spokes

Related:
Create New Tag

2/9/2010 2:40 PM

how do i know when to get them tighted/the wheel trued? right now i squeeze them and they move a few mm and make a churping sound.its the first time id get it trued if that helps

|

2/9/2010 2:43 PM

thats fine. they should be able to move a tiny tiny bit. only get your wheel trued if it isnt straight

|

refs: justridebmx, four, kingpin, Alex_DeWitt, Michael_Howard, bmxrider000, TokenBMX(x2)
member of the week 2/22/10 - 2/28/10

2/9/2010 2:54 PM

ok good cause my wheels still really tru

|

2/9/2010 3:23 PM

well i need to tighten my spokes and if i pull the tube and tire off the nipples have like a place to use a screw driver csn i just turn them right there ?

|

2/9/2010 8:45 PM

^

|

2/9/2010 8:53 PM

bmxjake17 wrote:

well i need to tighten my spokes and if i pull the tube and tire off the nipples have like a place to use a screw driver csn i just turn them right there ?

wtf r u talking about i cant even help u thats so confusing lol

|

2/9/2010 8:58 PM

if u pull of the tube and the tire the back of the nipples have a line were it looks like u could put a flathead screwdriver and then turn it to tighten or loosten it

|

2/9/2010 8:59 PM

uhh i use a spoke wrench on the nipple i use a spoke wrench

|

2/10/2010 4:54 PM

bump i think im gona get them tighted i here the churp when i ride

|

2/10/2010 5:11 PM

You should keep your wheels tensioned correctly as well as trued. Case-in-point, I run an Odyssey Midway laced with 14 gauge Primo spokes to a Hazard V3 hub. The rim is incredibly strong and never seems to go out of true, but it does lose tension. Sometimes it's hard to notice. A wheel that is not properly tensioned will suffer from increased flex (hence the noise you hear), spokes will be more likely to break, and the rim more likely to develop flat spots. It will absolutely blow to ride on.

Get them tensioned up. You can do it yourself, but if you do, be sure not to over tension them, and be sure to tighten each spoke nipple the same amount, or else you risking knocking the wheel out of true.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

2/10/2010 5:50 PM

tibug wrote:

You should keep your wheels tensioned correctly as well as trued. Case-in-point, I run an Odyssey Midway laced with 14 gauge Primo spokes to a Hazard V3 hub. The rim is incredibly strong and never seems to go out of true, but it does lose tension. Sometimes it's hard to notice. A wheel that is not properly tensioned will suffer from increased flex (hence the noise you hear), spokes will be more likely to break, and the rim more likely to develop flat spots. It will absolutely blow to ride on.

Get them tensioned up. You can do it yourself, but if you do, be sure not to over tension them, and be sure to tighten each spoke nipple the same amount, or else you risking knocking the wheel out of true.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

but how tight is too tight?

|

ferthebirdz wrote: my pegs are called cranks..

2/10/2010 6:11 PM

brentrides wrote:

but how tight is too tight?

You can measure spoke tension with a calibrated gauge, such as this Park Tool one.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2539-00'

A typical tension on a wheel on the drive side will be around 120 kgf. Non-drive side will be a lot less (so that the wheel stays in correct dish....centering over the axle) Some wheels can handle much higher than this.

An experienced wheel builder will probably be able to tell if the wheel is tensioned way too high without a tensiometer, although every wheel is different, so even an experienced one will not know for sure.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

2/10/2010 6:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2016 12:54 AM

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

2/10/2010 8:00 PM

thanks that helped tibug.im just gonna have my buddy tighten them up so i dont get the wheel out of tru

|

2/10/2010 8:35 PM

tibug wrote:

You should keep your wheels tensioned correctly as well as trued. Case-in-point, I run an Odyssey Midway laced with 14 gauge Primo spokes to a Hazard V3 hub. The rim is incredibly strong and never seems to go out of true, but it does lose tension. Sometimes it's hard to notice. A wheel that is not properly tensioned will suffer from increased flex (hence the noise you hear), spokes will be more likely to break, and the rim more likely to develop flat spots. It will absolutely blow to ride on.

Get them tensioned up. You can do it yourself, but if you do, be sure not to over tension them, and be sure to tighten each spoke nipple the same amount, or else you risking knocking the wheel out of true.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

brentrides wrote:

but how tight is too tight?

tibug wrote:

You can measure spoke tension with a calibrated gauge, such as this Park Tool one.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2539-00'

A typical tension on a wheel on the drive side will be around 120 kgf. Non-drive side will be a lot less (so that the wheel stays in correct dish....centering over the axle) Some wheels can handle much higher than this.

An experienced wheel builder will probably be able to tell if the wheel is tensioned way too high without a tensiometer, although every wheel is different, so even an experienced one will not know for sure.

damn dont want to buy a tool for that
there is no other way to tell without a tool?

|

ferthebirdz wrote: my pegs are called cranks..

2/10/2010 8:43 PM

also tibug what size spoke wrench would i need for the park tools one i got 14g odyssey spokes with the nipples they come with.also when i tighten them i do one side at at i time and tension them all the same right?

|

2/10/2010 8:50 PM

AndySubrosa8 wrote:

also tibug what size spoke wrench would i need for the park tools one i got 14g odyssey spokes with the nipples they come with.also when i tighten them i do one side at at i time and tension them all the same right?

the red park tools one
i have odyssey spokes too and thats what i use

|

ferthebirdz wrote: my pegs are called cranks..

2/10/2010 8:56 PM

spokes need to felx a tiny bit to absorb impact but your seem fine, but it would help to buy a soke wrench from your local shop and go on you tube and search How to true wheels

|

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
signature to help him gain world domination.

2/10/2010 8:56 PM

ok thanks.with the silver nipples right?

|

2/10/2010 8:57 PM

AndySubrosa8 wrote:

ok thanks.with the silver nipples right?

yea

|

ferthebirdz wrote: my pegs are called cranks..

2/10/2010 9:36 PM

tighten every third spoke.i tiny bit,but dont if its already tight.motocross trick

|

if you ride scooters than you should killyourself

2/10/2010 9:42 PM

haha k thanks

|

2/10/2010 9:59 PM

wesleytramel wrote:

uhh i use a spoke wrench on the nipple i use a spoke wrench

Good thats what u should use but idk how u dont get the point as in the dude doesnt have a spoke wrench

|

BUKLAU!