shoe pedal grip problems

Related:
Create New Tag

4/21/2014 11:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2014 11:47 PM

So I'm getting back into riding after about 6 years of....well not riding
I got a good deal on a 2011 gt performer so I purchased it and I feel mentally handicapped because I'm starting from scratch again (skill wise)

So anyways when I'm out practicing my hops (bunnyhops, j hop or whatever you prefer) and 180s my feet are constantly sliding/slipping

What are some shoes/pedals you'd recommend?
BTW the few pairs of shoes I own are converse and I ride brakeless

|

4/22/2014 11:25 AM

The grippiest shoes for BMX have little holes at the bottom where the studs or bumps on the pedals can fit into. Vans are a good example but if you ride brakeless you might want to get the Etnies Brake 2.0s mainly because the soles wear down much slower. The Vans will probably be more grippy but they will just wear down very fast. Using metal pedals might help too. Right now I am using Shawn Macintosh pedals and they are super grippy. The only con about metal pedals is that the shinners are much worse.

|

4/22/2014 11:47 AM

Vans all the way.

|

IG: therealclintvessey

{\_/}
( • .•)
/-🚲

4/22/2014 11:48 AM

Majestic_Muffin wrote:

The grippiest shoes for BMX have little holes at the bottom where the studs or bumps on the pedals can fit into. Vans are a ...more

Photo
|

IG: therealclintvessey

{\_/}
( • .•)
/-🚲

4/22/2014 11:51 AM

Majestic_Muffin wrote:

The grippiest shoes for BMX have little holes at the bottom where the studs or bumps on the pedals can fit into. Vans are a ...more

Shortdude wrote: Photo

Lols I have like a million scars on my right shin

|

4/22/2014 12:41 PM

Skate shoes. Most have decent grip.

I run Etnies currently, had good luck with Osiris and Adio.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/22/2014 5:25 PM

Lotek's have real nice grip too... Similar to Vans, but small triangles for pedal grip as opposed to small waffles.

|

4/22/2014 5:31 PM

I am a big fan of Vans. Etnies are good too though. I know that older Osiris's are bad and so are almost all Supra's. So shoes that swagfags would wear are not good for riding. Except if your local swagfags are into wearing Vans.

The are many good pedals out there but I would recommend getting yourself a nice pair of plastic pedals. I have Cult PCs at the moment and they are really nice! Odyssey Twisteds are nice too but they seem to be shaped weird in my opinion (I am very flat footed which may contribute to that a bit), Eclat Surges are pretty good from what I hear and so are Eclat Plazas. My friend LOVES his Stolen Thermalites so I would recommend those as well.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

4/22/2014 7:57 PM

I have the Deco PC2 pedals with medal pins and I never slip a pedal. They're really grippy; I use Lakai skate shoes, and they grip really well also.

|

4/22/2014 8:07 PM

Don't count out adidas. And for pc pedals, get odyssey twisted or cult. Metal, odyssey trailmix pedals are trusted most, but I would recommend to everyone azonic pedals.

|

4/22/2014 8:08 PM

zachkrejmas wrote:

Lotek's have real nice grip too... Similar to Vans, but small triangles for pedal grip as opposed to small waffles.

I second this. My favorite grip pattern so far. They're pretty thick as well and don't wear so quickly.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

4/23/2014 12:24 AM

cheap vans. waffle bottoms are a blessing... and fuck plastic man, youll end up buying new pedals every couple months.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

4/24/2014 9:42 AM

Majestic_Muffin wrote:

Thanks for the tip on shoe soles
I think I'll buy a cheap pair of both and stick with whatever suits me best
The Shawn Macintosh pedals look badass but I remember the pain from those medal pedals...I'll just say there's nothing fun about that

|

4/24/2014 9:48 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Skate shoes. Most have decent grip.

I run Etnies currently, had good luck with Osiris and Adio.

This is what I was thinking but I don't like how most skate shoes look (at least I don't like the majority of the ones I've seen) but the Etnies Brake 2.0 aren't that bad
Even though it's gonna be cheap I want it gripping my pedals and to look decent...or am I asking for too much?

|

4/24/2014 9:54 AM

zachkrejmas wrote:

Never heard of them but I just checked out their site and I'm loving it

|

4/24/2014 10:00 AM

Stocksy wrote:

I am a big fan of Vans. Etnies are good too though. I know that older Osiris's are bad and so are almost all Supra's. So shoes ...more

Yea a lot of people around where I live now where some type of Vans and every now and them I see Supras
I was checking out pedals at a shop in town and I believe I caught sight of a few cult pedals
I'm pretty flat footed too thanks for the help

|

4/24/2014 10:06 AM

maxlikesbikes wrote:

I have the Deco PC2 pedals with medal pins and I never slip a pedal. They're really grippy; I use Lakai skate shoes, and they ...more

Just checked them out on Danscomp and those things look like they'd be hella grippy
I'll have to look into Lakai though. Thanks

|

4/24/2014 10:17 AM

sketchytravis wrote:

cheap vans. waffle bottoms are a blessing... and fuck plastic man, youll end up buying new pedals every couple months.

Photo

Just to be sure
Is this is what you mean by waffle bottoms?
|

4/24/2014 12:03 PM

sketchytravis wrote:

My rubens have lasted almost 2 years so far.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

4/24/2014 6:16 PM

sketchytravis wrote:

T-rider wrote:

My rubens have lasted almost 2 years so far.

I appreciate the input everybody
I'll have to head to the local mall (place has hella skate shops)
I'll be sure to stop inside the Vans store

|