squeaking noise coming from pedal area.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/23/2014 11:48 PM

Hi guys. I'm really new to bmx and just bought my first bmx from my local shop the Radio Saiko http://www.radiobikes.com/completebikes/17-saiko. I've had it less than a week and today it has just started to squeak when going up a hill or when pedaling hard on the right pedal. Ive tried to locate where exactly the squeak is coming from but it is hard to do while riding. Any help Solving this promblem is greatly appreciated.

|

3/24/2014 12:29 AM

Take apart your cranks, clean and re-grease.

|

3/24/2014 12:36 AM

Thanks. Wouldn't of thought a new bike would need re greasing already.

|

3/24/2014 1:01 AM

New bikes need it since new bikes need time to have the parts settle in, such as the spokes making their grooves in the hubs, chains wearing into the sprockets, etc. Especially stuff like areas that need greasing, usually the people assembling do not do this. The shop I work at usually does.

I would bet money on it being the crank arm squeaking. Take the crank arms off using the correct sized tools, do 1 at a time so it's easier & the spindle stays put. So take the left arm off by loosening the pinch bolt first, then the main bolt (middle bolt), put some grease on the spindle splines, then put the arm back on & tighten the main bolt (middle bolt) first but don't overtighten it, then tighten the pinch bolt. Now for the left side, loosen the sprocket bolt first & take the bolt out (if it has one) then loosen the crank arm like you did the other one, take the arm off & put grease on the splines, put the arm back on then tighten the sprocket bolt just a few turns to stick it in place, then do the crank arm bolts, then come back & tighten the sprocket bolt fully.

The reason I say take the sprocket off is because if you don't & you leave the bolt tight on the arm, then put it back together, it can cause unevenness & make your sprocket appear bent & throw the chain tension off. Doing what I said to do will ensure that won't happen.

|

3/24/2014 1:14 AM

Thanks for your clear description on how to fix it. Hopfuly it removes the problem.

|

3/24/2014 6:46 AM

grease fixes everything.

|

3/24/2014 6:46 AM

What brian said

|

3/25/2014 12:52 AM

Fixed it today. It was the crank arms. Thank for all of your help.

|