you must be thinking of aircraft wheels when you talk about delayed rotation. A push bike doing 20 mph will cause negligible wear and a damn sight less that the useless steel or alloy combo pegs which you all seem happy to spend plenty of dollars on already.

useless steel or alloy combo pegs? pull your head out of your ass man
good luck coming out with a brand new concept with little, if any inception into common use in a time of recession and many large companies going out of buisiness, especially in bmx

|

12/23/2013 10:44 AM

I can put in a tiny screw to lock the pegs for flatland work but thats for the future..much too radical...
XXohioanxx..steel pegs haven't done perfectly for years otherwise we wouldn't be seeing metal plastic combos on the streets.
People just made do...

|

12/23/2013 10:44 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Don't need rotating pegs... we need simplicity. With rotating pegs, there's more parts and therefore more things that can go wrong. Simple steel pegs have done perfectly for years, no need to go with anything more complex.

I've messed with some plastic peg designs that I thought would improve on the current designs, but scrapped them because I realized one piece steel pegs are the best option.

this

|

12/23/2013 10:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2013 10:47 AM

briphcook wrote:

I can put in a tiny screw to lock the pegs for flatland work but thats for the future..much too radical...
XXohioanxx..steel pegs haven't done perfectly for years otherwise we wouldn't be seeing metal plastic combos on the streets.
People just made do...

No, they have done perfectly. The reason why plastic pegs are so popular is because trendy brakeless kids are too scared to go more than 5 mph for a grind.

I just want a simple peg that lasts for years and I don't have to worry about anything going wrong.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

12/23/2013 10:47 AM

Cheers bmxsteve i'll do my best.

|

12/23/2013 10:51 AM

It's a neat idea, BUT I don't think it will succeed too well, the reason being that they would have to be a harder composite than current pegs to roll (like a skate wheel) otherwise they would just slide like a standard peg, wearing them out. Too soft for grip and they would be spongy and flexible, causing issues.

Bearings. They would have to be tiny. Tiny bearings cannot handle stress. They would have an incredible side forces and blow out incredibly fast, similar to older Demolition drivers.

Hang Fives, you couldn't do them easily as your peg would roll and your foot would slip off.

Grinds too fast, this could be a danger issue if you are at a spot where there is something pretty close to the end of what you slide, be it a wall, ledge etc.

Honeslty, steel pegs are where it's at. Plastic sleeves/pegs have allowed us to slide on rougher stuff and reduce damage/sound when grinding. Having 4 wide Peg/wheels on the axles would be a poor idea.

We haven't even touched the need for a longer axle either. EVERYONE would need longer axles or bolts to accomodate the spacing for them.

Again, I don't think this will work.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/23/2013 10:56 AM

i know of plenty of riders who have gone through steel pegs in less than a season and up till now just had to put up with it..Steels have had their day and plenty of parks especially private ones are on the verge of banning them once a suitable replacement appears.
What I'm trying to do is offer that replacement but with added functionality.
I know its going to be in for a hard ride as there are plenty of people who dont like change but its a simple device with two bearings so theres very little to go wrong.
i will give it a good thrashing to ensure its up to the job but i believe the hardest bit will be convincing the people who have never even tried them.
The change is coming !

|

12/23/2013 11:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2013 11:05 AM

briphcook wrote:

i know of plenty of riders who have gone through steel pegs in less than a season and up till now just had to put up with it..Steels have had their day and plenty of parks especially private ones are on the verge of banning them once a suitable replacement appears.
What I'm trying to do is offer that replacement but with added functionality.
I know its going to be in for a hard ride as there are plenty of people who dont like change but its a simple device with two bearings so theres very little to go wrong.
i will give it a good thrashing to ensure its up to the job but i believe the hardest bit will be convincing the people who have never even tried them.
The change is coming !

The people going through steel pegs in less than a season will go through rotating pegs in a week at most... You wanna know what's simpler than a device with two bearings? A steel peg.

I don't think you fully understand what could go wrong. The bearings would have to be TINY. From a vertical aspect, landing on a grind would EASILY blow these bearings. From a horizontal aspect, the bearings could blow even easier. Hitting your peg on a wall ride, dropping your bike, and other similar things could easily cause the bearings to blow. Also, if the peg manages to bend in anyway, the bearings would be fucked, too. And if you wanted to use bigger bearings, the peg most likely wouldn't be able to fit on dropouts.

There's a very good reason why all previous revolving pegs failed...

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

12/23/2013 11:06 AM

Dave, even hang five are only about balance. your upper body pitches your balance while your free leg controls it. The static leg just needs to be placed right.
The extended axle mount of your choice will come with the 1st set of pegs
Lots of people wont think it will work so i've got to convince them otherwise.

The change is coming !.

|

12/23/2013 11:07 AM

briphcook wrote:

Dave, even hang five are only about balance. your upper body pitches your balance while your free leg controls it. The static leg just needs to be placed right.
The extended axle mount of your choice will come with the 1st set of pegs
Lots of people wont think it will work so i've got to convince them otherwise.

The change is coming !.

I don't think you realize that revolving pegs have been done before and they all failed miserably...

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

12/23/2013 11:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2013 11:11 AM

What a terrible idea......this will fail, they won't sell and what they do sell will break

|

12/23/2013 11:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2013 11:11 AM

Listen to xxohioanxx... the change you think is coming will mostly be shit, being blunt here...

|

Refs: Four x4, Dolphin, BrokenBMX, Tomdon, ecuadevil...

12/23/2013 11:12 AM

XXohioanxx, hopefully i've engineered all those concerns out. Testing will show me if i have and if i have i will send you a free pair. just so you can chuck them away..
Nothings perfect to start with but things evolve..the future will soon be upon us.

The change is coming !

|

12/23/2013 11:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2013 11:13 AM

briphcook wrote:

XXohioanxx, hopefully i've engineered all those concerns out. Testing will show me if i have and if i have i will send you a free pair. just so you can chuck them away..
Nothings perfect to start with but things evolve..the future will soon be upon us.

The change is coming !

The future? You mean what has already been proven to not work? You can't say nice things to a tiny bearing and give it a warm home to make it stronger...

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

12/23/2013 11:15 AM

even bearings get updated !

The change is coming !

|

12/23/2013 11:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2013 11:19 AM

briphcook wrote:

even bearings get updated !

The change is coming !

If you manage to create a bearing that tiny that can hold up for more than a few grinds, I will give you a blowjob every day for the rest of your life.

But seriously, this idea is WAY too complex and unneeded. Steel pegs are perfect. It's good to try to do new things (Even if these new things have been done before and proven to fail), but this will never be needed.

No ones gonna pay the money and go through the trouble to have a shitty overcomplicated peg.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴

12/23/2013 11:26 AM

well XXohioanxx, i hope you're wrong but thx for the offer of the blow job.
I have to be honest with you and say i only found out today about other revolving pegs done years ago but I'm far to involved with it now to just give up...
I've other ideas too that no doubt will be lambasted but lifes about trying to progress things. we dont give up just because others have failed before otherwise you guys would have never walked on the moon.

|

12/23/2013 11:28 AM

Gay. Why not just take a few extra cranks at the ledge you're grinding

|

12/23/2013 11:33 AM

Forget about hang 5s then if you want pegs that move .... I think this guys drunk or dillusional

|

12/23/2013 11:33 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Gay. Why not just take a few extra cranks at the ledge you're grinding

this

|