spline drive

Related:
Create New Tag

11/9/2010 3:34 PM

could i use a spline drive sprocket with just regular 48 spline cranks

|

11/9/2010 3:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2010 3:39 PM

yes, because spline drive sprockets are only for 48 splined spindles.

|

11/9/2010 4:15 PM

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

my man knows what's up!

|

11/9/2010 4:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2010 4:21 PM

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

thanks i was just wondering because i thought you needed to buy the profile spline drive cranks to

|

11/9/2010 4:47 PM

srh 420 wrote:

thanks i was just wondering because i thought you needed to buy the profile spline drive cranks to

nope.
companies are starting to come out with "spline drive cranks", but the only difference between those and a normal set of cranks is that the "spline drive cranks" don't have the sprocket bolt hole

|

11/9/2010 4:50 PM

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

srh 420 wrote:

LorenzoGallegos wrote:

nope.
companies are starting to come out with "spline drive cranks", but the only difference between those and a normal set of cranks is that the "spline drive cranks" don't have the sprocket bolt hole

yea i just went on danscomp and looked at them and noticed that but thanks for the info

|

11/9/2010 7:41 PM

Wouldn't having a sprocket bolt hole drilled into the crank arm make it lighter then a "spline drive" crank set?

|

twitter

PROBZ

11/9/2010 7:43 PM

BJ Tomczik wrote:

Wouldn't having a sprocket bolt hole drilled into the crank arm make it lighter then a "spline drive" crank set?

thats a good point but the spline drive cranks are actually lighter but not much i think its like 1 or 2 ozs

|

11/9/2010 10:49 PM

BJ Tomczik wrote:

srh 420 wrote:

thats a good point but the spline drive cranks are actually lighter but not much i think its like 1 or 2 ozs

It's probably cuz they don't have the sprocket boss thing.

|

MY NAME IS NOLAN, NOT JIM
MOTW 06/28/10 - 07/04/10
Refs: spikez5, dallybiker45

11/9/2010 10:56 PM

BJ Tomczik wrote:

do you mean cranks without the sprocket bolt boss, just a threaded hole in the crank?

that could cause a few different weakness issues, such as there being nothing for the sprocket to butt up against, so just slightly over tightening the bolt would easily warp the sprocket. plus the crank would be weaker in the area of the hole, and a few other reasons that i can think of just off the top of my head.

|

email- brplante@hotmail.com
refs: irideafly ... thor_davis

11/9/2010 11:05 PM

brplante wrote:

do you mean cranks without the sprocket bolt boss, just a threaded hole in the crank?

that could cause a few different weakness issues, such as there being nothing for the sprocket to butt up against, so just slightly over tightening the bolt would easily warp the sprocket. plus the crank would be weaker in the area of the hole, and a few other reasons that i can think of just off the top of my head.

Smart man.

@ OP, indeedy.

|

11/9/2010 11:21 PM

BJ Tomczik wrote:

brplante wrote:

bmx_is_rad wrote:

Smart man.

@ OP, indeedy.

word bro, thanks hah

|

email- brplante@hotmail.com
refs: irideafly ... thor_davis

4/24/2012 6:58 PM

wait so you can use spline drive cranks with a normal set up right?

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Email: benignimatt@gmail.com
Xbox GT: CreeD Viibez

4/24/2012 7:46 PM

matt X stolen X bmx wrote:

wait so you can use spline drive cranks with a normal set up right?

you could, just leave the bolt out, kind of takes away from the whole idea though, not that i am impressed by the whole idea anyway.. internet rant time. just skip the rest if you're not interested in my thought vomit.

strength advantage? I've never broken a set of cranks where the bolt hole is, only at the welds, and they wern't profiles, have you?

doesn't warp or "pull" the sprocket towards the crank arm; neither does the set of non spline drive cranks i run now, the sprocket mounting surface on the spindle boss is flush with the bolt hole. believing this is acknowledging that every used non spline drive sprocket is bent or warped. sounds like either garbage or some pull that is so minute that i shouldn't be worried about it. are you worried about it? i find it humorous that people rode around bikes with sprockets bolted to the crank arm for decades and noone ever said "shit this is a faulty design.. my sprockets are all warped!!"

lighter? maybe, i see this argument like the argument in favor of cutting your flanges and 1/4" of axle sticking out in favor of saving that .1 ounce. i guess it all adds up.. whats 0.1+0.1+0.1?? anyone?

looks cleaner? yes. it does. and i may even feel the need to blow $200 on each of my bikes to make them spline drive. I'm also getting diamonds set in my g-shock watch because I'm a wanna be baller. /rant

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

a08's Street Build

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND

WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims