rotational weight

Related:
Create New Tag

5/8/2014 11:13 AM

What is rotational weight I was reading some old topics and I saw it and I'm just wondering what ithe is...?

|

5/8/2014 11:18 AM

An extra pound added to one of your wheels adds rotational weight. When the bike isn't moving, it may be 24 pounds, but when the wheels are rolling, it feels heavier.

I think that's what it is.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

5/8/2014 11:31 AM

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

5/8/2014 12:19 PM

So how do you get less rotational weight?

|

5/8/2014 1:18 PM

Just get lighter tires

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/8/2014 11:17 PM

Lighter Wheels and lighter tires. Heavier Rotational Weight makes it harder to Minipulate your bike to go into different directions because of INERTIA. Tricks that involve turning your wheels in a certin direction. Which is pretty much all tricks. Basicaly, the more rotating weight, the more resistance(Inertia). This makes your bike feel heavier and sluggish than it actually is.
Thats why I dont understand all these people running these big heavy ass tires nowadays with 110psi in them. Plus it looks ridiculous and ugly. I dont like running anything bigger than 2.20, theres just no point. Not everybody is going and dropping of 20ft ledges. Plus they were doing it back in the day with normal size tires and it worked just fine, maybe with a blow out here and there. But please somebody give me a good logical reason why people run these FAT tires. I had the new Shadow Valor tires on for a day and that was enough for me, wasted my money on gross sloppy tires. I will probably never run anything but Maxxis, Demolitions, KHE or Premiums. I really love the Premium Refuse Resist Folding. The tread lasts forever. Ive had one for about 4yrs and I keep it as a backup. But seriously it cracks me up to see these kids getting these paper thin, weak ass Frames and then putting these big fat heavy ass tires on, makes no sense.

|

5/9/2014 5:10 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Lighter Wheels and lighter tires. Heavier Rotational Weight makes it harder to Minipulate your bike to go into different ...more

This this this this this.

I agree, 2.2 is the limit. Im currently running 2.25 FAFs which inflate to 2.35 though. I just cant find a better tire than these and the 2.10 version is shit! I just got a set of the folding version so theyre pretty light. The small lost in rotational weight (14oz) makes a HUGE difference.

Basically, rotational weight is wheels and tires. To lose rotational weight, get butted/ti spokes, lighter rims, or lighter tires.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

5/9/2014 7:37 AM

Shortdude wrote:

An extra pound added to one of your wheels adds rotational weight. When the bike isn't moving, it may be 24 pounds, but when ...more

I usually don't have big tires. They annoy me usually. I only like the bigger tires on street because of the lower cornering. Imma probably stick to 2.25 for a bit.

Rotational weight is a big deal. It helps a lot. Get odyssey folding tires if you want really good ones!

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

5/9/2014 7:57 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Lighter Wheels and lighter tires. Heavier Rotational Weight makes it harder to Minipulate your bike to go into different ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

This this this this this.

I agree, 2.2 is the limit. Im currently running 2.25 FAFs which inflate to 2.35 though. I just cant ...more

Animal and Odyssey both make very good tyres in my experience and they both make tyres in smaller sizes.

|

5/9/2014 9:10 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

I personally like fat tires (although I'm running 2.20 in front and 2.10 on back) because it does feel a lot smoother off the big drops. Also, a bigger tire in the front means more stability/control for those riders that are carving the fuck out of bowls.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

5/9/2014 9:23 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Shortdude wrote:

I personally like fat tires (although I'm running 2.20 in front and 2.10 on back) because it does feel a lot smoother off the ...more

IMO thinner tyres are better for carving bowls, as they have less rolling resistance. BMX racers are fine with stability and control with very thin tyres. I'm not saying that there are no advantages of fatter tyres but that's in my opinion not one of them.

|

5/9/2014 9:43 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

If someone likes big tires, who the fuck cares about its weight? If you can 360 with a pair of demolition momentums you can 360 with a pair of 2.35 deharts.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

5/9/2014 9:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2014 9:55 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Shortdude wrote:

I personally like fat tires (although I'm running 2.20 in front and 2.10 on back) because it does feel a lot smoother off the ...more

BMX_Forever wrote:

IMO thinner tyres are better for carving bowls, as they have less rolling resistance. BMX racers are fine with stability and ...more

Eh, maybe you're right. I still like fat tires because ever since I switched out of my 1.95s that I used to use, my wrists haven't hurt as bad coming out of drops. That's my reason for riding them.

This is what I have to say to the people calling other people idiots for the way they ride-everyone has a different opinion on parts.

|

5/9/2014 4:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2014 4:59 PM

michael.eckhart wrote:

Holy crap I love this post Mike.

But as to the big tires, they flex more and have better/more absorbtion of shock to a certain degree, so those kids doing gaps and drops MIGHT get a little cushion for those big drops etc, plus kids like the look.

I agree though, 2.25 is as big as I would want.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/9/2014 4:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2014 4:58 PM

I really like my animal MTT 2.35 (front & back) the bike just feels more stable and solid, nothing against smaller tires tho, but I wouldn't go under 2.2 or over 2.35

Pros and cons to both.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

5/9/2014 5:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2014 5:05 PM

As for rotational weight, my mtt are heavy as fuck compared to the alianation graffit 2.2 folding tires that I was using before them. It does make a difference but only really in the way things feel, a fatter / heavier tire doesn't prevent me from sending any of my tricks, just maybe takes a bit more effort, makes spins feel slower and stuff.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12